Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:59 pm 

Hi,

I just ordered a LS II and want to debianize it. I have a dbox2 and I want to stream its DVB-C-data on the LS. Does anyone has any experiences with the Perfomance of a LS II with running Apache (php-Support), Samba, FTP and nfs (>4GB support)?
It is the bandwith enough for Streaming?
Is there a difference to the "normal" firmware?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:03 pm 

Have a look at the hacking howto which has a small performance comparison between PPC and MIPS Linkstation. Perhaps this does help.
You should experience no difference between the original and the debianized version except of perhaps more swapping when you use a lof more memory than the quite small original does.
Generally apache2 takes a lot of memory (I think mine consumed round about 20MB of the available 64)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:28 pm 

> I have a dbox2 and I want to stream its DVB-C-data on the LS

Yes, that's not that uncommon here :-).

> Does anyone has any experiences with the Perfomance of a LS II with running Apache (php-Support), Samba, FTP and nfs (>4GB support)?

Do a search on the forums and you'll find other posts related to the dbox and streaming. I don't use Apache, Samba or FTP (which is a security nightmare, with Apache you should at least try to switch to WebDAV) - I switched to lighttpd as a webserver, it is really fast and comes with fastcgi integration - and works well with Ruby on Rails. I also use my LinkStation as an AFP server with Netatalk 2 and of course NFS for my dboxII. I did write an article for the Wiki here with information on NFS on MIPSel LinkStations.

> It is the bandwith enough for Streaming?

Of course there is enough bandwidth. The main bottleneck is the slow ethernet interface on the dboxII running at 10BaseT half duplex. That's a maximum theoretical throughput of 1.2MB/sec. - which is no problem for the LinkStation. I get about 4-6MB/sec. with NFS on my PowerBook (and 6-8MB/sec. with AFP). There might be problems on the dbox when you have movies on "Premiere" in 16/9 format and two language versions + 5.1 sound, but the LinkStation can cope with that.

> Is there a difference to the "normal" firmware?

Of course, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to provide them here :-). There are different way to achive a Debian conversion, either you try FreeLink, which works like a normal Firmware update or you try the 'debil' script, which swaps partitions around and keeps the original firmware for swapping back (but do look at the bugtracker or you'll end up with an unreachable box).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:10 pm 

Hi
>a Debian conversion, either you try FreeLink, which works like a normal Firmware

Is there a FreeLink version for the MIPSel LinkStation II? I thougth it's only for PPC.

Stevie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:52 pm 

> Is there a FreeLink version for the MIPSel LinkStation II?

There is no official version available yet - but it's being worked on. There seem to be some major differences between MIPSel and PPC LinkStation, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:07 pm 

Hi
@ultravelours: that's what I wanted to hear, but didn't want to ask Smile
Because I own a LS II and don't have enough Linux knowledge to install debil-0.1

BTW did you know, that debil in German means: moronic. Certainly Markus Geishüttner knew

Stevie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:19 pm 

> BDW did you know, that debil in German means: moronic.

Yes. Have a look at [url=user2.html]my forum user page[/url] or my Wiki profile. :-)