Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:37 pm 

I'm attempting to design my own website and serve it using the LSII. I'm slowly getting there but have a few questions regarding using Frontpage to design the website.
In order for all the features of Frontpage to work correctly, you must have Frontpage Server Extensions installed on the server. There are packages out there designed for Linux systems but I'm not sure which ones are suitable for the LS. I know you can run the website without the extensions but greatly functionality is given with them installed.
Has anyone tried installing the extensions on a LSII and, if so, how did you do it and which package did you use. Here's a website which has all the available Linux packages:

http://www.rtr.com/fpsupport/fp2002sr1_download.htm
I know this probably a little off topic but hope someone can advise and offer some help. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:44 pm 

Here's a website which has all the available Linux packages

There's nothing appropriate on that site for the LinkStation. Binaries for SGI are for MIPS processors - but they are for IRIX, not Linux. So you're probably stuck, unless you get "rtr" to compile their stuff for LINUX/mipsel.

On the other hand that's not really that bad, as there are much better environments for web-development than Frontpage. Get yourself a decent editor and get used to HTML (it's not that hard, and you'll beed it even if you want to use Frontpage).

If you want some kind of interaction on your websites, there are plenty of scripts available. And languages like PHP give you all the power you need on every system you want (being open source software), so you avoid that kind of "vendor lock-in" Microsoft tries to put you in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I agree but you can use Frontpage without utilising the extensions so will probably opt for that. I haven't heard of PHP, can you point me in the direction to get more information?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:59 pm 

This wiki and forum run on PHP :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:28 am 

I haven't heard of PHP, can you point me in the direction to get more information?

Well, obviously you can look at the PHP Website, but there are a million tutorials online to get yourself started (and hundreds of books). It's not hard and you'll find a lot of people being able to help you. There are several newsgroups for PHP in various languages.

Regarding Frontpage: If you already own it, you might give it a try. Otherwise you better avoid it, as it usually produces some really bad markup (especially if it's an older version). The main problem is IMHO, that it offers so many useless "convenience features" to make it behave like e.g. Word or Pagemaker, while HTML markup is something different.

OTOH every one of us has to create some kind of "my first website" to look back at and shudder in disgust after a year or so :-). So start out with Frontpage until you reach it's limits, then throw it away and learn HTML coding. Or just start out with that and don't bother with Frontpage. If you really need some kind of visual help, you can check out Mozilla Composer oder the split-off NVU.

But don't expect too much from any of those pseudo-WYSIWYG tools, as they tend to bloat your markup. If you write it with a good editor all by yourself you can be concise and focused on structure and content. That not only sounds good, it gives you nice things like "easy maintenance", "scalability (it works on your cellphone as well)", "short loading times", "compatibilty" etc. - it's simply better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:52 pm 

Thanks for so much information. I have Frontpage 2002 but after reading your advice will probably stay clear! Seems like MS have yet again made something more complicated than it needs be!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:28 pm 

Has anyone tried running Apache on the LS II? This looks a much better web server than thttpd and is more versatile with what you can do. Probably a bit beyond my current ability but just wondered if anyone else had tried installing it??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:26 pm 

I ran Apache on my Debian-converted PPC LinkStation. I like Apache much more than thttpd. You'll need the MIPSel tools package to be able to comiple Apache on your LinkStation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:20 pm 

Thanks I may give that a go after doing a bit more reading about Linux and compiling programs.

If I decide to install the Mipsel tools package, do I simply copy it to the root directory (/) and unpack from there?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:28 pm 

The tools package has an installation script. Check the included README.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:39 pm 

All done, thanks. All I have to do now is work out how to compile Apache! However I think I need to sort out external access problems mentioned on another thread - this is causing me real headaches!