Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 1TB LS2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:29 pm 

I have been playing around with my 250GB LS2 and Twonky serving video to a PS3 and have been really impressed with how well it works. I have therefore decided I need to make some more space for all the movies I am going to put on the LS.

Having read several topics about upgrading hard disks I have decided to try and fit a 1TB SATA drive (Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ) with a SATA to IDE adaptor. I have stripped my backup LS2 down and think I have ordered the correct pieces to fit everything in the space available. Depending on delivery times I may get to play this weekend....otherwise it might have to wait until next.

I have a few questions which I would like answering if possible to ease this attempt:

1) What size partitions would people recommend? While the lids off and I don't have any data it is ideal to get the sizes right now.
2) Should I stick with Freelink that does all I need (SAMBA, SANE, CUPS, TWONKY, RSYNC, timed sleep/wake)?
3) I know about the double flash requirement, but how long do you think I need to leave between after the first flash to allow a 1TB drive to format? I don't want to have to install a hard disk activity LED...will the disk full LED give me enough feedback? Would it be easier to create the partitions in magic live cd before trying the first flash?
4) Any words of wisdom...?

I will post pictures and results if I get it all working.....or just some words of warning if I don't :(

Wish me luck.

Freelink - SAMBA for Windows file access, CUPS for printing, SANE for remote scanning (using an Epson RX560 printer/scanner).
Twonky media server for Roku and PS3.

Post subject: Re: 1TB LS2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:32 pm 
Betatester

yavin_master wrote:
4) Any words of wisdom...?

Installing foonas-em will repartition your hdd and install freelink for you - which might make lighter work ?

It partitioned mine:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 9.2G 438M 8.3G 5% /
tmpfs 30M 0 30M 0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs 30M 0 30M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda3 220G 178M 220G 1% /mnt/hda

9.2G is large I know (whats a few G in a T ?! )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:34 am 

Well my progress isn't great. The SATA to ATA adaptor I bought from ebay wasn't as per the photo so wouldn't fit but I thought I would at least try to get it working out of the case....but this didn't work either.

I connected the drive to a PC with a SATA to USB adaptor and it worked (once I had forced it down to 1.5Gb/s with the relevant jumper). I then used the SATA to ATA adaptor and a ATA to USB adaptor but it didn't work.
:down:

Doing some more research it appears that some of these adaptors have a limit of around 140GB. I am therefore now waiting for several suppliers to reply to my question as to whether they have an adaptor without this limit. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

More progress later.

Freelink - SAMBA for Windows file access, CUPS for printing, SANE for remote scanning (using an Epson RX560 printer/scanner).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 am 
Site Admin

someone should buy these
http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... l=ja&tl=en

and test them. they were originally made for the popwerpc based kuroboxes , but they will fit in the LS1/LS2/LS HG/ LS HS

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:25 pm 

Well I now have a 1TB SATA drive working with my LS2. I still have to do some playing to get the box back together again with the IDE-SATA adaptor. It should fit on top of the disk but I need a little spare time to ease it into place.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

hi yavin_master,

I've been watching your progress here since it is something that all of us Pre-ARM (PPC & mipsel) LS users could benefit from... any chance you could supply us w/ a part # , info about spacing and any mods you used?

It might make for an interesting upgrade article.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:06 pm 

I have taken some photos (as much for my reference) and can certainly provide a parts list and some guidance on things I have learned.

Here is a starter for those who want to jump straight in:

sata to ide adaptor - http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11623
You can get some of ebay which are less than the £11 here, but I had trouble with them either not looking like their photos or not being compatible with 1TB drives.

1TB drive - Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* (£71 from ebuyer)

As space is tight you will also need some downward facing connectors for power (I got a molex to twin SATA power cable and used one of the legs to power the adaptor) and SATA for data.

Here are some key points that might help:

1) Some SATA-IDE adaptors have difficulty auto-negotiating down to 1.5. The Samsung drive I used had a jumper setting which forced the speed down.

2) The adaptor I used is designed for plugging into a motherboard. In order to connect it to the LS2 cable I used an IDE genderchanger and some lengths of wire.....I will explain more. You can't just use an IDE gender changer as the top and bottom pins will be tranposed (trust me). I used the gender changer to connect the top pins to the bottom pins then used lengths of wire to connect the bottom to the top. Some photos will help with this. Another way to do this might be to use a short IDE cable and two gender changes to move top to bottom and back to top again.

3) I used the double flash technique to format the drive and install Freelink. Double press the reset button to put the box into EM mode. Use the firmare upgrade tool to locate and start the firmware upload. It will fail the first time around as the drive is first formatting. To format the 1TB drive by the LS took about 2.5 hours. You know when it is completed as pressing the search button on the fireware upgrade tool finds the LS again. A second attempt at upgrading the firmware should work. I played about with repartitioning the drive with Knoppix but kept on having problems (each time a different one) - and yes I did use the fix_ext2_magic tool. So I ended up leaving alone.

4) I had problems installing SAMBA etc as versions appear to have changed since most of the guides on this website (and since I last moved a box to Freelink). I changed /etc/apt/sources.list to point to etch. This meant that Samba 3 was installed so my old smb.conf was wrong and needed updating.

I still haven't got the case closed but I am hoping there is enough space to do this.

The drive has been running out of the box for over a week and I have copied over about 100GB including some videos. The videos play fine on the PS3 with Twonky so the speed doesn't appear to be too bad. I am considering this as a short term solution as my "main" server and a long term solution as a backup server - as soon as the Buffalo Linkstation Pro XHL is available in the UK (at a sensible price) I think I will be upgrading.

Let me know if anyone needs to know any specifics, but hopefully this is of some help.