Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 am 

already read a lot of topics about replacing HDs at the LS2 here, but...

The 250GB Disk in my LS is filled about 90% - so it's time to think about alternatives. Has anyone replaced the disk with an Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500 GB (HDP725050GLAT80)?

Any other recommendations? HD should be available in Germany. 500GB seem to be the biggest capacity available with IDE :cry:

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:46 pm 

You can get IDE drives up to 750Gb. My LS1 has 750Gb Seagate IDE drive so I see no reason why the LS2 should not work with them as well. I have another LS1 with a 1.5TB drive - but I had to use a SATA-IDE converter for that as they do not make IDE drives that large.

The trick with large drives is that after you have put them in (unpartitioned) and run the firmware flasher to initialise them it will always fail the first time because it does not wait long enough for the format process to finish. You need to wait until all disk activity finishes (which can take 30 minutes or more), and then try again - the second time it should work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:50 pm 

Nice to talk about it :D

I did'nt know about these adapters. Can you recommend an adapter? google says some adapters are very slow, others work sometimes and some don't work at all.

It would be great to have an 1TB SATA disk in the LS2. Is there enough space in the case for the adapter to fit?

thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:09 pm 

It depends on what type of adapter you buy! So far all the ones I have bought have worked fine.

There are some that fit on the back of a drive - to use these one would have to cut holes in the case. I have used these to allow me to use SATA drives in a TeraStation, where there is a bit more space than in a linkStation.

The one I used on the linkstation is a separate board - and it is small enough to fit between the drive and the motherboard. The IDE cable and power plug into one end of the board, and then a short SATA cable connect across to the drive. I had to look hard for one that had a male IDE connector on board - most of them seemed to have a female connector. I was originally thinking I would have to buy the board with a female IDE connector and then swap the connector for a male one until I finally spotted just what I wanted.

I actually got all the adpaters I have used via ebay - and at the moment I cannot see a listing for the exact one I got for the LS1 at the moment. They were very cheap so not much risk even if the one you get is not quite what you want. For me they were of the order of £3-£4 (including postage) from hong kong/china. The thing to do is to make sure the converter is for a SATA drive to an IDE host - many of them are for going the other way (plugging IDE devices into SATA motherboards).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:05 pm 

Ordered an IDE-SATA converter today and will test it with an old SATA drive. If that works and fits into the case I'll buy a new 1TB drive (perhaps WD10EACS 1 TB (Caviar Green)). If not I'll swap to a 750GB ST 3750640A.

I'll keep you informed ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:46 pm 

Got the converter yesterday. It is an AD0008 from LogiLink. I disassembled the LS2 and had a look...

• The connector of the IDE-cable is directly solded onto the mainboard an has < 2" of cable. Without extending the cable it is impossible to install this converter.
  • The space behind the disk is ~ 1/2". Buffalo uses very short connectors here. Normal SATA-connectors will not fit.

So I will not replace the disk with SATA. Then I looked for a 750GB IDE disk. The ST3750640 was the only one listed as available here. I talked to some shops and no one had this disk or any other 750GB disk really in stock :down:

I think I'll consult my pillow and buy a new nas. Possible would be:

• Buffalo LinkStation Pro 1TB or
  • QNAP Turbostation TS-109 Pro II & WD Green WD10EACS 1000GB

thanks and greetz

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 pm 

Hi,

sorry, but I must pull this topic up ;-)

I have to upgrade my LS2 250GB HDD.
I have openlink firmware installed.

I have already a new 400GB HDD.

The question is, can I directly clone the HDD and resize the Partitions after that step and the new HDD will work/boot?

Or do I have to do additional steps?

Often I read about 2 times to flash. But then the users want to setup the system new!?

Thanks