Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Data Recovery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:01 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello,

The Second TS Live that my company purchased failed, so they bought a third (don't ask). I have the second one sitting next to me and on the screen it says "Emergency Mode No Array Info". I cannot access my TS Live shares or the http interface. I want to throw three of the drives from the second one into the third one and rebuild my array to recover my data. I have never really worked with RAID before but from what I understand about a four disk RAID 5 array, this is possible.

My questions are:

1) If I rebuild me array using the process described above, and will I loose any data?

and

2) How can I rebuild my array on the TS Live?

Buffalo's tech support is somewhat lackluster to be kind, but I think that someone here should be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Data Recovery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:23 am 
Site Admin

read http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Data_Recovery

especially http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Data_R ... S_Explorer

if the data is important (which i am sure is) get all hdds out of the box (mark them where they were), connect all of the to another desktop and check if you see the array in UFS explorer....

i would not hope that the raid recovers....although i haven`t heard that anyone lost data by doing so. but you never know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:58 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the info.

I have the serial port of the working TS Live connected to my computer (not the UPS one, the one inside; had to solder some wires to the board and use a level shifter I had sitting around). Couldn't I put the old drives into the working TS Live and use
Code:
mdadm --assemble --uuid %{old array uuid} /dev/sd*6

to resync the old array making it possible to mount the raid array on the working TS Live? Alternatively, would it be possible to manually edit the mdadm.conf file using the old array's UUID to make it work? I'm trying to avoid purchasing anything if I don't absolutely have to. Also

Thanks again,

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

read the old threads...it should be possible to recover the raid from commandline...even in your tera live in em mode.