Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:13 am 

I just purchased a Buffalo Terastation Live and was wondering if it's possible to update the firmware on it to enhance the features on it. It's not clear from the forum and wiki posts if the Terastation Live with the ARM processor is upgradable or not. I would love to get get Active Directory support on it and improve security. Thanks.

--tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 am 
Site Admin

actually i would use the stock firmware...no need to update the firmware at all. i`ll summarize some things here and make this thread sticky. i also renamed it to "Terastation Pro v2 / Terastation Live INFO & FACTS" and moved it to
viewforum.php?f=37

Facts:

1) This is how a typical start of a Tera Pro v2/Tera Live looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE8UhALlZGg

2) Use acp_commander to get access via telnet:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/TOOLS/ ... README.TXT
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/TOOLS/ ... mander.jar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrg1F70BJYc

3) most (if not all) of http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Open_Stock_Firmware works for the Terastation Pro v2/Terastation Live.

4) bootstrapping to the MSSII-optware package feed works.
just follow the instructions of viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4075&p=39162#p39162 and you will be able to installing loads of packages from here:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q3armel/cross/stable/

all things get installed to /mnt/array1/opt....so there shouln`t be a storage space issue as everything is installed on the big data raid container.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:51 am 

Thanks for the response. Are there any hardware advantages with the Terastation Pro v2 over the Terastation Live? The Pro v2 is twice as much as the Live version. And all things considered, the software funcationality would be equivalent since we can upgrade it?

--tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Admin

the main difference between the Pro v2 and the Live version is the software. The pro v2 allows Active Directory Integration.
The live does not feature this but has a DLNA Media server included.

regardless what you buy, you can get both functionallity with config editing from the commandline via installing the optware feed.

Active Directory has to do with LDAP and Samba.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:42 pm 

-I would like to find a silent nas. I recall reading that the original Terastation was more silent then the Pro v1, does anyone know how the newer models compare?

-Is the main source of noise the disks, or is the fan loud too?

-Is the fan a steady source of noise or more silent, and suddenly loud?

-Are the fans some standard size? Which model?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:34 pm 
Total Newbie

Dos any body know where I could find a step by step guide on how to join a TeraStation Live (NOT PRO) into my windows Domain for file permissions and getting the TeraStation talking with Active Directory, using LDAP and Samba? Has anyone managed to do this yet?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:48 pm 

dropadrop wrote:
-I would like to find a silent nas. I recall reading that the original Terastation was more silent then the Pro v1, does anyone know how the newer models compare?

-Is the main source of noise the disks, or is the fan loud too?

-Is the fan a steady source of noise or more silent, and suddenly loud?

-Are the fans some standard size? Which model?

just take the terastation live. its really quit.

you will neither hear the harddisks nor the system fan., the TS LIVE is really good designed!

the tera pro is much more louder and not livingroom comatible.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:44 am 
Total Newbie

One additional thing which is not very clear for a beginner like me but has to be mentioned is that TS-HTGL to be rebuild from scratch it has to have all 4 disks installed :cry:

I have spent few evenings playing around with it and struggling with getting it run. I was using only two disks in it. Finally I edited create_raid.sh script (and few other related scripts) commenting and removing everything what was related to disks 3 and 4. Got it running ok, however found issues after I removed RAID using GUI and tried to re-create it (apparently due to number of disks installed).

Only because I was courious I got two extra hard drives to test it. Removed all partitions and data from all disks, EM, tftp and *poof* it just worked like a charm. Updated to the latest FW version, created and deleted RAIDs and so on :D

Can someone more experienced confirm this? Is there any easier way to reinstall FW running just 1-3 disks in it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
Total Newbie

ne7runner wrote:
One additional thing which is not very clear for a beginner like me but has to be mentioned is that TS-HTGL to be rebuild from scratch it has to have all 4 disks installed :cry:

That is just lovely. Friend of mine got a TS Pro/2 and we are trying to get it up and running. It does not have any HD, so we originally slapped one drive to test it out. I guess we will need to find it a set of matching drives then. Now, does that mean it writes the firmware to the drives?

ne7runner wrote:
Can someone more experienced confirm this? Is there any easier way to reinstall FW running just 1-3 disks in it?

I must say I too am anxiously waiting on a reply for that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:57 am 

i had some of these same question, so glad to hear i can use stock firmware! i do enough coding and upgrade that one more task would drive me crazy! :lol: