Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:26 am 

I created this debrick list for my office and thought I'd share it. Nearly all of the information was created from various posts already on the nas-central.org forum.

1. Download a TFTP server software (TFTPD32 is an example: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html)
2. Download acp_commander.jar to the directory of your choice: (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/TO ... COMMANDER/)
3. Download and install java (http://www.java.com)
4. Download and extract the latest firmware to the directory of your choice
5. Rename initrd.img to initrd.zip and hddrootfs.img to hddrootfs.zip
6. Unzip both zip files to the same directory as the extracted firmware files, by using one of the following passwords:
1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l
aAhvlM1Yp7_2VSm6BhgkmTOrCN1JyE0C5Q6cB3oBB
YvSInIQopeipx66t_DCdfEvfP47qeVPhNhAuSYmA4
IeY8omJwGlGkIbJm2FH_MV4fLsXE8ieu0gNYwE6Ty
7. Connect the TSP directly to your computer via the ethernet port (you might need a crossover cable)
8. Change the computer’s ethernet IP settings to 192.168.11.1 - 255.255.255.0
9. Setup the TFTP server directory to your directory of choice (the same directory as the unzipped firmware files in point 4. above)
10. Disable all firewalls on your computer and start the TFTP server program
11. Turn on (reboot) your TSP
12. While booting up your TSP should automatically request two files: initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo. If your TSP does not request these files and continues to display boot errors check all of your connectivity and IP settings and ensure that the lan led light on the TSP is on. If you are still getting boot errors you will most likely need to rebuild your disk partitions (jump to point 25. below)
13. If your TSP boots, it might enter into Emergency Mode “EM” (the TSP will contain EM towards the end of its host name) try running the TSUpdater.
14. If the update still fails try editing the file lsupdater.ini by adding at the end of the file:
[SpecialFlags]
Debug = 1
15. You can also try changing:
[Flags]
VersionCheck = 1
to
[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0
16. Run TSUpdater and right click the taskbar icon of the updater program. Click on Debug for more options. Try forcing the update by selecting the force update option.
17. If the update is still not working try using acp_commanger by opening a command (prompt) window and running the following command from the same directory as the acp_commander.jar file):
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 192.168.11.150 –cb
(you might have to repeat the above command a couple of times until you see confirmation of success) and try running TSUpdater again
18. If the TSP is still not working you will most likely need to rebuild your disk partitions but before embarking on this endeavour you should probably quickly verify the disks (you can also jump directly to point 25. to rebuild your disks). Open a command (prompt) window and run the following command from the same directory as the acp_commander.jar file):
java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 192.168.11.150 –o
(you might have to repeat the above command a couple of times until you see confirmation of success)
19. Telnet to the TSP by running the following command from the command prompt:
telnet 192.168.11.150
Login using the username
root
there is no password, just hit enter
20. Check your partitions by typing the following command
fdisk –l
(If the list of partitions are all empty jump to point 25.)
sda1 should be bootable and formatted ext3
sda2 should be formatted xfs
21. Check the partition usage as sda1 may contain too many files by running
df –h
(the –h is optional)
22. Check if sda1 contains the 2 files initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo:
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /boot
cd /boot
ls
23. Check if sda2 contains a whole bunch of files and folders:
mount -t xfs /dev/sda2 /rootfs
cd /rootfs
ls
24. Try running the TSUpdater again (sda1 might be full as per point 21. above. Try deleting all files except initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo in the /boot directory)
25. If you are still experiencing problems you will need to rebuild your disk(s). To rebuild your disk you will need to connect your disk to a PC running Ubuntu, Knoppix or similar. These two programs offer a downloadable bootable CD which you can use on most computers. Simply install/connect the TSP disk to your computer and boot up your computer with the bootable Ubuntu or Knoppix CD. The information below is based on commands used on a computer running Ubuntu. Please remember that you will require all the files you extracted from the firmware file in the directory of your choice once you have booted with Ubuntu. A USB memory stick is quite useful for this purpose.
26. Once booted with Ubuntu, create a directory on your desktop called tsp (right click the desktop and choose new folder). Copy all the firmware files, including the unzipped password protected files to the tsp directory on your desktop.
27. Open a terminal window from the applications menu at the top left hand side of the screen and type:
sudo –s -H
fdisk –l
(you should see the name of your disk, probably something like /dev/hda or /dev/hdb or /dev/sda or /dev/sdb. If you have more than one disk you might be able to differentiate them by size)
28. Once you know the name of your disk type:
cfdisk /dev/???
(replace ??? with the three letter code of your disk. We will use sda as the three letter code for the following example)
29. If there are any existing partitions delete all of them using the up and down arrow and the delete menu at the bottom of the screen
30. Create the following partitions using the arrow keys and the menus on the bottom of the screen:
sda1 Bootable Primary Linux 205MB
sda2 Primary Linux 500MB
sda5 Extented Linux/Swap 510MB (might be optional)
sda6 Extended Linux XXXXMB (remainder of the disk – might be optional)
(If you are planning on "customising" your unit, you should consider increasing the sda2 partition size)
31. Write the changes before you exit cfdisk
32. You should now format your partitions:
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
mkfs.xfs /dev/sda2
mkfs.xfs /dev/sda6
mkswap –c /dev/sda5
(the –c is optional)
33. Mount the /boot and /rootfs file systems:
mount –t ext3 /dev/sda1 /boot
mount –t xfs /dev/sda2 /rootfs
34. Copy the files initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo to /boot:
cd /home/ubuntu/Desktop/tsp/
cp initrd.buffalo /boot
cp uImage.buffalo /boot
35. Extract the content of hddrootfs.buffalo.updated to /rootfs:
cd /rootfs
tar zxvf /home/ubuntu/Desktop/tsp/hddrootfs.buffalo.updated
36. Unmount the 2 file systems:
umount /dev/sda1
umount /dev/sda2
37. Disconnect the disk from your computer and reinstall the disk in the TSP
38. Turn on (reboot) your TSP
39. Your TSP should boot normally and you should see Loading Kernel on the LCD display, try running the TSUpdater again as per points 13. through to 17. above
40. If you are still having problems, rebuild all remaining TSP disk in the same manner as described in points 28. through to 36. And try the TSUpdater again as per points 13. through to 17. above

Last edited by mbescher on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 am 
Site Admin

made this sticky as i think there is very valuable info inside.

especially as it shows the path to go if you want to setup a tera pro v2 / tera live with blank disks from scratch.

of course it needs confirming if all steps are really needed.

if it is confirmed we need to transfer this guide to the wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 am 
Total Newbie

Which of these steps are als valid for the LS Live?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:59 am 
Site Admin

you can do 1-17 savely.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:45 pm 

Thank you for this great post! I've used the information twice so far... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:44 pm 

When you run the TSUPdate it will reformat your hard drive to the default partition, I can edit the partition to the way I want it, any clue how I can fix that issue? I want my / and /boot to be at least 5000MB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:06 pm 
Total Newbie

Great stuff, has just saved my bacon. Forcing the TSupdate was the trick to debricking for me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:59 am 

thank you for this info! :up: now time for me to copy and paste to save to folder on desktop anytime i need this and forget some steps!

thanks so much, the Zohan!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,
I've tried doing all the steps above my TS PRO II is booting into EM mode
Currently I've got 4 x 2TB drives in.. I've gone through the steps creating the partitions word for word. & tried everything else I can think of.

has anyone got any ideas on how to get it going?
It boots up ok according to the LCD panel
right time & date link 1000mb/s
HD used 1_2_3_4_
I've tried everything that I can find online to get it going.
talk about frustrating. the first hdd is the one with the partitions I've copied the files to it as per the instructions..
Any ideas to get it up and running would be really appreciated
TFTP program sits there waiting for connections but does nothing
TS updater never finds anything that needs updating
the NASNavigator finds the unit in EM (TS_TGL_EM) mode but wont let me do anything, and no web interface.

I'm sure someone will know how to fix it.. cheers in advance for any help

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks to OP for the post! You rock :up:

siimsdita: I successfully recovered my TeraBrick using these instructions, so the process definitely works. My issues started with a failed drive in slot 4, and from that event it got stuck in a boot loop. Nothing else I could find could wake the box. I pulled the data from backups, restored it to our large SAN, and shelved the TeraStation for several months until I got bored enough to mess with it again.

So today, I found these instructions, and gave it a go. I pulled all 4 drives, replacing the dead #4 with a new drive (different vendor, but same capacity). I then initialized all four drives as listed in this post - well almost. I only overwrote the file on each drive's boot partition (/dev/sd?1). Booted, the box now came up in EM, and now pulled down the files from the TFTP server. Let it do its thing, it booted again into EM, and I then ran TSUpdater. Once TSUpdater did its thing, I was then able to get into the (Japanese!) Web GUI. Found the setting to change the GUI back to English, and now the box is happily rebuilding the array with all my files intact.

Sounds like your disconnect is in getting TSUpdater to run. Did you try the little Java utility? If you can, stick the Terastation and your PC on a switch by themselves. I had the same problem due to the NIC in the PC dropping and wanting to reconfigure each time it saw the link status change. As soon as I put 'em on a switch together, all was happy (since the PC's ethernet link never went away).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 pm 

siimsdita wrote:
Hi,
I've tried doing all the steps above my TS PRO II is booting into EM mode

ReUpdate the FW.

Quote:
TS updater never finds anything that needs updating
the NASNavigator finds the unit in EM (TS_TGL_EM) mode but wont let me do anything, and no web interface.

Change the TSUpdater.ini so you can force an update.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello guys

im new & stuck & i wondered if sombody could give me a little advice.

This is my status of my TSlive

i cant seem to telnet into my device. am i at the wrong stage in the tutorial should i be trying from step 25
Quote:
25. If you are still experiencing problems you will need to rebuild your disk(s)

any help or advice would be great :D

Post subject: Is my TS Live a brick
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi. First a big 'Thank You' to the OP. An excellent article.

NAS: TeraStation Live HS-DHTGL/R5 4 x 500GB disks, RAID 5.
Me: Network engineer (Cisco, Checkpoint, Juniper etc).

We (at home) have power cuts several times a year. A couple of years ago after a cut TS booted into EM. I flashed the box successfully and it has been fine since. Always meant to get a UPS, but didn't get round to it (I know - I should have known better!)
We had another cut a few weeks ago, this time TS booted to:
System error E04
Can't load krnl
Power cycled a few times - same result.
Pulled the power cable and left it for a day - now it booted to EM.
After many tries to flash it, found a post that says TSUpdater only works up to Win XP (I was using my wife's Vista laptop). Then tried with an old, flaky XP box, apparent success, but booted back to E04. (By this time I was using Debug mode with Force Update and Do Not Confirm Version checked every time).
Did this a few times - always the same result. (Meanwhile the old XP box broke, now I have only Vista to play with. Also have Ubuntu, so tried Wine - that seems to run TSUpdater OK, but with the same result.)
So, with crossed fingers, I grabbed a copy of ACP_Commander and cleared /boot. Bingo - TSUpdater works and TS boots up OK. I have my TS back.

Next thing I bought a UPS.

So, I carefully shut down the TS, plug it into my trusty UPS and switch on. E04 again. Grrrrrrr!
Now I am stuck with a TS that boots either to EM or, following an attempt to flash it, to E04. Obviously I have cleared /boot again but it makes no difference.
The time I have to leave TS powered off before I can boot to EM seems to be getting longer - 24 hours is no longer enough. This I can't understand :-(
I am trying to flash with v2.14_1.02 (hs-dhtgl-up_214_102) which is what I got it running with just before I bought the UPS.

Now, here's the sob story. Just before the power cut I was having trouble with the backup to USB disk, so I plugged the USB diak into my Ubuntu box and wiped it, plugged it back into the TS and it wouldn't recognise it. Then the power cut, and I have no backup and no TS.

I'm now looking at removing the disks and mounting them in a 4-SATA PC to get the data off. Before I do I'd like to ask if there is anything else I should try before taking this step?
mdadm seems to indicate that the RAID is still intact, so I am hopeful, but need to read up on mdadm a bit before I go any further.
Any help would be warmly welcomed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 pm 
Total Newbie

ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE FORMATTING your drive in ubuntu. I solved this problem by downloading the 2007 version of ubuntu which is Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) after booting the live CD/USB follow the direction but instead of mounting "rootfs" mount -t /dev/sda2 /root instead!