Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:10 pm 

Hi,

today I tried the first time to copy some files to the TsP. It was all round about 18GB and the finder said me it will take approximately two hours - this is absolutely too slow.

FIletransfer was started on Mac OS X 10.4.10 via smb-protocol in my local WLAN (54Mbit).

Is there a faster way to transfer files?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:58 am 

smb has alot more overhead than FTP. I would suggest that or trying appletalk protocol to connect.

I'm sorry I'm not a Mac user, so I don't know what utilities to recommend but I would say that you should see some faster speed through FTP.

20:23:40 up 417 days, 20:09, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.21, 0.30

That's only because I had to move that time ago. Love this box and this community, wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:08 pm 
Total Newbie

The worst part is WLAN. 54Mbps is theory. You can be very happy with around 20Mbps. So 2MB/s => 7GB/h. I'd be very happy if 18GB via WLAN will only take 2 hours. This has nothing to do with the Terastation though. If you are in a hurry a cable is _always_ better than wireless. I have Gbit on my laptop, and if I want lots of data moving fast, I connect it with a cable.
There is a difference between smb and ftp, but the main slowness you are experiencing is from WLAN.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:33 pm 

To force Appletalk use:

afp://IP_ADDRESS_OF_TSP/

at the connect to server option on the finder menu. Performance is a lot better than using smb protocol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:33 pm 

mbescher wrote:
To force Appletalk use:

afp://IP_ADDRESS_OF_TSP/

at the connect to server option on the finder menu. Performance is a lot better than using smb protocol.

I tried this but I get an AFP error -5014, after selecting which volume to mount. I did check Apple in the Shares.

I need some assistance to get this working, SMB is too slow for me as I need to stream DV video. NFS is great but I'm not savvy enough to tweak the TsP. I currently get an average of 12MB/s when copying files.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Check out my Mac article

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 pm 

@ Andre - Thanks for the link to your site, unfortunately I'm no expert at Linux and can't make out what to do first, all I see are a bunch of files, I was kinda looking for an automatic updater. All I need is NFS to run.

First of all I can't even Telnet or SSH into my TeraStation 2. What should I do first? I tried updating my original FW but the installer says there's nothing to update. So I'm stuck. Is there an application updater out there that will do everything automatically?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I meant the Mac hints in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Ma ... ync%2C_NFS

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Total Newbie

Hey PauLee

I've Terastation pro also and was having similar speed problems tried updating firmware, setting all the settings correct etc... nothing helped me there but after awhile I thought trying to plug it in server straight and the transfer speed launched up to 100mbs as it before was <2mbs so i realised that the problem was between the devices = router/switch and picked up another one from the warehouse and that solved the speed issue for me atleast. the one that didn't work was Allied Telesyn AT-8124XL and I replaced it with Allied Telesyn AT-8024.

In our case the router/switch was between Server <-> Terastation and is attached to another network card in the server so the Terastation and some other devices are excluded from other parts of the network.

I know this is old post but since I haven't been able to find the solution elsewhere I thought to post it for others who might get some help out of it.