Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 am 
Site Admin

guys, as i stated before, i won`t be the last station for this box.

I am quite busy with my Diploma thesis so i won`t be able to do that much anyway.

ATM i think it would be best to get headers for Serial/JTAG/CN4/PCIe soldered....then i could go on its journey.

its a dev-box, don`t forget.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:25 pm 
I've been away for a while and missed this whole board.!!

Has the network transfer speed increased at all in this box.?
Does it actually make the box usable for a proper file server.?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

i will post some transfer tests when i get the time to do them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:36 pm 
[quote="mindbender":30cd6]i will post some transfer tests when i get the time to do them.[/quote:30cd6]
Thanks honey. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the info!

I want to get a RAID-capable NAS box that can supercede my NSLU2 :)
I have tons of extra software requirements for a NAS box like that, so Im very interested in compatibility and performance as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 pm 

i have received my terastation pro 2 today. it is my first nas and here is a short summary of my experiences:
on the cd shipped with the terastation is a setup program. though i could start it under windows vista ultimate 64 bit it always crashed so i just tried to connect to the ip address displayed on the LCD via a webbrowser and that worked ok :)
there a still a couple of bugs in setup. for instance the NTP settings always reset to disabled, when one leaves the corresponding screen.
in a review i read that the terastation is very quiet - mine is not. the fan seems to be a small one since the sound of it is very high pitched. i'll try to replace that with a larger one... the casing is rather cool (as in not warm) but i have not yet found a way to read the temperature of the drives.
the passwords for user accounts may not contain special characters (only underscore and hyphen are allowed) and must not be longer than 20 characters. the length of 20 characters is ok, but no special characters is a pain in the neck.
the setup webinterface is very slow and i haave not yet figured out what some of the options (e.g. setting "offline files" for shared folders) mean, but i have not yet studied the manual.
as for the perfomance i have to do some testing yet - i just copied a 0,99GB file with a transferrate of about 16.5MB/s to the terastation from a windows vista pc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:25 am 
Total Newbie

I just got a TeraStation Live. It appears to be very similar to the TeraStation II Pro. The processors are identical. You can easily gain telnet access to it using the acp_commander util, just put in the IP address of the TeraStation and you can telnet in with root.
There is an sshd daemon built in.
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the T-Live vs. the T-Pro, I'm guessing the color and some server software and not much else. I'm guessing you can easily swap binaries between the two to enable services.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

phosphodyson wrote:
I just got a TeraStation Live. It appears to be very similar to the TeraStation II Pro. The processors are identical. You can easily gain telnet access to it using the acp_commander util, just put in the IP address of the TeraStation and you can telnet in with root.
There is an sshd daemon built in.
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between the T-Live vs. the T-Pro, I'm guessing the color and some server software and not much else. I'm guessing you can easily swap binaries between the two to enable services.

as the terastation Live and the terastation pro II share the same GPL source i am quite sure that bootloader/kernel/OS can be swapped.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:10 am 
Developer

Hello guys, I've just had a quick look at the TsP V2 kernel source and here is what I've seen :
- It's a 2.6.16 kernel source code with Marvel stuff
- there are some code changes (minor, mostly to send stuff to the LCD screen) in the RAID source code that are not in the Linkstation pro kernel source code.
- there is a driver for UPS stuff (didn't check what it does exactly)
- there is a reference to a TS-HTGL/R1(IEMOCHI) device. TsP V2 is TS-HTGL/R5(YOSHINOBU) and Terastation live is HS-DHTGL/R5(ANNEI), so I've no idea of what this TS-HTGL/R1 device can be ... Anyway there is no specific code for this R1 device, it's just identified in the code to fill /proc/buffalo/firmware file correctly)
- the Linkstation pro is handled in the kernel source, so this code can be used to compile a kernel for a Linkstation Pro (just have to setup BUFFALO_LINKSTATION_LSGL = y and BUFFALO_TERASTATION_TSHTGL = n in the .config)
- the Terastation live (HS-DHTGL/R5) is not handled by this kernel (It should work on it if we add few lines to have a correct /proc/buffalo/firmware file => It's needed because the boot process checks that the filesystem fits the hardware)

Identified ARM devices (you are welcome to tell me if I'm missing some ;)) :
- LS-GL(IESADA) => Linkstation Pro (0x00000009)
- ??? => Linkstation Live (???)
- TS-HTGL/R1(IEMOCHI) => ??? (0x00002004)
- TS-HTGL/R5(YOSHINOBU) => Terastation Pro V2 (0x00002005)
- HS-DHTGL/R5(ANNEI) => Terastation live (0x00002006)