Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm 
Total Newbie

I decided to give up on my TSL HS-DHTGL/R5. The last straw was the slow response I was getting in Win7. I built a Ubuntu Linux 10.04 box with Linux raid and began transferring data from the TSL. Part way thru, I was getting protocol errors, and rebooted the TSL.

Rebooting the TSL got me to the E04 error. After spending a day jumping through the usual hoops trying to update the firmware, I replaced a drive and finally got it into degraded mode, where I attempted to rebuild the RAID5 array. When it finished, it went to error E14, cannot mount raid array. A couple more reboots got me back to E04. This is the 3rd time I've lost all the data on my TSL. I've never been able to recover the RAID5 array on the TSL.

I finished loading the Ubuntu box from some month old backups. I am still wondering if I can salvage the data from the current TSL disks before I reformat them and start over. I installed Ubuntu on another box and installed the 4 TSL disks. The desktop "Disk Utility" recognizes the disks as raid components, and reports them as healthy. When I try to start the array, it says there is not enough components.

I am a newbie to Linux Raid, and not yet familiar with md. Are there some command line md commands that I can give the Ubuntu box that will allow me to start and mount the TSL array? Or is the Ubuntu box having the same problem with the array as the Terastation?

TIA,
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:05 pm 
Total Newbie

Yes Phil, you can!

After installing mdadm on my temporary Ubuntu box, I entered: "mdadm --assemble --scan" and got: mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: /dev/md1 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: /dev/md2 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4).

I mounted md2 from the desktop "Drive Utility", and can now see the Terastation shares that I want.
It would appear that the Terastation did not repair the array, even though it said that it did. The data is now available on my Ubuntu in "Degraded" mode. It appears that Ubuntu is repairing the array.

Entering "cat /proc/mdstat" shows:
Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md2 : active raid5 sda6[4] sdb6[1] sde6[3] sdd6[2]
2926785600 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [_UUU]
[===>.................] recovery = 16.3% (159543680/975595200) finish=159.4min speed=85294K/sec

md1 : active raid1 sdd2[0] sda2[3] sdb2[2] sde2[1]
497920 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[0] sda1[3] sde1[2] sdd1[1]
297088 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

I'm guessing that it will be done in 3 hours, opposed to the 16 hours it took the Terastation to say it was recovering the array, and then failing. Even though the data appears to be available now, I'll wait for the Ubuntu box to finish recovering before I attempt to ftp the data to my new raid5 array.

Wish me luck! I hope this info helps someone else out there.