Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:25 am 

Hi.

Is there anyway to access the SMART report for the hard drives in the system to I can tell if a drive is about to fail?

I own other NAS product that not only will tell you the SMART report but alert you to problems with it without you even asking! This way you can find out if a drive is about to dye before it actually does so you don't endanger your data.

Please let me know

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 am 

armornone wrote:
Hi.

Is there anyway to access the SMART report for the hard drives in the system to I can tell if a drive is about to fail?

I own other NAS product that not only will tell you the SMART report but alert you to problems with it without you even asking! This way you can find out if a drive is about to dye before it actually does so you don't endanger your data.

Please let me know

Thanks.

hello armornone,

excuse my english, it's not best...i speak better coding language than english language, even my own language sometimes! :lol: in regards to you question, i have recently finished develop a handy little diagnostics tool that may help you with accessing and reading SMART report for the HD because i found it very strange too that on some NAS product they have this capabilities and some don't. i find it very good, especially because of all many data i have lost from a faulty drive! :x i can send it over to you if you'd like too PM a email to me to send it too (its not big file, about less than 1 MB). i know you asked this question a very few month ago and may have already figure out solution, its just taken me a while to get around to reply because ive been ironing out all the kinks and making sure to catch any bugs with the program, i'd be embarrass to give someone faulty one! :oops: seems everything work okay now though after much work put into it and looking threw so much code! :D

best cheers, the Zohan!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 am 

I have OPTWARE on my box and it do contains smartmontools, I had been trying this but it do tells that my drive do not support SMART, that's wrong they do support SMART.

EDIT:
Some digging shows that the -d option with argument "marvell" should be used, example "smartctl -d marvell -c /dev/sda"

For smartd this can be used in /opt/etc/smartd.conf :
"/dev/sda -d marvell -a -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)"