Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi :-)

I'm working with a TS Pro II in my HomeRack for some time now (RAID 5). Until now, I never had any problems.
Since yesterday the TS suddenly got extremely slow. Read/Write Speed ist down to about 500-800kb /s
I still can access all my Data and although every Disc now appears to be OK, I got the following automated email after yesterdays USB Backup.

Quote:
DISK Error Notification

HDD error occured
Disk(s) the error occurred:Disk 2

(sdb) READ sector:1283501 count:4
Disk writing error
RAID drive error will be repaired automatically.
Continuous Back-up is recommended.

[TeraStation PROInformation]
TeraStation PROName: FILESERVER_2 (TS-RHTGL/R5)
Time: 2010/05/27 19:35:35
Setting Screen: http://192.168.0.2/

So even though my TS now tells me that everything is in order, looking at the speed I can certainly say that it's not.
My question is: What is the fasted and best way to fix this problem? Do I just replace Disc2 or is there more to this error?
Can I take out the faulty disc and still access all the data with normal speed? I need a few days to buy a new disc (would be great if I could use the TS in the mean time)
Is this maybe covered with the warenty?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 pm 

This may or may not apply to your situation.

If you have a consumer SATA drive in a RAID 5 you are exposed to data corruption. My definition of a consumer drive is one that has onboard error correcting. So if a drive ends up with a bad block the drive and the RAID try to fix it independently of each other. This can lead to corruption. I have had this happen to several clients. I use RAID 10 on my devices. This insulates you from these problems.

Enterprise drives have this feature disabled. Older WD drives allowed you to turn this off. Typically a WD Enterprise drive ends with a YS in the model number. I would not assume that the Buffalo came with these drives.