Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 pm 

I own an TS Live with 2TB and would like to replace the 4 drives with 1TB each to upgrade to 4TB. I've looked into http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... ation_Live to follow these steps.

Because of being not familiar with all that Linux stuff I need to ask:

Quote:
don't forget to specify the partition type of partition 5 as Linux Swap (82)
apply mkswap to the fifth partition
Code:
mkswap /dev/sdd5

now rebuild all three raids (0-2), the steps are as follows
Code:
mdadm -a /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm -a /dev/md1 /dev/sdd2
mdadm -a /dev/md2 /dev/sdd6

Should I change the letters sdd to sdb, sdc, sda accordingly to the replaced HDD or is it always the same procedure (except fdisk)? :?:

Thanks for help.

Last edited by wacholder on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:33 pm 

wacholder wrote:
Should I change the letters sdd to sdb, sdc, sda accordingly to the replaced HDD or is it always the same procedure (except fdisk)? :?:

I'm not a tera guy, since you pm'd me I'll take a shot. But take what I say with a grain of salt.

But looking at the relavent pieces of that DOC md1, md0 and md2 are all separate arrays/devices.
MD0 is /boot where the kernel uImage is probably kept
MD1 is / where the rootfs (linux OS) is kept
and
MD2 is /mnt/array1 where the data array is kept

The document you reference uses the "natural" ability of the system to rebuild the raid by swapping out and in disks one by one. This way you would not have to create the raid(s) and place the kernel and rootfs in the right places yourself. They would be recreated/repopulated automatically.

There is probably a mdadm config file somewhere that is probably kept at /etc/mdadm.conf
that is keeping track of how the arrays are built. However you would need to keep track of the device you are inserting to the box. And change the letter accordingly as you said when readding it to the array.

Take a look here as well... There is some good info on this wiki I think.
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Growing

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:03 am 

Thanks ramuk,
that's what I wanted to know. Will try it with the new 1TB HDDs and will give feedback about success. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:45 am 

I did it successfully with 4x Samsung HDHD103UJ 1000GB SATA-II. Great tutorial and really without any data loss. :biglol:

For everyone who plan to do it as well, it took 8-9 hours each to rebuild the array after replacing the drive and to grow the array and file system.

Thanks ramuk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 am 
Total Newbie

I want to do the same thing, but have much less linux experience. Is there a more simplified version if I don't care about data loss? Or maybe a more step by step tutorial?

Also, I had seen other posts mentioning a hard drive size limitation. Just wanted to double check that my Terastation HS-DH can really handle 4 1tb drives?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 am 

Hi solsurfer,

your TS is able to support 4 x 1TB HDD's.

At first you need to install Telnet access on your TS. You'll find the installation and usage under capture "Getting Console (Telnet) Access with acp_commander": http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... k_Firmware.

To install new drives without any data loss follow the guide at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... ation_Live. Don't forget to change the device letters accordingly to your changed drive.

Device names:

HDD#1 = /dev/sda
HDD#2 = /dev/sdb
HDD#3 = /dev/sdc
HDD#4 = /dev/sdd

Start with drive #4 backwards. That's all and without any data loss

I did it successfully in my TS Live with an upgrade from 2TB to 4TB without backup.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11321 :biglol:

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:12 pm 
Total Newbie

Thanks! I just got the drives and am going to take a crack at this tonight.

I also have an Terastation HD-H1. I was wondering. I'll have the original drives from the HS-DH with a bunch of data on them. Can I simply replace the 4 existing drives in the HD-H1 with the ones I pulled from the HS-DH, thereby transferring all that data and increasing it's space?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:59 am 
Total Newbie

Hello all,
I had full backup for data on Terastation, so I just deleted all Raid arrays, and replaced disks one by one. When rebooting with one new HDD, Terastation rebuilds hidden partition, and asks to format new drive. Than you can power down and replace next drive. I have seen somewhere post about this, but was unable to find it again. Probably it makes sense to publish step-by-step manual for users, who are not familiar with Linux and just need to upgrade new Terastation with small drives to biggest volume possible. Of cause, this makes a lot of sense just because the pricing policy of Terastation makes very attractive to buy the smallest one and upgrade it.

I have just replaced in Terastation Pro 2 250 GB drives by new, 1,5TB in size, and no problems, so 1,5 TB is also supported (I get 4 TB space instead 700GB!). Of cause, 4TB Raid5 array check process takes a long time (~24 hours!).
Actually I suspect, that if you have only one RAID array defined, you can just replace drives by bigger one by one, rebuilding the array every time. When all 4 disks replaced, it must be possible to define second array on free space, also without any data loss... It looks logical but I haven't checked it in practice (it takes a long time to rebuild arrays, and I haven't enough time to do it).

I have standard Buffalo firmware version 1.33, and probably new enough firmware version is a key to get the process working.

I have also a question about Buffalo NAS performance. I have read speed for big files (ISO) about 250 MBit/s (jumbo frames allowed 9k, fast Windows XP machine used with Marvel 1Gb NIC), which isn't bad. But it will be nice to know, if it is a limit of NAS, or I can get more with different firmware?
Also, may be it's limited by my PC LAN card performance...
If anybody has experience with better performance, would be nice to know. I suppose also that new harddrives are faster, so performance will be improved, if it isn't limited by network part.

Regards,

Regards,
MJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:18 pm 
Total Newbie

I know this is an old topic but I'll try anyway. I have a similar problem.

One Terastation with 4 x 250MB hard drives = 1 Terabyte in a RAID 0, but HD1 has a mechanical failure. Data is not the problem (thanks god I have BKP).
So the TS doesn't turn on. So I decided to take the chance to upgrade to 4 x 1TB hard drives.

After 3 years since last reply. Does anyone has a step by step manual on how to do this?

I have no linux experience.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:25 am 

Put you new drive into at PC, or connect them one by one via USB-SATA converter, or eSATA docking.
Erase the drive, delete all partitions, just to be sure that they are empty/erased.

Look at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3641
Follow step 4-6 and 25-39 on the drive you want to put in as DRIVE 0, the rest of the drives (DRIVE 1-3) should just be empty/erased and put into there place in the TS.

After the firmwareupdate in step 39 there is a formating of the drives, it takes time, so do the re-sync, just wait, it takes houres. :o

Thats all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 pm 

Just to clarify, if you don't care about losing the data that you added to your TS, you can skip any steps that have to do with /dev/md2.

That way, you don't have to take the time to delete the array in the web interface, nor wait for a rebuild of that huge array plus the time to grow the partition and fs.

Just do everything else for /dev/md0 and /dev/md1, and make sure to create the extended partition (sdX4), swap partition (sdX5), and logical drive (sdX6).

Edit: Just added this information to a new section in the wiki article on this topic