Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:35 pm 

Hello all,

forum newbie here in dire need of help. TS Live 2TB, purchased six months ago, developed a nasty problem last night and so far I've been unable to locate any advice on how to fix it.

The box contains my entire music library, collected and encoded during the past ten years. No, I don't have any backups. Yes, I'm aware that was incredibly stupid of me; no need to tell me again. Anyhoo, here's how it went down.

I had been streaming audio off the box for several hours and happened to take a look at it while walking past the server cabinet. The display read

System
Now Booting.....

Odd, since the box was still streaming audio while this message was shown.

This particular Live has acted up in the past: one HDD developed errors and had to be replaced (RAID5, luckily); it's disappeared from LAN a few times, needing a reboot; one disappearance from LAN was only fixed by forcing a firmware upgrade; once it went into EM mode on its own; and for the past month NasNavi claimed it was 'Unformatted'. This box has had more problems than all of my other NAS boxes put together, which leads me to believe this one's a lemon.

I decided to reboot the box, which turned out to be a very stupid move. Reboot hangs with display showing that same "Now booting" message, drive leds blink in unison every now and then, but nothing else happens. It won't show up on LAN, and Buffalo's own apps are unable to access it.

I tried to shut it down again, but it wouldn't do that. Pressing the on/off button produced a beep, but the box wouldn't shut down. Tried it a few times; apart from the beep nothing else happened. Eventually I held the on/off button down long enough to force a shutdown.

Opened the drive bay door, held down the INIT button and powered the box up. Everything looked fine at first, but then it gets stuck with "System EM Mode Booting...." message on screen. I noticed that drive 4 LED blinked a few times, then drive 1 LED blinked a few times, and after a short pause all drive LEDs started blinking, again rather slowly. And again, the box can't be accessed over LAN by any means.

Since Live won't boot up fully, I can't do a forced firmware upgrade. I've read posts about taking the HDDs out and connecting them to a Linux box, but I don't have one and my *nix skills are approaching zero.

As the data on this box is important to me, I'm offering a cash (PayPal, to be more exact) reward for help leading to recovery of data.

Thanks for your time.

:: colin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:14 am 

Some progress, kind of. I took out all four HDDs one by one and jiggled their connectors, making sure they were properly attached, and replaced the lot. Switched the box on, and noticed that HDD LEDs were blinking in a different way. After a few minutes the box started making a lot of noise: E04 error.

Powered the box down, and powered it up again while pressing the INIT button for EM mode. It's been trying to boot into EM mode for approx. 10 minutes now, but HDD LEDs are all blinking in unison and quite rapidly this time. That's different from before. Can't access the box over LAN, however.

I tried the TFTP method earlier today. Live made zero requests to the PC. Does that mean the bootloader is fragged?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:56 pm 

Maybe someone could answer this question:

If I move HDDs from this TSLive to another Live, is it possible that something on these HDDs could corrupt the second Live?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 am 

I bit the bullet and spent a couple of days backing up data on another Live. Then I moved HDDs from the faulty Live to the second Live, and powered up. After a few minutes of booting Live threw up the E04 error.

Does this mean the HDDs are corrupted? If so, what can I now do to rescue the data on them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:22 am 
Site Admin

of course its the hdds only. the arm9 terastations do only have the uboot bootloader in flash. everything else is read from the hdds.

the first partition on all hdds stores a ext3 partition which contains the kernel (uImage.buffalo) and the initrd (initrd.buffalo). i think that this partition is not raided....this would lead to booting problems i think....but i do not have one so i cannot confirm.

ok...this is what i would do:
1) read this wiki article and this forum thread
2) you can get access with UFS Explorer pro on windows
3) if all data is recovered i would remove all partitions and start with
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... om_scratch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am 

Thank you, mindbender.

A couple of points:
1) TSLive uses the same partitions and file systems as the original Terastation?
2) I've tried the TFTP process with both regular and EM boot modes, and Live won't even try to download anything from the PC. Zero bytes moving between them...

Actually, #2 is moot. If I get my data rescued, I'm formatting the discs and RMA'ing the box for another one. There's no way I could ever trust this particular unit with my data again. I've got a one strike policy with NAS boxes :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm 

I finally managed to recover my data. As the instructions I found here were a bit on the vague side, I decided to write a guide of my own on how to use UFS Explorer for the job.

I hope it's useful for people who find themselves in the situation I was in.

Here: http://www.saitti.org/2008/04/03/336/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm 
Total Newbie

colinhunt wrote:
I finally managed to recover my data. As the instructions I found here were a bit on the vague side, I decided to write a guide of my own on how to use UFS Explorer for the job.

I hope it's useful for people who find themselves in the situation I was in.

Here: http://www.saitti.org/2008/04/03/336/

Hi Colin,

Do you still have the instructions you wrote. The link you provided is broken.

Cheers