Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 am 

I have a PPC LS1. I had flashed Freelink on it, and it worked okay, but managing the partitions was a pain. I opened the box, and followed the instructions here, to repartition, etc: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Convert_your_PPC_LinkStation_into_a_full-blown_Debian_system and installed Debian on the drive. The LS1 appears to boot correctly (according to the lights), and gets DHCP info from the router. I cannot telnet into it, however. Have I somehow screwed myself having flashed it to Freelink, then loading Debian on the drive?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 am 

I reflashed the LS1 with stock firmware, then Freelink. It changed the name of the device (can see on the router, as it gets DHCP address). It's now called HD-HLAN-EM if that means something. I still cannot telnet it (refuses connection). On a lark, I tried FTP, and I can hit it that way. The FTP server says it's version 6.4 OpenBSD/Linux-ftpd-0.17. I can't figure out a user name/password combo to get in FTP, though.

Since it seems to be working except telnet, can someone point me to a way to manually configure (install?) the telnet daemon? Since I have the box open, I can connect it directly to a Linux box to work on the drive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 am 

First, I do not own a PPC based LS, so most of what I write here
are assumptions.
Reflashing with stock firmware has eventually repartition the drive.
The change of the name is caused by the fact, that the box is in
EM mode. So something is preventing the correct boot and this could
be caused by a wrong partition layout (running out of space).
Maybe you should try to install Debian with the new Debian installer?
I read about this installer to be able to handle "old" Linkstations
without a problem. So you could try to get to the bootstrap phase
(that is the point where you put the disk back into the LS) while
connected the box to a different system (aka. cross-debootstrapping).
Here is a link with some general hints to debootstrap Debian:
http://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

If there is no verified backup of a dataset, the dataset, by definition, is unimportant. (c't 2012)

RAID (no matter which level) never ever substitutes a backup. (me)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

moonrock, have you tried ssh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 am 

Thanks. It'll be a couple of days before I have the time to give it a shot.

Any recommendations on what size(s) the partitions should be (I have only skimmed the link given. I realize it may well be in the instructions)? I went with the recommended ones in the link from my first post (putting Debian directly on the drive) after using the ext2magic program to make the drive usable. I deleted the original partition table and put a boot, swap, and data partitions (#1 and #3 formatted ext3). Then I loaded Debian on partition #1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am 

Yes. I tried SSH as well. Connection was refused.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:33 am 

Okay. I am stuck. based on the wiki here http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/EM_Mode, I tried to reflash the thing after pulling/clearing the drive (now empty ext3). Neither the Buffalo nor Freelink firmware would flash. With the ability to put whatever I want right on the drive, directly, is there a way I can just put Freelink on, the way I was trying to put Debian on originally?

Do you think I just had the partitions too small, following the Debian wiki? 2GB main/boot, 512MB swap, remainder for data (250GB drive)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm 

It can't be partition size. Just for fun, I blasted the drive clean and doubled the recommended partition sizes from the Debian install wiki, and noticed that the LS1 is giving my router the hostname I configured on the drive/Debian instead of the HD-HLAN-EM it was before. Based on that and lights, it's all happy, but I can't telnet into it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Admin

Did you run fix_ext2_magic?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:30 pm 

I did run fix_ext2_magic. Prior to that, I wasn't able to even monkey with the partition table. I just got errors when trying to access the drive at all (though I could see it).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:02 am 

So, I found an extra drive, and decided to give it a shot. I put in a completely clean single ext3 partitioned 250GB drive. I tried to flash factory firmware, and left it to go for an hour or so. It said it failed, but the lights were fine. So, I tried flashing freelink. It said it succeeded, but when I rebooted, I got 5 red blinks and power off.

Is this box shot, now?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Flash it once more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:09 am 

Well, the second flash seemed to take. I left it for a while, rebooted, and all looked good from the outside, but I still couldn't Telnet in. I decided to give it one more flash, just to see. It said it failed, and now It's back to 5 blinks and out.

Do I need to be clearing the drive completely before trying another series of flashes?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Yes. Make sure it's got the old MBR partitioning scheme but no partitions. Flash twice (that's normal).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 pm 

Sorry to ask for a spoon feeding, but I am either missing a detail or have some other issue with the NAS.

Last night, I deleted all of the partitions on the NAS with GParted (Linux Mint), then flashed it with Freelink. It said it failed, but I left it for a while, and the lights eventually signaled all was okay. Then I flashed it with Freelink again. It said it succeeded, but rebooting went back to the 5 red flashes and power off.

Some ideas of things I've come up with that maybe I should try:
Do I need to be flashing it with the factory firmware first (once or twice)?
Do I need to be power cycling it between flashes?

Should either of those make a difference? Any other ideas?