Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 pm 

Hi All,

I noticed that my LS1 PPC was not responding today so I fired up netcat and noticed the following error...

Code:
U-Boot 1.2.0 (Apr 13 2007 - 22:25:08) LinkStation / KuroBox
stdin :   nc
stdout:   nc
stderr:   nc
IDE:   Bus 0: ............................................................** Timeout **
Boot in 05 seconds ('s' to stop)...s

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be just a bad HDD or the IDE controller? If it is just the HDD then I guess I get a new one but if it is the controller then I guess it is time to upgrade to a newer model.

Thanks,
Ken.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

I would turn the unit off, remove the power chord and other cables, and let it sit there over night. If it still doesn't work, unplug the HDD cable, try to boot (which will fail), unplug the chord, replug the HDD cable, boot and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:42 am 

Andre,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them both but no luck in my case. The drive is making some odd noises (almost like electronic music!). However not all bad news...

I was about to call it quits on my LS1... I figured that since SATA drives seem to be less expensive I should take the opportunity to upgrade to a new NAS that can accept SATA drives rather than spend more money on more expensive and lower capacity PATA drives . Then I decided to just have a quick check of the Seagate web site (since I already replaced the original HDD with a 500GB Seagate). I entered my model number and serial number etc and was surprised to find that the drive is still under warranty until October 2012! Since I have already had the drive for 3 years that makes it a 5 year warranty! I am still in disbelief. Good reason to buy Seagate I'm thinking.

Ken.