Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm 

Hello,

I have a LS, first version with the PowerPC processor.
After several years, the device seems dead... at powerup the hard-disk starts a ticking noise and after a short while the diag led start flashing red indefinitely (looks like flashing red six times then pausing = hard-disk failure).
I cant telnet/ssh anymore.

Anything I should try?
A master-reset of any sort?

Dont have much hope, the hard-disk seems gone, but I thought trying asing here before trashing.

Second question... which NAS would you reccoment for a replacement?

Ideally, I'd love a cheap device where I could install debian (but I really dont like the idea of opening the device and manipulating the hardware).
In second instance a device with an hacked firmware where I could compile and install software would be fine (like I did with the openlink firmware on the LS1 for a while).
Hard-disk size is not much important.
Which device can be reliably hacked today?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:18 am 

Where are you based? Reason I am asking is I have had a lot of success in resurrecting PPC based systems and would not mind having a go at yours. If you do not want it I am more than happy to take the LS1 off your hands to have a go at resurretcing it rather than you simply trashing it. I am UK based and am more than happy to pay any postage as long as it is within reason. I am also happy to return it if I succeed - although then you would bear the postage costs.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:26 am 

itimpi wrote:
Where are you based? Reason I am asking is I have had a lot of success in resurrecting PPC based systems and would not mind having a go at yours. If you do not want it I am more than happy to take the LS1 off your hands to have a go at resurretcing it rather than you simply trashing it. I am UK based and am more than happy to pay any postage as long as it is within reason. I am also happy to return it if I succeed - although then you would bear the postage costs.

I live in London.
I'll think about your offer, but honestly I'm not sure I'm confortable sending away my LS1 with all my personal data (possibly still there). However, I might consider donating it for spare parts after trashing the hard-drive.
The ticking sound coming from the LS1 hard-disk when trying to boot does not leave me much hope for a repair... what would you try if you had the device in your hands?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 am 

I would be quite happy to have it without the hard drive - I have plenty of spare ones. It is the basic LS1 box I am interested in. From your description it sounds as if the hard disk may have failed anyway? I would probably replace it with a much larger disk (1.5/2TB) anyway to make it more useful as a media server if I was using it for my personal use.

My intention would be to re-flash it. If necessary I would use the JTAG method of flashing as I am set up to do this. If there is not a fundamental fault on the motherboard I would expect this to revive the system. As you say if all this fails it can still act as a source of spare parts as I have several other LS systems.

You mention being London bsed - which part? I am in Potters Bar just north of London (A1/M25 intersection).

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:21 pm 

Hmmmmm that makes me think....

What I would *LOVE* to have is a device like the LS1, stripped from all the rubbish stock software and running a plain linux debian installation (love apt-get :).
I've seen instructions to do so, but they all imply opening the device and I'm not geared for this (I dont even have a desktop PC anymore to plugin the hard-disk).

Would you be able to replace the hard-disk and reflash/reprogram the LS1 so that it boots a plain vanilla linux debian?
I would of course pay for the service (rather than spending money for a new device).

I'll have to think about it, but this might be a very good option.

PS: I'm in central London, near Earls Court

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 pm 

Assuming everything is working then it should be easy enough to get Freelink (which is based on the Sarge version of Debian) installed. I have done this on other LS based systems. There are also updates to run more recent 2.6 based kernels that can be used in conjunction with FreeLink. I am not sure about the more recent Debian releases as I do not know if anyone has got that working on a LS based systems. However if you have seen any posts where there might be such a build available I am more than happy to try and put that on instead.

As part of such an up[grade the u-boot loader is installed into flash. This allow syou in future to do things like boot from USB if required so that it is possible to recover or upgrade the system without cracking it open.

I tend to do this sort of thing as a bit of a hobby so as long as my costs are covered that is all I ask for.

Let me know what you want todo and then we can exchange a few more details as required via PM rather than in the forum?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:05 pm 

itimpi wrote:
Let me know what you want todo and then we can exchange a few more details as required via PM rather than in the forum?

Let me look at my options.
It might take me a while to decide what to do, but for sure I'll get back to you on a PM, if nothing else to send you the device before trashing it if I decide to buy something else.

Thanks!