Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: LS1+OpenLink freezes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:48 pm 

I have two Buffalo LS1 (one with a 250GB WD drive and one with a 500GB Seagate drive) with the same problem.
If I use the stock firmware 1.47, everything works great, very stable, no issues.
If I flash them with OpenLink, the flashing works OK and everything after that, except they lock up every once in a while. It happens when they're idle, so I can't really figure out when or why, it could be anywhere between a few minutes and a few hours since the last time I accessed them.
When they are "frozen", I can ping them and I can SSH once, but any command I try to run (for example "ps -A") makes them freeze. The only remedy at that point is to unplug the power and then plug it back in.
It almost looks like it goes into some kind of sleep mode. However the Disk Sleep function is turned off.

Post subject: Re: LS1+OpenLink freezes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:02 pm 

I have two LS1 systems running OpenLink 0.73 - one with a 250Gb disk and one with a 750Gb Seagate and neither of them exhibit this type of issue. They run for months on end with no freezes or any problems. That suggests there is not an inherent OpenLink issue.

Have you installed any other software on top of OpenLink that might be the cause of this problem?

Is there a chance that they are over-heating? On both of my systems I have had the fan replaced as it was getting noisy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:14 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. No, I don't have any other software running on them. I wanted to get this issue sorted out before I started playing around with anything else.
The fans are the original ones, but both are running OK. I'll try to leave the case open and maybe with a bigger fan blowing into it, to confirm (or rule out) an issue about overheating.
However, it's puzzling why the stock firmware doesn't have that issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm 

One thing I forgot to mention: I did not apply any kind of kernel upgrade. Should I, is it better to install 2.6.x ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:19 am 
Site Admin

i have created openlink 0.73.

from time to time also experienced some freezes...others did not. i always had freezes....for about 3 years while i was the main administrator here...regardless which firmware (freelink/foonas/openlink)...but guess what? i bought an UPC/USV from apc.....and since then my LS1 runs rock-solid with foonas.

therefore i REALLY recommend to buy a USV/UPC....it seems the LS1 is VERY sensible regarding power fluctuations.