Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:09 pm 

I have been struggling to install uboot and a 2.6 kernel and am looking for (more) help.

I used Andre's webinstaller to update to 2.6 but this doesn't work for Debian lenny so I am trying to install uboot. I managed to compile the uboot RAM image after some problems (I had to comment out the examples drectory in the Makefile as hello_world.srec wouldn't compile) and installed a 2.6 uboot image using the webinstaller.

This appeared to work but after a few minutes (approximately 5 - I haven't actually timed it) my LS1 spontaneously rebooted. I assumed that this was a watchdog problem but avr_avtd does seem to be running. However, the config file is set to log events but nothing is logged in /var/log/avr_evtd.log so there may be a problem with it. I did use the updatehelper and I reviewed the avr_evtd config file but didn't change anything as the stock config looked OK.

I was curious to see whether using a non uboot 2.6 kernel would have the same problem but trying to reinstall the 2.6 kernel (after deleting /boot/variant_uboot) seemed to go fine (just as it had in the past) but this time running kernel26.sh just booted into a 2.4 kernel. I am fairly sure I followed the same steps that had worked fine before I started tinkering with uboot.

The plus side is that I have not yet bricked my LS1 :D , but I don't seem to be much closer to getting my uboot 2.6 kernel working.

Is there any way to send the watchdog signal manually so I can see if the problem really is with avr_evtd as seems likely? Does anyone have any tips for debugging avr_evtd?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Change the device avr_evtd operates on (in /etc/default/avr_evtd, uncomment the DEVICE line. There are two possible settings, /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1. "ps aux|grep avr", on kernel 2.6, will tell you which of these is wrong ;)

EDIT: Modify /etc/init.d/avr_evtd directly if the above doesn't work. This might kill the system on kernel 2.4 though.

EDIT: a few remarks:

1. My kernelloader checks for the presence of several files to determine if you're on uboot or not. Check the documentation or /etc/init.d/boot_new.sh and remove all of these files.

2. The probability you should have to change avr_evtd settings on FreeLink/Debian etch or OpenLink, is low.

3. avr_evtd problems always result in a 'coma' mode with blinking LEDs here, not loops or reboots. Make sure file systems are clean before you try to load the kernel, and try and debug uboot.

4. Have you modified my kernel in any way when trying to install uboot?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:59 pm 

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response André.

All it took was changing the DEVICE line in /etc/default/avr_evtd from ttyS1 to ttyS0. I don't know why this was required with the 2.6 uboot image but not with your 2.4 kernel but since my objective is to update debian to lenny (and then to squeeze I hope) then I shall need the 2.6 uboot kernel.

I didn't make any effort to remove the uboot files so I suspect that is why I couldn't reinstall the non-uboot 2.6 kernel. BTW I hadn't modified the kernel in any way.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:03 am 
Site Admin

lotus49a wrote:
All it took was changing the DEVICE line in /etc/default/avr_evtd from ttyS1 to ttyS0. I don't know why this was required with the 2.6 uboot image but not with your 2.4 kernel

Buffalo swapped the devices in their kernel 2.4; Linux upstream uses the 'right' order. I installed some logic in my 'upgradehelper' package to determine the device, but it stopped working.