Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm 

I have successfully installed the freelink firmware and thanks to a little help from Bauldrick I managed to upgrade from sarge to etch. The way I did this was to replace all the references to "stable" in /etc/apt/sources.list with "etch" and do a dist-upgrade. I also upgraded to a 2.6 kernel without any problem.

When I try the same approach to upgrading from etch to lenny it doesn't work and I am wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so with what result.

I edited /etc/apt/sources.list and installed debian-keyring debian-archive-keyring and locales and just these three packages (which depended on a new libc6 package amongst others) were enough to stop my system booting (got the 6 flashes for HD not recognised). I also tried a full dist-upgrade with the same result.

Any suggestions anyone? Anyone else tried this and succeeded? If this were a system with a screen it might be easier to diagnose but as it stands, my only clue is the 6 flashes, which doesn't tell me much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 am 
Betatester

you used andres webinstaller to get 2.6 ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:29 am 

I am not sure who the author was (I couldn't find it in my cursory look over the web page) but the instructions were here http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/docum ... aller.html - I suspect it was.

Last night I also tried an "aptitude full-install" followed by the webinstaller and running /usr/local/sbin/kernel26.sh but, while aptitude did a lot of things that apt-get dist-uprade didn't, the end result was the same - 6 red flashes.

Under what circumstances does the LinkStation decide it doesn't like the disk? If I knew this I may be able to work out what had gone wrong as I can mount the disk on another machine and examine it. I have had a quick look and the partitions look fine but perhaps the upgrade damaged the boot sector somehow.

Before I upgraded, I took an image of the first partition so restoring it to a working state is fairly easy so I don't have to go through the whole reflashing process again (which is just as well as I don't like having to use Windows unless I have to).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

You need uboot and a 2.6 kernel on an ext3 partition for lenny to work. The webinstaller does an initial boot with the 2.4 kernel in flash and then loads the 2.6 kernel. Lenny requires a 2.6 kernel and so it doesn't complete the initial boot as it is still using 2.4 at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm 

That rather explains it - thanks kuroguy.

I shall trying installing uboot and a uboot kernel tonight and see if that sorts out the problem. Then onto squeeze...(that's the plan anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 am 

Is there a newer kernel (2.6.28+ and modules) available out there as a uImage for PPC? I wonder is anyone maintaining this at present or are people compiling their own kernels as they see fit?

LinkStation HG *250 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Freelink
Kuro HG *750 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze
Kuro HD *60 Uboot - Foonas-EM - Debian Squeeze (For Sale)
KuroPro *2TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.26
KuroPro *1TB Debian Lenny Armel- Kernel 2.6.25.6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:54 pm 

The latest installed by the webinstaller appears to be 2.6.27 so it appears not. [edit] Oops, I was logged into the wrong machine when I checked, this should be 2.6.25.

Installing uboot is far from trivial and all the warnings about bricking the LinkStation are somewhat off-putting so I haven't done this yet, but I have time over the weekend to take it carefully so I shall do it today or tomorrow.

Although I don't really care about which kernel I use, I may try to compile a new one once I have fully updated to squeeze. I expect it will take rather a long time...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Couple of hours, depending on the number of modules. You might want to start off with my variant-uboot, and make compiling your own kernels phase two of the project.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 pm 

That was my plan. it was stymied by build problems with uboot but I shall address that in another post.

While I'm here, thanks andre for your updated kernels and webinstaller. I found the easy to use and useful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 pm 

I managed to sort out the problems with building uboot (I never found out what was causing the "no rule to build hello_world.srec" message but by commenting out the examples directory in the Makefile, the build proceeded fine after that) and, thanks to André's help, I sorted out a problem with avr_evtd (was using ttyS1 rather than ttyS0).

I have now successfully upgraded to uboot, a 2.6 kernel and lenny.

Thanks for everyone's help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Could you please create a wiki page and describe the upgrade process? Many people would benefit from such an article.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed. mclassic has just confirmed that the image that we install as FreeLink (which is actually Sarge 3.0) is easy to update to Etch (4.0) by replacing all instances of "stable" in /etc/apt.sources with "oldstable". He said it went smoothly.

Lenny is the future, though.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:45 pm 

I would be happy to write a wiki page, but I have had what turned out to be a fairly severe problem and until I work out what the problem is, I think it may be more appropriate to wait.

The update to etch is very straightforward and merely involves editing /etc/apt/sources.list, replacing all the references to "stable" with "etch", running apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.

However, the upgrade to lenny (and thereafter to squeeze) was not so simple. The issue is that lenny requires a 2.6 kernel so you have to install uboot and a uboot 2.6 kernel first. This was not as hard as it first seemed but is certainly not for the faint of heart.

The reason I don't want to write a wiki page yet is that after running fine for 10 days and surviving several reboots, my system now will not boot and I cannot get a uboot console (using nc I haven't installed a serial port).

When I work out what has caused this I shall write all this up. It is a shame because I appeared to have an almost completely up-to-date installation of squeeze which worked beautifully as a bittorrent server. Oh well, this is what hacking is all about. Moments of elation followed by moments of despair (followed by more moments of elation followed by ....).