Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:34 pm 

Hi,

I'm reading up on how to install dark_gravy's Lenny-armel image on my LSPro V2 (I currently have Freelink installed).

In order to install this without opening up my LSPro and installing a serial console, I understand that I need to access U-Boot with netconsole. To do this, I need to upgrade U-Boot from the stock version that comes with the LSPro to a version that has netconsole. I've had a look at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... for_LS_Pro and it seems that the only ready-made version of U-Boot with this capability is still in testing and is in the password-protected 'Buffalo Dev Downloads' section.

Can anyone tell me when this version of U-Boot will be available publicly available, or if there's another version on U-Boot that has netconsole?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'm on vacation now and will follow up on this within a week... Only iPhone email now ... I've used it for 3 months w/ only good results and no problems ... Sorry for the delay... ;)

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

hi stonedyak, I'm back from vacation...

are you still interested in the netconsole version?

...we'd have to talk about "disclaimers" & that sort of thing... but it is working well for me...

post back if you are interested...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 am 

Hi, I'm definitely interested in trying it out. I realise that if i mess something up then I basically have a bricked box unless I add a serial port... However I followed the instructions for installing Freelink without any problems, so I think I should be ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

stonedyak wrote:
Hi, I'm definitely interested in trying it out. I realise that if i mess something up then I basically have a bricked box unless I add a serial port... However I followed the instructions for installing Freelink without any problems, so I think I should be ok.

well, actually, if it bricked, then you'd need at least a serial port header and serial cable, but perhaps also a JTAG cable and a header to match that ... worst case scenario ...

it can conceivably be done w/o a serial port ... but make absolutely sure you have a working netcat/nc setup already, and that you understand how to control uboot via netcat... http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... rk_Utility this is a must/prerequisite ...

you've probably read the directions for it here already... http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... for_LS_Pro in particular http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... our_LS_Pro

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:14 pm 

I'm assuming that the only way for me to get a netconsole capable version of U-Boot onto my linkstation without using any extra hardware is the 'From within Linux on your LinkStation Pro' method detailed on the wiki page?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

that is correct ... with the stock uboot in ROM, you'd need an appropriate header, cable and software to do the serial or jtag (overkill, only for recover or development usually) methods...

you have FreeLink on it now, right? which kernel are you running?

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:30 pm 

I'm away from home this weekend, so I can't check. However I'm pretty sure it's the 2.6.16 version that Freelink uses (without udev).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

The netconsole version just gives serial-like connection over the network... that's its only function. ... but it does pretty much completely open up the box w/o you physically opening it up. That is, you can perform the same starts/stops/manipulations of the boot process that one would w/ serial connection, but without the need for a serial header, cable or opening the box physically.

Also, this is a "must read" type of article: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... and_Values

If you are sure you can assume your own risk of doing this and you have read up on netcat, taken into consideration the network changes that might be necessary (in the README ... I copied it below), then pm me w/ your email address and I'll email you a copy of it.

Quote:
April 12 2008

README for Netconsole-enabled U-Boot 1.1.4 for the LS-GL

What's included:
================================
u-boot114patchesbasicv12.bin - 240kb image for uboot
u-boot114patchesbasicv12-full.bin - full 256k image for uboot

What it is:
This is a early prototype of a Netconsole-enabled U-Boot for LS-GL. It fulfills the basic need for access to UBoot without having to open up your box and attach a serial cable. It works well with LSPro V2, and should work with the stock firmware or jtymod without any modification. I would guess that it will also work with FreeLink as well, but haven't tried it so you're on your own on that. It will work fine with foonas and foonas-em. It also works with LSPro V1, though you might have to adjust env vars.

It is functional and so far (knock on wood) not a brickmaker (after about 3 weeks of testing/abuse). If you are able to brick your box with it with normal operation/use, please send me the steps you used so I can replicate the bricking/confirm the problem and try to fix it.

As such, it is a starting point, and hopefully enough members in the community will find reason to either develop it further, or make a clean break and create a truly clean port of UBoot (which would be nicer yet).

What it isn't:
It isn't original code, but rather just a port of the Buffalo 109 version (based on UBoot 1.1.1) to UBoot 1.1.4, along with Netconsole being enabled, more commands turned on, and some utility scripts/env vars hard coded in. Some of the ideas are taken from LNI's patches for the PPC UBoot.

If you are looking for the much-awaited clean (non-Marvell, non-Buffalo) port of UBoot, this isn't it. If you want that, I encourage you to build it, and please share it with the rest of the community and me :) . A clean port of UBoot to the ARM machines is my first choice, but is way beyond what I am able to commit in time and energy.

It isn't perfect and isn't polished. There are a few places for improvement in interface, performance (wait times) and integration with the external buttons. Please see the later section "Quirks/Stuff to try to change/add:"

Acknowledgements
Thanks to bbradley (for giving good advice and suggestions on both uboot and jtag), jonli447 (for his work back in 2007 with the GPL source), and lb_worm (who remembered what had been done w/ jtag and uboot earlier). Also, thanks to linuxnotincluded (LNI) for the PPC UBoot port, which set the standard.

Features:
*All the functions of the Buffalo 109 UBoot

*Netconsole (on by default)

*Serial connection (only by executing "run ser" while in netconsole)

*Automatic fallback to tftp_booting if no bootable system is found

*Some very basic scripts for setting env vars for foonas (or other distros w/ root & kernel on /dev/sda1):
fooboot - boot foonas from hdd
foobootem - boot foonas-em from tftp (serverip 192.168.11.149)
envfoohdd - set env var 'bootcmd' for foonas hdd booting
envfooem - set env var 'bootcmd' for foonas-em tftp booting
envreset - reset env vars to stock defaults (for stock Buffalo firmware/OS booting or FreeLink-ARM)
Note: Execute these by issuing "run fooboot", etc.

*Commands (a handful more than in Buff 109):
boot - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
bootd - boot default, i.e., run 'bootcmd'
boot end .
bootm - boot application image from memory
bootp - boot image via network using BootP/TFTP protocol
bubt - Burn an image on the Boot Flash.
cmp - memory compare
coninfo - print console devices and information
cp - memory copy
cpumap - Display CPU memory mapping settings.
crc32 - checksum calculation
date - get/set/reset date & time
dhcp - invoke DHCP client to obtain IP/boot params
diskboot- boot from IDE device
echo - echo args to console
erase - erase FLASH memory
ext2load- load binary file from a Ext2 filesystem
ext2ls- list files in a directory (default /)
flinfo - print FLASH memory information
go - start application at address 'addr'
help - print online help
ide - IDE sub-system
loadb - load binary file over serial line (kermit mode)
loads - load S-Record file over serial line
loop - infinite loop on address range
md - memory display
micon -command(2byte hex) -data(witin 32byte hex)
mm - memory modify (auto-incrementing)
mtest - simple RAM test
mw - memory write (fill)
nm - memory modify (constant address)
pci - list and access PCI Configuration Space
ping - send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST to network host
printenv- print environment variables
protect - enable or disable FLASH write protection
rarpboot- boot image via network using RARP/TFTP protocol
reset - Perform RESET of the CPU
run - run commands in an environment variable
saveenv - save environment variables to persistent storage
security -device -command -options -password
setenv - set environment variables
shutdown - Poff .
tftpboot- boot image via network using TFTP protocol
version - print monitor version

Installation, Flashing & JTAG:
At your own risk, of course and since this is beta, you really shouldn't do it without access to JTAG
< http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... for_LS-Pro >

Directions for flashing this are on the article page
< http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... our_LS_Pro >

Use:
Your workstation must be have an IP of 192.168.11.149, and you should have nc (netcat) running, perhaps with something to the effect of:

nc -u -p 6666 -v 192.168.11.150 6666

The LSPro should be connected in the normal way to your network. When you start up your LSPro, after about 5-10 seconds you will see

egiga0

If you want to pause booting, you can press <return> 3 times right now, or just let it autoboot. There are some autoboot-stop prompts, but they seem to act quirky so, it sometimes works better just to use the returns after egiga0. After that, something like:

egiga0

[PRIME]

_____ _____ _____ _____ _ _
| | | _ | __|___| |___ ___| |_ ___ ___| | ___ ___ ___
| | | | |__ |___| --| -_| | _| _| .'| |_| . | _| . |
|_|___|__|__|_____| |_____|___|_|_|_| |_| |__,|_|_|___|_| |_ |
|___|

Using 88E1118 phy

Marvell Serial ATA Adapter
Integrated Sata device found
Device 0: OK
Model: WDC WD2500JD-00HBC0 Firm: 08.02D08 Ser#: WD-WCAL77520516
Type: Hard Disk
Supports 48-bit addressing
Capacity: 238475.1 MB = 232.8 GB (488397168 x 512)

Using device ide0, partition 1

Loading from block device ide device 0, partition 1: Name: hda1
Type: U-Boot File:/boot/uImage

2282096 bytes read
Using device ide1, partition 1
** Bad partition 1 **
Booting from Device 0
hit any key to switch tftp boot.
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
switched to TFTP boot.
<<system_bootend>>
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
=>

Search_Boot and No initrd warning:
Normal behavior for Buffalo's UBoot 109 is to look for the file specified by the env var 'initrd' on the hdd. If that can't be found, it will attempt to autoboot via tftp whatever is defined by the env var 'def_tftp'. By altering these two variables and the additional variable 'bootcmd', one can customize the booting behavior of the LSPro and keep the ability for UBoot to automatically search attached hard drives for a bootable system, and also automatically fall back to EM booting when no hdd filesystem is present.

Quirks/Stuff to try to change/add:
*Behavior for stopping at the auto-boot prompts is sometimes inconsistent. It would be nice if it was more smooth. Three returns after seeing 'egiga0' is the current workaround for this.

*A miniconsole feature using the power button for boot mode selection, and the reset button for netconsole<->serial console switching would be ideal.

*nfs support needs to be turned on.

*Autosensing for the serial connection would be nice, so that if a serial cable is connected, all output would be automatically sent via serial instead of netconsole.

*The irritating hi-lo tftp-alarm that is normally started when no initrd is found has been disabled. Disabling this has two effects: 1) silencing the shrill siren tone that one would hear on the stock uboot if no initrd is found, and 2) keeping the box from powering down after 5 minutes if no initrd is found at startup. Please tell me if you feel this should be turned back on, as it might be of some benefit. We may be able to change the tone/volume/length of the alarm, as well as including the keepalive signal in the alarm routine (or disabling the code that causes it to power down after 5 minutes in this case).

Additions to this list are welcome, as well as solutions and patches.

Dave Purdy (davygravy)
linkstationwiki.net

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:14 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Dave,

I'm also interested in installing an nc-enabled U-Boot on my LS Pro v1. I've got a working Freelink installation (kernel version 2.6.12.6-arm1) and I think I could even live with a bricked box for a while (would have to invest some time to solder some cables then... :roll:). I'm also planning to do this from within Linux.

So I would like to ask you to pm me your version of U-Boot as well.

Thanks in advance,
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am 
Site Admin

nikipore wrote:
Hi Dave,
... and I think I could even live with a bricked box for a while (would have to invest some time to solder some cables then... :roll:). ...
Jan

Well, I want to point out one thing we discovered about it see : Limitations-Workaround. It requires being able to ping serverip at bootup - that is to say, one unintended behavior is that if it can't see/ping any host at whatever IP is given in the variable serverip, it will halt the boot process and sit... for 4 minutes and then power down. This sort of thing is precisely why it is a beta/developer issue. I will reiterate that I have 3 boxes w/ it on, and they all work fine/splendidly for me (no brix!), so I am confident that stuff is OK, but I can't/won't guarantee you that it will work for you, nor can I rescue your box if you happen to brick it. As long as you can live w/ the risk to your box, and deal w/ it on your own, I'll be happy to send you a copy of it.

Work is really busy ( :x disgustingly so )for me now, so I may not be able to talk you through problems you might encounter...

:) I really hope this doesn't sound to Dante-esque ( like "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here..." ) I just want to avoid any case where the well-intended user gets in a situation/problem that proves difficult for them to work through...

What I'd really love is for someone to pick up the torch on this project and run the next lap... as incentive, I promise that if you fix this up/finish it, then I'll buy you a case of beer, too. :D

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 pm 
Total Newbie

I'm planning to run this command in the beginning
Code:
setenv changeip setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.2 \; setenv serverip 192.168.0.1 \; setenv ncip 192.168.0.1 \; saveenv
run changeip
in order to let my router listen to the box at boot time. For the initial setup, I would then put my pc (with the router's ip) in place. As to the limitation about a host to be ping-able at boot time, I've seen this command in a thread:
Code:
setenv netretry no; saveenv
Would that help? Or is it this feature which is broken?
:arrow:Edit: Do not set the variables as described above. Sorry for being late on the unwarning, but I was so busy setting the new lenny up (and, actually, get soe "real work" done ;) ). It temporarily locked me out of the box, although I eventually was able to recover tftp booting foonas-em and resetting the env values to their original values. I'm still not sure whether it was the netretry variable or the change of the ip settings. A big thanksalot @ davy_gravy, who always came up with a new idea when I was ready to solder...
Plus, davy_gravy really did a great and clean job on the lenny image. Consider, however, following the howto in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9371. It's in german, but I'll translate it if anyone is interested. The basic idea is to use the tftp recovery image provided by Buffalo to boot foonas-em and then set the lenny image up. The netconsole enabled u-boot is a cool thing, but i found the stock u-boot to reboot faster and more reliably (no dependences on a pingable host) for a productive home server. I'll keep experimenting with the netcat-enabled u-boot on the box I originally bricked, but followed the stock u-boot route on a newly acquired ls live v1 for my productive home server.

davy_gravy wrote:
Work is really busy ( :x disgustingly so )for me now, so I may not be able to talk you through problems you might encounter...
I really hope this doesn't sound to Dante-esque ( like "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here..." ) I just want to avoid any case where the well-intended user gets in a situation/problem that proves difficult for them to work through...
That's fine, I'm pretty busy myself, grown up, and all that. If I brick it, I'll just slam that damn thing against the wall 8-) ... no, in fact, it would break my heart, of course :cry:
davy_gravy wrote:
What I'd really love is for someone to pick up the torch on this project and run the next lap... as incentive, I promise that if you fix this up/finish it, then I'll buy you a case of beer, too. :D
Wait and see, the day I have some spare time and a 2nd box to play with and solder some cables ... :ugeek:

You already did great work, man (afa I can tell from the reactions to it), so I'm eager to play with it myself. Will you send me your U-Boot, then? I'll promise I won't blame it or you.

Best, Jan

Last edited by nikipore on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

nikipore wrote:
1. I'm planning to run this command in the beginning
Code:
setenv changeip setenv ipaddr 192.168.0.2 \; setenv serverip 192.168.0.1 \; setenv ncip 192.168.0.1 \; saveenv
run changeip
in order to let my router listen to the box at boot time. For the initial setup, I would then put my pc (with the router's ip) in place. Followup edit :

2.As to the limitation about a host to be ping-able at boot time, I've seen this command in a thread:
Code:
setenv netretry no; saveenv
Would that help? Or is it this feature which is broken?

3... I'll promise I won't blame it or you...
Best, Jan

Read post above by nikipore : his netretry command broke connectivity on his box and it temporarily locked him out of his box. He did eventually recover it, by tftp-booting foonas-em.

1. That looks like it might work... nowadays I just change my network to fit my compiled values... it is easier, I think, to do that.

2. I've never used that netretry command, and I'm not familiar w/ it, though it is present here : http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... KuroBox_HG. I don't actually see it referenced in the env var values I see for any of the ARM boxes, so it might not be implemented on this UBoot originally from Marvell & Buffalo...

3. OK, that's what I needed to hear. ;) PM me w/ your email addy & I send it out.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:44 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi davy,

First of all, thanks for your work and sorry for my english.

I have the same setup as nikipore has, and I want to install lenny too. I understand perfectly the risks I must assume and I accept them. ¿Can you email/pm me the netconsole enabled u-boot, please? I also promise I won't blame it or you :-)

Thanks again and best regards from Spain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

angeloso wrote:
Hi davy,

First of all, thanks for your work and sorry for my english.

I have the same setup as nikipore has, and I want to install lenny too. I understand perfectly the risks I must assume and I accept them. ¿Can you email/pm me the netconsole enabled u-boot, please? I also promise I won't blame it or you :-)

Thanks again and best regards from Spain.

Su ingles es muy bueno. O sea, es mejor que mi espanol! ;) Sure, I can send you a copy. Please, read the orange, red and green comments above. nikipore's box was not bricked, but I discourage the changing of values associated w/ the network side of things in UBoot. It is better to adjust your network settings a bit... Above all, be careful! :)

PM me w/ your email addy and I'll email you a copy of the binary.

Please be aware that the some users have noticed lower network transfer speeds w/ the 2.6.26 kernel - it isn't bad, just not as fast as the original kernel, in terms of network transfer speeds.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!