Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:40 pm 
Betatester

Thanks to Christian Marillat armel is now supported on http://debian-multimedia.org/.
So now you can do an apt-get install mythtv-backend - at least if you use Debian unstable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Have you tried this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

I would like to "second" lb_worm's question...

Has anyone tried this actually and gotten good (or other!) results?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 am 

For that matter, has anyone been successful in connecting an ATSC USB tuner to a Linkstation and at least being able to communicate with a kernel module?

I have a Hauppauge HVR-950 that I've had working with mythtv and a Fedora 8 Intel-based PC using the module from here:

http://mcentral.de/wiki/index.php5/Em2880

but I don't think anyone's got the module (em2880-dvb) compiled on any existing kernel, and I'm not quite to the point of recompiling my own kernel yet.

Oh, and is anyone aware of a small command-line utility to grab an ATSC stream to a file (for testing a setup like this)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:48 am 

lb_worm wrote:
Have you tried this?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I finally got around to upgrading my Linkstation Live v2 to a lenny drop (while upgrading to a Western Digital WD10EACS 1 TB drive [which is working just fine in the LS Live, BTW]).

I went ahead and installed mythtv-backend and mythtv-database, but have been unable to get mythtv-setup to run (it requires an X server...I tried using
Code:
ssh -X <lslive>
and then running mythtv-setup, but nothing would ever appear on my screen. So I'm stuck for now.

If anybody's been able to get past this, or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 am 

this works
Code:
ssh -X root@192.168.1.10 /usr/bin/mythtv-setup

also have a look in this thread
http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13811&hilit=mythtv

edit: I installed some xbase stuff... I'll check my installed packages when I'm home...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm 

[Slightly offtopic]

I finally have some success to report on this front. :up: With a self-compiled 2.6.29.1 kernel and a one-line patch to the em28xx driver, I've been successful in getting my Hauppauge HVR-950 (1st generation, not the HVR-950q, which uses a different chipset).

After compiling and installing, I used the tools from the Debian Lenny dvb-utils to do a test capture:
Code:
scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee ~/.azap/channels.conf (to create the list of available channels)
azap -r KCET-HD (to tune the tuner to a local station)
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > KCET-HD.ts (to record to KCET-HD.ts.  Run in a separate shell)

I'm afraid that a full MythTV backend setup will be too RAM-heavy for the Linkstation (MySQL, mythbackend, etc.), so I looked around for a lighter-weight PVR-type program. I found atscap, whose developer stopped working on it some time ago, and in fact generated some controversy by attempting to revoke the GPL license on all versions he'd put out (not legal, in my IANAL opinion).

After some effort, I got it compiled on the Linkstation. It's actually quite a slick program, with scheduling, web interface showing EPG info, etc. The problem is that it's WAY too processor-intensive when it's recording or grabbing EPG info. I don't know what it does, but it manages to kick the load on my Linkstation Live v2 to the 7 to 9 range! Needless to say, everything else on the box stops. The funny thing is that when using the dvbtools to capture a stream, the load stays under 1 the whole time. So as much as I wanted to use atscap, I just can't.

Not sure where to go from here. I'm thinking of writing a Quick-n-Dirty(tm) script or two to automate the dvb-tools method of capture.

BTW, I'm not 100% positive, but I've heard that the Hauppauge HVR-850 is basically identical to the HVR-950 unit I have now, so it might work with the same setup, and is still available. But I also read somewhere that there are two versions of the HVR-850 which use different chipsets. So caveat emptor!

If anybody gets a mythbackend setup working well, I'd still be interested in hearing about it. Also, if you have success with other USB HD tuner sticks, please post so others will know.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:12 pm 

I use used mythtvbackend as a mythtv master backend including the mysql database and mythweb. The recording cards were on my mythtv slave backend. The process mythtvbackend was very cpu intensive on the Box so I gave up. Now I'm thinking of using mythtv-database thats only the mysql setup for mythtv.