I finally have some success to report on this front.
With a self-compiled 188.8.131.52 kernel and a one-line patch to the em28xx driver
, I've been successful in getting my Hauppauge HVR-950 (1st generation, not the HVR-950q, which uses a different chipset).
After compiling and installing, I used the tools from the Debian Lenny dvb-utils to do a test capture:
scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee ~/.azap/channels.conf (to create the list of available channels)
azap -r KCET-HD (to tune the tuner to a local station)
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > KCET-HD.ts (to record to KCET-HD.ts. Run in a separate shell)
I'm afraid that a full MythTV backend setup will be too RAM-heavy for the Linkstation (MySQL, mythbackend, etc.), so I looked around for a lighter-weight PVR-type program. I found atscap
, whose developer stopped working on it some time ago, and in fact generated some controversy by attempting to revoke the GPL license on all versions he'd put out (not legal, in my IANAL opinion).
After some effort, I got it compiled on the Linkstation. It's actually quite a slick program, with scheduling, web interface showing EPG info, etc. The problem is that it's WAY too processor-intensive when it's recording or grabbing EPG info. I don't know what it does, but it manages to kick the load on my Linkstation Live v2 to the 7 to 9 range! Needless to say, everything else on the box stops. The funny thing is that when using the dvbtools to capture a stream, the load stays under 1 the whole time. So as much as I wanted to use atscap, I just can't.
Not sure where to go from here. I'm thinking of writing a Quick-n-Dirty(tm) script or two to automate the dvb-tools method of capture.
BTW, I'm not 100% positive, but I've heard that the Hauppauge HVR-850 is basically identical to the HVR-950 unit I have now, so it might work with the same setup, and is still available. But I also read somewhere that there are two versions of the HVR-850 which use different chipsets. So caveat emptor!
If anybody gets a mythbackend setup working well, I'd still be interested in hearing about it. Also, if you have success with other USB HD tuner sticks, please post so others will know.