Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: iSCSI on the TsPro2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:50 pm 

I'd like to get something like iSCSI enterprise target at iscsitarget.sourceforge.net working on the TsPro2. Has anyone tried it or any similar iSCSI support?

I'm presuming it should just be a matter of compiling natively or via the Codesourcery toolchains. I've yet to try either mind and the Codesourcery site seems to be painfully thin on documentation. If anyone's got any ideas or tips they'd like to send my way, please do as iSCSI would make my life so much easier at the minute.

Cal.

Post subject: Re: iSCSI on the TsPro2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:50 pm 

Being as no one else seems too interested, I'll reply to myself.

Hi there.

I've got the current Japanese firmware - iSCSI support included in it - , extracted the rootfs file and using the passwords found on this sight, un-gzipped it and found the relevant iscsi related files. The iscis_trgt.ko module loads fine and the ietd daemon runs fine, as does the admin program.

I've yet to actually serve up a partition as I'll need to resize and then repartition my lovely RAID 10 setup first. Actually that probably means just wipe and repartition unless I work out a way of resizing RAID10. Anyone who is hankering after iSCSI support on the TsPro2 might like to try extracting the above mentioned files along with the /etc/init.d script and the /etc/ietd.conf file and then seeing how things go. You could even grab the html pages to be able to set it up via the web interface. Alternatively someone might like to try installing the Japanese firmware and seeing if it all works fine or not.

OK, that's my two pence worth. I'll add more for me to read and respond to when I get round to actually using iSCSI properly.

C.

Oh yeah, the firmware can be found at:
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... gl_fw.html
via the Google transbobulation serviceariser.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:05 pm 

I worked it out!

Well done Callum.

Thanks Callum.

Perhaps you'd like to write a guide for me.

OK. I'm going home now though so I'll do it tomorrow if I remember.

Thanks Callum

No problem Callum.

Callum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:27 pm 

OK, here's a basic way of getting iscsi going on the TS-Pro2. Bear in mind it needs the 2.6.16.16-arm1 kernel. Also bear in mind that this is written from memory so I might have missed something out, though if I have, respond and interrupt this conversation I'm having with myself and I'll have a look for you. Finally, bear in mind that this might kill your shiny black box or do something else bad. Sorry about that if it happens but you know how it is.

Also, this is very basic, and might even be unecessary if you want to try flashing the Japanese firmware and then changing it over to English. Someone might like to try that and someone else might like to automate this process and / or do something a bit better with the init.d script. And while you're at it, where's that crc32c module that's silently modprobed in the init.d script? I can't find it anywhere.

1. Download and extract the 1.22 Japanese firmware.

*** THE ADDRESS IS WRONG. CHECK POSTS BELOW FOR THE CORRECT ONE ***

a) Go to http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... gl_fw.html and scroll to the bottom. Follow the link which reads ' "Downloading software license agreement" to agree to download ' and then save the tshtgl-122.exe file.

b) Run the tshtgl-122.exe you've saved (it being win32 you'll need windows or some clever compatability layer in Linux remember). Type a location to extract the files to in the available box and then press the left hand button, which may or may not say 'OK.' If a WebBrowser page opens up close it. Go to the directory you entered and find the TS-HTGL_FW122 folder.

c) If you're working in Linux, all well and good. If not either copy the file hddrootfs.img to a Linux machine or ensure you've got software which can deal with tgz's. Winrar might do that, I can't remember. Anyway, rename the hddrootfs.img file to hddrootfs.zip. In Linux at a terminal prompt type unzip hddrootfs.zip and enter aAhvlM1Yp7_2VSm6BhgkmTOrCN1JyE0C5Q6cB3oBB as the password when asked (all respect to those on this board who worked out the passwords). In Windows, do something similar. You should now have a file called hddrootfs.buffalo.updated. Rename this to hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.tgz and do a gunzip -d hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.tgz ; tar -xvf hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.tar leaving you with a lovely pile of files.

2. Copy the relevant files to your TS-Pro2.

a) You need a variety of files to get a basic iSCSI set up going. The following need copying from the directories you've just unzipped into the same places on your TS-PRO2. Either use a USB drive or scp, ftp or whatever you like. Again if you're using Windows, work out an equivalent and whichever you're using, check the permissions before and after.

./lib/modules/2.6.16.16-arm1/kernel/iscsi
./lib/modules/2.6.16.16-arm1/kernel/iscsi/iscsi_trgt.ko
./etc/init.d/iscsi-target.sh
./etc/melco/iscsi_info
./etc/hotplug.d/scsi_device
./etc/melco/diskinfo <- check this doesn't already exist. You'll need to combine if it does.
./etc/melco/iscsi_info
./etc/buffalo_expansion_firmware

b) Now set the iscsi_info file up with the following:

echo "iscsi_service=on" >> /etc/melco/iscsi_info

c) Next cripple much of the init.d script. This is a basic way of stopping the TsPro2 trying to configure things for us. It's important to do this if you've got any data stored on your disks as the default script tries to unmount and serve things up by itself, presuming you've done it all via the web interface. If you're good at shell scripting, you might be able to do something much more functional than this.

vi /etc/init.d/iscsi-target.sh (or whichever editor you've got handy).

Find line #90 & #91, just under the declaration: UmountAllDevices(){
Comment out both lines so that neither umount calls are made.
Add a line directly underneath at line #92 that reads: echo "Skipping umount."
Comment out lines #350 & #351, both within the 'start' argument, calling UmountAllDevices() & SetupIetdConf().
Comment out line #359 in the 'restart' argument, again calling SetupIetdConf()
Save and close the file. But remember to make a backup first eh?

d) Set up /etc/ietd.conf. This is best done by either looking at 'man ietd.conf' on a system with it installed or by trawling the internet. Here's a copy of my basic set up.

Target iqn.2007-12.local.org.swarthmore.nas1:terastation-pro-001601A530D9:0
Lun 0 Path=/dev/sde1,Type=fileio
Alias buffalo-iscsi0
MaxConnections 1
MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 65536
MaxXmitDataSegmentLength 65536
MaxBurstLength 16776192
FirstBurstLength 262144

This is set to serve up a partition on my usbdisk as I have my SATA disks doing other things. When I carelessly ran the init.d script without editing it, it rewrote my ietd.conf, unmounted my RAID partitions and tried to serve them up as iscsi offerings. So really don't try and test anything until you've edited the init.d script and the ietd.conf script.

3) Run the init.d script.
A simple /etc/init.d/iscsi-target.sh start should now insmod the module, set ietd on its way and serve up your stated partition or whatever. You can then point you iscsi client at it and watch stuff happen.

Well thanks a lot for that Callum.

No problem Callum.

Callum.

Last edited by skem on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:31 pm 

Sorry to interrupt this conversation with yourself but,

aAhvlM1Yp7_2VSm6BhgkmTOrCN1JyE0C5Q6cB3oBB this password doesn't work ...

but this one is working perfectly

YvSInIQopeipx66t_DCdfEvfP47qeVPhNhAuSYmA4

I tried to follow your walkthrough but it seems that buffalo changed his firmware because I don't find any of the files you're talkin about in step 2a

Here's the info of the file that I got from buffalo website, following your link in step 1a

tshtgl-122.exe (77.519.645 bytes)

Are you sure it's the good one ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:32 am 

You're dead right about the password: I must have copied and pasted the wrong one. The files work fine for me though. I'm downloading the exe again just to make sure it hasn't been changed in the meantime. After you rename hddrootfs.buffalo.updated to hddrootfs.buffalo.updated.tgz then extract and untar it, what files do you get?

C.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:58 pm 

OK further investigations lead me to suspect that I was actually using the LS firmware: note to all, don't try flashing your Tspro2 with that unless you're very bored.

Try downloading it from http://driver.buffalo.jp/buffalo/hd/lsgl112_2a.exe and unzipping it with the original password. In fact all should be correct now in the above instructions, so long as you download the correct file.

See that's the problem when other people join in, everything was fine and accurate until someone came along and pointed out I was talking $hi&... .. . Ignorance, blissful ignorance. That's what Christmas is all about. Or something.

C.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:07 pm 

You're right... You used the LS firmware instead of TSpro... You wrote the good password for this file. I tried it and so far so good.. Still looking for a way to tweak a little bit your setup. But it's fonctionnal for now. I'll come back with an update once I'm done with testing.

Thanks again Callum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:14 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi,
THank you very much for your guide.It is excellent.However I do have a problem.I have downloaded the Japaneze firmware which is now at release 1.24.
However they have removed the iscsi support. :( Any chance of sending that files via email?

GeneZiS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:38 am 
Total Newbie

I managed to find the link in the end.It has been changed and it also took a very long time to download.
Here it goes:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbuffalo.jp%2Fdownload%2Fdriver%2Fhd%2Fls-gl_fw-112-2a.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

However I need some assitance.I have set up the iscsi but everytime I try to mount the sdb2 It is not showing anydrive.

Basically I am trying to server the share vai iscsi to my vmware server.
Thanks for help

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:49 pm 

Just noticed this post. If you're still struggling. Post again and I'll see if I can help. I'm no expert mind and haven't touched my setup for ages as it scares me now.

C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:57 am 
Total Newbie

Thanks for the guide.

I have followed it but was wondering what the ietd.conf would be if using the device with raid 10 and 1 array?

Your help with this would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:44 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi skem let me recommend you an iSCSI target that I been playing with since a few of days; it calls StarWind Server you should check it out. :D