OK... so I'm talking to myself. But I did
get this to work, so maybe this will help someone else.
- Moved Apache to port 8000 by adding a "Listen 8000" line to httpd.conf
- Turned off Web Access using the Buffalo web configuration interface.
- Thought about renaming /etc/init.d/webaxs/sh but decided that was useless.
- Created a very cut down lighttpd.conf in /opt/local/lib; used port 80 and changed document root.
- Built a lighttpd.sh in /etc/init.d by copying and modifying sshd.sh
- Added lighttpd.sh to rcS. For some reason, lighttpd would not start if added to Step 3 or Step 4 lists, so I just added it at the bottom of rcS.
I now have a local "traditional" web server that survives reboots and configuration changes.
I also added an "internal" hosts record to allow the internal web server to be reached by the name "internal."