I'll do a mini-write up but at the moment I'm having issues with the box going into EM mode after a reboot. From my reading on this its something to do with the files in /boot. I can put it back into normal mode by doing this:
and rebooting. If I can get out of this loop I'll be home and dry.
Can anyone give me a pointer of what should be in the /boot directory for a stable davy_gravy setup to work?
It looks like I had an error in my /etc/fstab.
I got very confused with what needs to go in /boot. I'm still not entirely clear that I've got it right but it does seem to be booting well. Here's what I did:Health warming!! I am an enthusiastic amateur of the 'a little knowledge is dangerous' type that is not scared of bricking my unit - you may feel differently -read and follow at your own risk!!
1) yanked out the HDD form the linkstation and hooked it up to my ubuntu server and the partitions appeared as /dev/sdb(x)
2) I deleted /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdb5 /dev/sdb6 (these of course all go back to /dev/sda(x) in the linkstation)
3) I then recreated them all at the sizes I wanted using webmin on my server (leaving the swap partition the same size as it was originally) with the exception of /dev/sdb6 - I wanted to make this ext4 and webmin didn't support doing that but its not necessary to get the system up and running - I planned to create that partition later.
Then I took the latest davy_gravy kernel, modules and rootfs and put them in the relevant places following the main guide here:
The guide mentioned compiling your own kernel, but I'm not sure why you'd need to if you can use the davy_gravy ones.
I altered the /etc/network/interfaces to dhcp and put the disk back in the unit and booted it up, crossing my figures that it would work!
I'm not sure if this by more by luck than judgement because I had some conflicts with what was in /dev/sda1 (my boot partition) and the files in /dev/sda2/boot <-- the boot directiory in the rootfs.
I have not done anything with fooboot or u-boot so as far as I can tell I've not altered the flash disk at all.
I altered /etc/fstab so that my boot partition was mounting at boot correctly and this seems to have kept the unit from going into EM_mode.
Last thing to do is to create the /dev/sda6 main data partition which I did from the command line and I'm pretty sure that's it.