Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:58 pm 

Hi Everyone

I appreciate I am new here and believe me I have spent *A LOT* of time reading the various posts in the forum and on the wiki - there is some fantastic info here.

I believe I'm trying to achieve the same as many people when it comes to running debian on my 500Gb LSPRO. I have been running freelink for well over a year and I'm pretty familiar with linux in general as a user (10+ years) (not a developer).

I had no trouble with getting freelink up and running but - and I'm not sure if I am correct in my assumptions - there seems to be some stability issue with it when really hammering the network and I've caused my box to reboot a few times under heavy load.

So.. I felt it was worth a go at upgrading to lenny and getting a recent kernel on there to see if it helps and if I've understood will give me access to better kernel support for arm and more respoitories for application updates.

I don't have a serial cable and it seem the u-boot that I have is not netboot enabled. I really need to alter the partition arrangement on the disk to get a larger root partition (and maybe change it all to ext4?). I can happily loose all the data as I have it backed up elsewhere and I can connect the disk physically to a windows machine, mac, ubuntu server or a debian running in virtualbox (on my xp machine or mac) if this is neded.

Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of which upgrade process would be best for me to try. I thought my best option was to follow Davy_gravy's guide and it seems really detailed (if a little hard to find buried in the forum posts!) and good but it asumes either serial or netboot and I don't have either of these working. I just seem to be stuck at the first hurdle.

So I guess I am looking for a migtration from freelink to lenny via some means that does not require a serial cable.

Any advice on which guide or process is best is much appreciated!

Adrian

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 pm 

Ok - stupid me found the exact article on the wiki.

Well almost exact, I didn't follow it exactly, but found my own way through and now I have a fully functioning system:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Freelink_upgrade_to_lenny_with_SATA-USB_adapter

Quote:
lemon:~# uname -a
Linux lemon 2.6.29.1 #1 PREEMPT Mon Apr 6 22:33:31 CDT 2009 armv5tel GNU/Linux

If anyone is interested in what I did differently please just ask, it really was a very simple procedure after all!

Adrian

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:15 pm 
Total Newbie

I'm going to do the same update as you did. Can you specify what you did differently with the guide? I own a Linkstation Live V2 with freelink installed. But the udev was updated accidentally and it's not working with the freelink 2.6.12 kernel.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:37 am 

I'll do a mini-write up but at the moment I'm having issues with the box going into EM mode after a reboot. From my reading on this its something to do with the files in /boot. I can put it back into normal mode by doing this:

Quote:
touch /boot/rootfs_ok

and rebooting. If I can get out of this loop I'll be home and dry.

Can anyone give me a pointer of what should be in the /boot directory for a stable davy_gravy setup to work?

EDIT

It looks like I had an error in my /etc/fstab.

I got very confused with what needs to go in /boot. I'm still not entirely clear that I've got it right but it does seem to be booting well. Here's what I did:

Health warming!! I am an enthusiastic amateur of the 'a little knowledge is dangerous' type that is not scared of bricking my unit - you may feel differently -read and follow at your own risk!!

1) yanked out the HDD form the linkstation and hooked it up to my ubuntu server and the partitions appeared as /dev/sdb(x)
2) I deleted /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdb5 /dev/sdb6 (these of course all go back to /dev/sda(x) in the linkstation)
3) I then recreated them all at the sizes I wanted using webmin on my server (leaving the swap partition the same size as it was originally) with the exception of /dev/sdb6 - I wanted to make this ext4 and webmin didn't support doing that but its not necessary to get the system up and running - I planned to create that partition later.

Then I took the latest davy_gravy kernel, modules and rootfs and put them in the relevant places following the main guide here:

Quote:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Freelink_upgrade_to_lenny_with_SATA-USB_adapter

The guide mentioned compiling your own kernel, but I'm not sure why you'd need to if you can use the davy_gravy ones.

I altered the /etc/network/interfaces to dhcp and put the disk back in the unit and booted it up, crossing my figures that it would work!

I'm not sure if this by more by luck than judgement because I had some conflicts with what was in /dev/sda1 (my boot partition) and the files in /dev/sda2/boot <-- the boot directiory in the rootfs.

I have not done anything with fooboot or u-boot so as far as I can tell I've not altered the flash disk at all.

I altered /etc/fstab so that my boot partition was mounting at boot correctly and this seems to have kept the unit from going into EM_mode.

Last thing to do is to create the /dev/sda6 main data partition which I did from the command line and I'm pretty sure that's it.