Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:22 am 

I recently got a LinkStation Quad and I'm interested in putting debian on it. I have a KuroHG with uboot/foonas-em/ubuntu on it so I'm familiar with the general steps although there seems to be lot of differences to what I've done before (i.e. em from HD not flash, ppc v arm etc).

Anyway, I tried pulling all the disks but one and it will still boot as the stock OS is raid'd across all the disks. It will boot with any of the disks. This seems like great news to me because it means that if (a) I don't mess with the flash and (b) I keep at least one of the disks unchanged, that I can always recover to the stock system with no hardware mods (serial/JTAG) from the original disk.

Therefore I plan to go ahead and attempt to get one of the lenny images designed for LinkStation Pro onto one of the disks. I believe that the hardware is pretty similar? Are there any things that anyone is aware of that I should be aware of too?

Also I am the first to do this? I haven't seen anyone attempt it with a Quad yet.

Thanks

jpg

ps. I don't care about RAID; I prefer nightly rsync backups from one disk to another - I mostly lose things by accidentally deleting them and RAID can't help me with that! :p

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 am 

To reply to my own post; I have successfully installed Lenny on a LS-Quad. It's not too difficult and assuming you keep one drive out with the original contents them you don't risk bricking your machine (I'm assuming no hardware mods here - serial or jtag). Only things to be aware of:

• Do not reformat sda1 as ext3 - it already is except has a raid ID or something - if you reformat then the LS will refuse to boot.
  • The drives (at least for me) are assigned (and boot) in order from the top - i.e. top drive is sda, bottom is sdd.
  • You can only access drive bays which were active on boot.
  • If the original firmware loads it will automatically wipe any changes you have made! (This stung me but I had a backup - nc host < sdaX)
  • Don't know if micro_evtd works yet - I need to update to the latest version but the one with lenny-stable does NOT (but the watchdog is disabled in the initrd by default, so it won't reboot, but no working lights/switches).
  • I haven't yet tried a vanilla kernel.

_jpg_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:00 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello
I'm trying to get Lenny installed on a LS Quad box too. Its untouched so far.
I have some linux user experience close to 3-4 years.
Could you point to which guides help you get started? I'm looking at viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5736&p=72241&#p72241

Any pointers greatly appreciated.