Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:53 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 am
Posts: 11
Hello everyone,
I have a Terastation Live (HS-DHTGL), and I'm curious about installing a netconsole-enabled u-boot. These forums and the wiki talk about running a patched u-boot 1.1.4 on Linkstations, and I was wondering if anyone has tried this on the Terastations. Are there any differences between the boards that might prevent 1.1.4 from working?

Also, the wiki mentions running a RAM build with a uloader kernel module, but it looks like this was a 2.4 module and I can't find any other details on it. Does uloader or anything like it still exist?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 am
Posts: 2606
AFAIK, no one has had success w/ a true RAM build, but I think bbradley was working on something similar/related. I don't remember details on exactly what he was doing.

About a year ago I began tinkering w/ uboot for ARM, and have managed to make a successful set of patches that enable netconsole on LSPro and LSLIve.

If you look at the source, you will see that it mentions the TS, IIRC. It was alway my understanding that it was "one uboot for all ARM stations", at least of a given generation. If you look at the source you will see what I mean. That said, I don't know anyone that has ever dumped a TS uboot and compared it to a uboot dumped out of an LS Pro.

There is an article in the Article section, UBoot for LSPro... that gives details.

IIRC, I may have disabled a few lines of code to quell some panicky alarms. This may have inadvertently turned of the LCD display as well.

I would not install the netconsole uboot for LSPro into a TS as is. It would have to be revisited and check thoroughly, recompiled. Then you'd need JTAG and some time for testing whatever you built, and some luck. :)
A TS would make one impressive yet prohibitively expensive Brick.(!) :|

_________________
LS1 (foonas, nfs, Tranmission & p910nd print server, Firefly for my Roku)
LS-HG500 (Lenny)
Various LS-Pros v1,v2 (unbricked w/ serial & jtag)
KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:18 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 am
Posts: 11
The u-boot.bin that comes compiled in the vanilla u-boot-1.1.1_buf109.tar.gz is different from the one in the stock firmware, but I don't know how much of it is important, or if the stock firmware even uses the same u-boot sources. Recompiling actually seems to reduce the difference, leaving a handful of scattered bytes, perhaps the build time, and a different source path for mv_main.c compiled in. Earlier, in a particularly brash moment, I did write the new u-boot.bin to /dev/mtdblock0 and rebooted, and I seem to be suffering no ill effects, so at least that's promising.

If I do end up doing something stupid and it goes wrong, how difficult is it to add the JTAG port? The reason I'm looking into this at all is because I'd like to keep the board and my fingertips away from the searing dangers of the soldering iron; I haven't installed a serial console, but I'd like some access to boot messages so I can maybe figure out why a mostly-vanilla kernel built for a Terastation Prov2 (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8496) doesn't seem to work on the Live. Would I be better off soldering in the serial console instead?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 am
Posts: 2606
dshea wrote:
The u-boot.bin that comes compiled in the vanilla u-boot-1.1.1_buf109.tar.gz is different from the one in the stock firmware, but I don't know how much of it is important, or if the stock firmware even uses the same u-boot sources. Recompiling actually seems to reduce the difference, leaving a handful of scattered bytes, perhaps the build time, and a different source path for mv_main.c compiled in. Earlier, in a particularly brash moment, I did write the new u-boot.bin to /dev/mtdblock0 and rebooted, and I seem to be suffering no ill effects, so at least that's promising.
You are a brave man, but it worked apparently. When you say "the new u-boot.bin", do you mean the one you compiled, or the one that was already in the tarball? (they should be essentially the same except, as you say, some differences attributable to date and compile environment...)

What you say here is valuable, I believe, as (as far as I know) it is a first.


Quote:
If I do end up doing something stupid and it goes wrong, how difficult is it to add the JTAG port? The reason I'm looking into this at all is because I'd like to keep the board and my fingertips away from the searing dangers of the soldering iron; I haven't installed a serial console, but I'd like some access to boot messages so I can maybe figure out why a mostly-vanilla kernel built for a Terastation Prov2 (http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8496) doesn't seem to work on the Live. Would I be better off soldering in the serial console instead?

To be honest, the serial connection is as useful or more useful than the netconsole connection, as it is (more) impervious to network problems that a kernel might have... although, yes, serial is physically more intrusive.

itimpi may know more about the serial headers soldering info, as well as details on soldering on jtag headers for the TSProv2.

_________________
LS1 (foonas, nfs, Tranmission & p910nd print server, Firefly for my Roku)
LS-HG500 (Lenny)
Various LS-Pros v1,v2 (unbricked w/ serial & jtag)
KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:22 pm
Posts: 1123
Location: United Kingdom
davy_gravy wrote:
itimpi may know more about the serial headers soldering info, as well as details on soldering on jtag headers for the TSProv2.

I am afraid not as I do not have any of the ARM based TeraStation models, all of my machines being PPC based.

If someone uploaded a high res picture of the board it is probable that we could see how close it is in design to the other models to make a reasonably well informed guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:38 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 am
Posts: 11
davy_gravy wrote:
When you say "the new u-boot.bin", do you mean the one you compiled, or the one that was already in the tarball? (they should be essentially the same except, as you say, some differences attributable to date and compile environment...)


The one compiled. I used the 2005q3 codesourcery toolchain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:21 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 5:40 am
Posts: 11
itimpi wrote:
I am afraid not as I do not have any of the ARM based TeraStation models, all of my machines being PPC based.

If someone uploaded a high res picture of the board it is probable that we could see how close it is in design to the other models to make a reasonably well informed guess.


Outwardly it's the same board board as the ARM TSPRO in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Disassemble_the_TSPROv2/TSLIVE. Is there any particular part you'd want me to zoom in on?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:19 am
Posts: 7702
Location: Austria, Vienna
i already took very good high res pics of a TS-Pro v2 board.

take a look at
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download ... II/IMAGES/

i marked the ports here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download ... resize.JPG

the three most important pics don`t have the "_resized"-suffix.

_________________
LS1 (2.6 kernel, foonas svn1062, 750 GB, UBoot 1.2) & LS Pro (FreeLink/jtymod/GenLink, changes all the time)
Thx to all donators!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:37 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 am
Posts: 2606
itimpi & mindbender: do we have a record of anyone jtagging these ARM TS units/boards before?
Same for serial on these specific boards?
Maybe kuroguy tried this/these?

mindbender: nice pix :)

all: If I see what I think I see, the holes on J1 (serial) look like they are not in the customary "straight line" - are there actually 4 holes there? If not, would leads have to be attached?.
What is CN29? ( bottom center of this shot : CIMG3089_resize.JPG )


Do I see it correctly that CN17 (what is labeled as "ARM standard 20 pin") doesn't have the normal sized holes (by normal I mean the size that we are accustomed to for header pins - and that fit standard jtag connectors)?

_________________
LS1 (foonas, nfs, Tranmission & p910nd print server, Firefly for my Roku)
LS-HG500 (Lenny)
Various LS-Pros v1,v2 (unbricked w/ serial & jtag)
KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group