Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: XFS fixed?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, I thought you meant for SDA1. SDA2 mounting can be specified in fstab but I think that UDEV may pick it up (If you have Freelink).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:59 am 

OK, done! :D

Important Notes for those who want convert sda2 to EXT3:
As of today below modification only apply to initrd.buffalo came with Japan Version 1.2 or above LS Live firmware, later Buffalo firmware release on other regions may include it as well. I believe this is the answer from Buffalo to address the unstable XFS with ARM boxes, the function FsckXFS will perform a xfs_repair on rootfs every time system boot up. However, the default big "share" partition sda6 which will store customers valuable data are remain vulnerable.

Caution: If you don't make the below modification and reboot you box with a ext3 rootfs on /dev/sda2, the FsckXFS function call in initrc.buffalo/linuxrc will corrupt your entire /dev/sda2, so BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR rootfs in sda2 before doing anything.

We only need to made the below modification to initrd.buffalo/linuxrc, mount type "-t ext3" is required, I tried take it out and doesn't works, also Linkstation may enter EM-Mode in the first reboot, if this is the case use "acp_commander.jar -normmode" and reboot one more time then it will resume to Normal Mode:
Code:
$ sudo diff -u linuxrc.old linuxrc
--- linuxrc.old   2009-01-14 09:30:51.000000000 +0800
+++ linuxrc   2009-01-14 09:05:31.000000000 +0800
@@ -72,7 +72,8 @@
    ##fsck_localdisks
    echo "== fsck_disks =="
    fsck.ext3 -pyf /dev/${DEV_BOOT}
-   FsckXFS /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1}
+   fsck.ext3 -pyf /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1}
+   ##FsckXFS /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1}
 }

HasUpdatedFile()
@@ -112,10 +113,10 @@
 TestRootfs()
 {
    ##echo "-- TestRootfs --"
-   mount -n -o rw /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1} /mnt
+   mount -t ext3 -n -o rw /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1} /mnt
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
       # retry
-      mount -n -o rw /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1} /mnt
+      mount -t ext3 -n -o rw /dev/${DEV_ROOTFS1} /mnt
    fi
    if [ $? = 0 ]; then
       PRDI1=`grep PRODUCTID /proc/buffalo/firmware`

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Why did a mount not work? Specifying ext3 in the initrd is very restrictive. Mount should be able to determine the type from the superblock magic number or try the types specified in /etc/filesystems. If this is still an issue then I could provide an alternative via boot_options file.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:28 pm 

By checking dmesg I found "mount" attemp to issue 2 x XFS mount operations (issue the 2nd mount when the 1st failed which seems match the code), lucky that this time the XFS mount attempt doesn't corrupt the partition. Previously, I believe it was the FsckXFS i.e. xfs_repair destroy the EXT3 partition. Buffalo blindly specifying xfs_repair in the initrd is not just restrictive but generate disaster!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 am 

My stock rootfs don't have jfsutils and I don't have apt-get, where can I get a binary copy of jfsutils? :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am 

Here is a somewhat discouraging comment on the XFS ARM issues from lkml ....

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0812.3/00902.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 pm 

sluk wrote:

As of today below modification only apply to initrd.buffalo came with Japan Version 1.2 or above LS Live firmware, later Buffalo firmware release on other regions may include it as well. I believe this is the answer from Buffalo to address the unstable XFS with ARM boxes, the function FsckXFS will perform a xfs_repair on rootfs every time system boot up. However, the default big "share" partition sda6 which will store customers valuable data are remain vulnerable.

Sluk

BTW, thanks for the edit to the Wiki on opening up a LS Live v2 - I nearly removed loads of extra screws until I spotted your "easy way".

So the gist is that we should avoid Jap v1.2 firmware cos our data will be vulnerable? Oh dear.. that means the "Stevie Wonder" firmware which is based on the Jap 1.2 FW with LS-CHL addons like Bittorrent is flawed? Oh deary me....

I find it hard to believe Buffalo will apply a fix to everything EXCEPT the data that actually MATTERS to us!??! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:38 pm 

Methanoid wrote:
BTW, thanks for the edit to the Wiki on opening up a LS Live v2 - I nearly removed loads of extra screws until I spotted your "easy way".

I am glad you spotted that :up:
Quote:
So the gist is that we should avoid Jap v1.2 firmware cos our data will be vulnerable?

Actually, all official firmware use XFS for root-fs and on the user data partition. You have to modify the initrd.buffalo to make the changes and you also need a JFS enabled kernel if you want to use JFS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 pm 

sluk wrote:
Methanoid wrote:

I am glad you spotted that :up:
Quote:
So the gist is that we should avoid Jap v1.2 firmware cos our data will be vulnerable?

Actually, all official firmware use XFS for root-fs and on the user data partition. You have to modify the initrd.buffalo to make the changes and you also need a JFS enabled kernel if you want to use JFS.

JFS? I was asking about XFS.

What I basically wanted to know was is the Jap FW 1.20 safe or not (seems not?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:08 am 

All Buffalo official firmware use XFS so this is not a "safe" combination for your data. JFS is the replacement for XFS if you want the performance, otherwise, simply use EXT3 for all partitions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm 

sluk wrote:
All Buffalo official firmware use XFS so this is not a "safe" combination for your data. JFS is the replacement for XFS if you want the performance, otherwise, simply use EXT3 for all partitions.

I know it's an "ask" but is there a guide for converting an empty box to JFS and to EXT3. I'd like to compare the performance figures. Is JFS also a risk then as you seem to be suggesting its either performance of safety but not both?

Meth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:02 am 

Both EXT3 and JFS are safe to use with LS Pro/Live but JFS is faster in performance. However, JFS is not enabled in the Buffalo official firmware kernel so that's why I suggest convert to EXT3 is more simple if you use the Stock Firmware.

To use JFS with Stock Firmware is rather complicated. Basically you have to re-compiled the Stock Kernel by yourself with JFS enabled and also compile the JFS Utility set such as mkfs.jfs and fsck.jfs, etc. from the Debian distributed source. You also need to modify the initrd.buffalo image in order to get it mount the JFS partitions upon booting because it "hardcoded" to mount / fsck SDA2 with XFS and mount SDA6 with XFS. You have to replace those fsck and mount option with JFS or EXT3.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:01 am 

sluk wrote:
Both EXT3 and JFS are safe to use with LS Pro/Live but JFS is faster in performance. However, JFS is not enabled in the Buffalo official firmware kernel so that's why I suggest convert to EXT3 is more simple if you use the Stock Firmware.

To use JFS with Stock Firmware is rather complicated. Basically you have to re-compiled the Stock Kernel by yourself with JFS enabled and also compile the JFS Utility set such as mkfs.jfs and fsck.jfs, etc. from the Debian distributed source. You also need to modify the initrd.buffalo image in order to get it mount the JFS partitions upon booting because it "hardcoded" to mount / fsck SDA2 with XFS and mount SDA6 with XFS. You have to replace those fsck and mount option with JFS or EXT3.

That sounds beyond my humble abilities.. I'll just hope someone does a custom FW with that in place, like a fixed version of the Stevie Wonder firmware ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 pm 

All LinkStation's run on xfs
a firmware update cant convert them to any other format
as the firmware update program does all the partitioning

there is a small risk of data loss
but i have been running 3 linkstation's for around 3 years
and have yet to loose any data

But there is that risk

Methanoid wrote:
sluk wrote:

Sluk

So the gist is that we should avoid Jap v1.2 firmware cos our data will be vulnerable? Oh dear.. that means the "Stevie Wonder" firmware which is based on the Jap 1.2 FW with LS-CHL addons like Bittorrent is flawed? Oh deary me....

I find it hard to believe Buffalo will apply a fix to everything EXCEPT the data that actually MATTERS to us!??! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:46 am 

My experience was that a simple operation such as untar the Linux kernel source in the Linkstation data share partition will have a 90% chances to trigger the data corruption bug of XFS, the mount process will being terminated automatically (i.e. suddenly the share no longer accessable from remote side) then a reboot will sometimes able to re-mount but most likely an xfs_check follow wit xfs_repair are required... Buffalo also implemented forced xfs_repair upon every reboot in it's lastest Japan release of Linkstation Live firmware as a trick to eliminate customer support calls I think... :down:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next