Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: XFS fixed?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:37 am 
Site Admin

It is possible to convert the file system via an update. You need the kernel to support the new filesystem then use:

convertfs /dev/sd?? xfs jfs

to do the work. I have used this many times now and it has always worked; you do run the risk of coruption though in the event of a problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 am 
Total Newbie

Hi sluk,

So it sounds like what you're saying is that all stock firmware has the potential for data corruption b/c of a bug with xfs and arm procs... I'm using Stevie Wonder's modified stock Japan firmware - could you give us some more details on how to convert all the root / data fs into ext3? I'm worried about the data on the drive, and recompiling the kernel for JFS sounds complex..

Is it possible to convert and keep the stock web interface?

Thanks -

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:14 pm 

Anyone know if the new LS-XHL uses XFS or EXT3?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:06 pm 

Why not just use ext4. You can convert your ext3 partitions to ext4.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 am 

Don't know whether anybody else is still interested in this issue. But the status should be updated (well in case of nobody else care, this is a reference for myself in the future):

Yesterday I was trying to install a new harddisk to my ls-wvl. After partitioning, the next question was naturally the choice of file system. And although I've used JFS (except boot partition) for all my linux machine for years, I decided to give a try on XFS as I remembered to have seen somewhere that the issue of XFS on arm had been fixed. After formatting, I did a speed test using dd. And XFS rules. With CFQ I/O scheduler, the writing speed was above 160MB/s (at second partition, so close to the start of the hard disk). While JFS, even with its best partner deadline elevator, the speed was below 140MB/s.

I still didn't verify the file integrity yet. But according to the information here, the issue was fixed back in Feb. 2010. The mainline kernel including the fix should be 2.6.34. But for MIPS architecture, it was finally fixed in 3.2.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 am 

Good to know, if I ever manage to upgrade my ageing lspro, still running the original version of freelink based on etch with kernel 2.6.12.6-arm1, though I might as well replace it with something else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 am 

Well bad news follows: I just tried to check file integrity, and found that one of the directory was messed up during file copy (I copied 1.4T data last night). When I enter into that directory, and issue "ls" command, it reports "ls: reading directory .: Structure needs cleaning".

OK, so forget about XFS. I need to check online if anyone else had the same problem after kernel 2.6.34.