Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 50  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

it _should_ work ... I just built it natively last week and it was fine... I'll try it again in a few days and document my steps... right now I don't see anything obvious you are leaving out... but ...

Code:
Linux LS-GL 2.6.26 #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 29 21:17:59 CDT 2008 armv5tel GNU/Linux
seems to be working fine for me ...

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm 
Total Newbie

grb wrote:
davy_gravy wrote:
MoonDog wrote:

3. I have had other problems which I think were also related to Samba but am unsure if after messing around with smb.conf the problem has been solved or not. The problem was that after a while (even without transfering files) the machine would simply hang, all LEDs would be off and a continuous beep could be heard untill the power button was pressed. On both cases where this happened the file system in which I have my samba shares could not automatically be mounted and needed to be fixed by jfs_fsck (it's a JFS partition). I have Samba currently disabled to see if I run into any problems without it loaded. Hopefully after I start using Samba again the problem will be solved.

3. Again, this is lb_worm's image, so I dont' know but if you look at dmesg you may see something. could this be a setting needing changed for micro_evtd? maybe ...

check /etc/defaults for the micro_evtd settings... ( I kept wondering why it turned off at 7:30pm each night when left building kernels... )

grb, that is not my problem. Although I did also run into the machine rebooting because of micro_evtd settings. This reboot was a 'clean' one as opposed to my system halting and having a continous beep. For micro_evtd I guess it would be interesting to note that it actually seems to go by the time of the system, not the user's time or UTC (as I was led to believe by something I read on how to set it up). Since I had changed my system's timezone I witnessed the machine reboot by itself twice in a few hours. That was due to the system reaching 7:30pm on the previous timezone and then on the new one a couple of hours later.

Going back to my problem. I'm trying to identify it better. I bought a refurbished unit and am starting to believe that it might still have some problem. I'll update my status if I come to the conclusion that the unit itself is not to blame.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am 
Site Admin

0.3.1b available now ... all issues fixed and a new 2.6.26 kernel + 653 modules...

you may have to tweak your samba settings again but several users have reported good/acceptable speeds ...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 am 

Just for the records, there are ongoing discussions on the debian arm kernel list concerning a Linkstation Pro/KuroPro kernel package. Maybe we should bring ourselves in instead of developing in parallel ;).

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Debian-kern ... 76838.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:03 am 

davy_gravy wrote:
it _should_ work ... I just built it natively last week and it was fine... I'll try it again in a few days and document my steps... right now I don't see anything obvious you are leaving out... but ...

Code:
Linux LS-GL 2.6.26 #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 29 21:17:59 CDT 2008 armv5tel GNU/Linux
seems to be working fine for me ...

one last go, building your config for 2.6.26 on my stable 2.6.16 LS live V1... copied across the kernel & modules - and it booted - yey! Differences are GCC 4.1.2 vs 4.31 and the mkimage binary is different... ?

grb.

(had a similar problem building kernels for a WD mybook - needed to build with GCC3 rather than 4 to avoid panic at boot time)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

stjopa wrote:
Just for the records, there are ongoing discussions on the debian arm kernel list concerning a Linkstation Pro/KuroPro kernel package. Maybe we should bring ourselves in instead of developing in parallel ;).

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Debian-kern ... 76838.html

I think most of us here do support it - we'll have to see how this particular question pans out. The folks in the thread you mention look like they are intent on addressing some of the gaps - that's great. Certainly it will be interesting to all of us to see how things look for armel in general, and the arm LS/Kuropro in particular, when Debian 5.0 is rolled out in Sept (or... whenever).

Do you mean by "parallel", the kernel or image ... or both? For the kernel, what I have configured now is pretty much Debian minus the useless PCI stuff plus some other things, plus in-kernel support for any physically present hardware on the LSPro. Debian tends to modulize a lot more of that type of thing... making, for instance, booting from USB (like you did) with their kernel more difficult.

Are you hinting we should ask them to adjust the kernel config? :)

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 pm 

davy_gravy wrote:

Been on a vacation a few weeks weeks and you have been busy compiling new kernerls for all of us - appreciate it :-)

Will recompile for my TS Pro running Lenny - will assume it's "just" a matter of taking your config files and change the machine type accordingly and compile ?

I can see that you have a 2.6.26-update_full_debian.tgz as well - is this a better starting base?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

gnyf wrote:
davy_gravy wrote:

Been on a vacation a few weeks weeks and you have been busy compiling new kernerls for all of us - appreciate it :-)

Will recompile for my TS Pro running Lenny - will assume it's "just" a matter of taking your config files and change the machine type accordingly and compile ?

I can see that you have a 2.6.26-update_full_debian.tgz as well - is this a better starting base?

I've never compiled for the TSPro... I don't know about any board differences as well... as long as you have serial access recover from a bad kernel is not too difficult. Just don't overwrite your old kernel - you can symlink to it.

BTW, what distro are you using? These kernels are EABI, not OABI.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:25 pm 

It was quite easy to compile for the TS from your config file.
Does the uImage still needs to be below 2 megs in size in order to boot? (got 2,4meg!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:09 pm 

I augmented the Buffalo ARM9 Kernel Port wiki page with LS Pro Duo and LS Mini.

Being that I'm still very new to this, could someone take a look and make sure I didn't make a mistake?

TIA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:13 pm 

davy_gravy wrote:
0.3.1b available now ... all issues fixed and a new 2.6.26 kernel + 653 modules...

you may have to tweak your samba settings again but several users have reported good/acceptable speeds ...

Hi davy_gravy,

Does the kernel compiled in this image is OK for kurobox pro ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

hi tahitibub - it will work w/ KuroPro but does not have the support for NAND.

I may decided to try including NAND support in the builds I am making, so that both the LSPro and KuroPro would have one single kernel package...

I will be out for the next week on a bit of vacation, but will look into this ASAP. Hopefully the mainline Lenny kernel will address this problem adequately...

stjopa had asked about this too ... and I will pass it along to a few people who are working on on kernel support in Lenny for the *Pro's.

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:26 pm 

davy_gravy wrote:
gnyf wrote:
davy_gravy wrote:

I've never compiled for the TSPro... I don't know about any board differences as well... as long as you have serial access recover from a bad kernel is not too difficult.

Have natively recompiled the 2.6.26 on my TS Pro. config based on above but have enabled md support as build in as my rootfs is on md1.
Compiles fine but when booting I get to the point of uncompressing kernel. after this my TS just hangs!

I have plenty of space on /boot

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm guessing you used mkimage at the end to make it UBoot ready?

Does any message appear when booting ... via serial cable or netconsole?

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 pm 

Yes sorry I forgot to mention I used the .uImage.cmd script to generate the uImage file.
I have not used any devio command etc as I see that native TS pro is included in your config.
Did you do anything besides a simple make command?

The boot sequence is (far) to normal until uncompressing and boot kernel where my system hangs. I'm using serial

I've seen the earlydebug patch but it would not compile :-(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 50  Next