Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:08 pm 

in the instructions to build the 2.6.24 kernel, it says use
the given config file.

That has
Quote:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/home/bb3081/project/kernel/foonas-em/rootfs"

which doesnt seem to be available.
Should this just be blanked out?
(which is what I have done)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:39 pm 
Developer

duncan_h wrote:
in the instructions to build the 2.6.24 kernel, it says use
the given config file.

That has
Quote:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="/home/bb3081/project/kernel/foonas-em/rootfs"

which doesnt seem to be available.
Should this just be blanked out?
(which is what I have done)

Yeah just set it to CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="", you only need to give it a directory if you want to include a initial ramfs (such as foonas-em) in the kernel build.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:59 pm 

The instructions say
Quote:
* Patch the kernel with this patch (needed to work with the u-boot version in the Kurobox Pro / Linkstation Pro) :

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Users/ ... type.patch

but ...

I had to reverse this patch to get uImage to be made, so
I suppose this is also obsolete now?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:06 am 

Quote:
CC arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.o
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'BuffaloInitUart':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: for each function it appears in.)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'BuffaloMiconInput':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:54: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'MiconPortWrite':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:96: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.o] Error 1

Sylver's micon.patch (and micon2.patch) dont seem to be valid in the current kernel. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 am 
Developer

Not sure about micon/micon2.patch but you (almost) definitely need http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/Users/bbradley/orion-kernel/kuroboxpro_lspro/force_mach-type.patch because your bootloader will have the wrong mach-type. Check you have the devio command on your system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:31 am 

@bbradley
Quote:
arg:console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=0x00800040,15M panic=5 BOOTVER=1.10
Uncompressing Linux...............................................................................................

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x0000020e).

Available machine support:

ID (hex) NAME
0000054e Marvell Orion-2 Development Board
000005e4 Marvell Orion-NAS Reference Design
000005e5 Buffalo/Revogear Kurobox Pro

Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.

I guess this is the symptom!
(wrong mach type)

I'll get devio installed...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am 
Developer

duncan_h wrote:
Quote:
CC arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.o
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'BuffaloInitUart':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:34: error: for each function it appears in.)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'BuffaloMiconInput':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:54: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c: In function 'MiconPortWrite':
arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.c:96: error: 'UART1_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/mach-orion/buffalo_micon.o] Error 1

Sylver's micon.patch (and micon2.patch) dont seem to be valid in the current kernel. Or am I missing something?

micon2.patch is a try to make things properly, but should not be used yet ... the micon.patch did work with -git kernels, I will check what's wrong ASAP and tell you ;)
Sylver
ps : for the force_mach-type patch to work, you have to install devio on the compilation host ("apt-get install devio" on debian machines ;))

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:51 am 
Total Newbie

Hi, nice to see some development going on armel debian port. I'd like to give some advice to get orion/linkstation stuff integrated to Debian.

Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
First of all you will need a serial cable to do this.
Fetch mkimage from:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/LSPro_ARM9/DevelopmentTools/CrossToolchains/mkimage

The ramdisk must be converted to a u-boot image:
Code:
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x0 -e 0x0 -n initrd -d ramdisk.gz initrd.buffalo

Where does this too come from? u-boot sources? This needs to be packaged (preferred) or included in the debian-installer.
Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:

Warning: these mirror unstable, so they can be broken on any given day. We are working on getting testing available.
Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
I couldn't set the time correctly.

Does the platform have working rtc driver?
Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
Missing:
Watchdog support. Reboot and shutdown doesn't work.

This probably needs packaging or avr_evtd? I can sponsor the package if someone has one ready. If there is many different utilities needed for linkstatsion, it might be easier to wrap them all in linkstation-utils package (see nslu2-utils for example).
Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
I need a link to the new MICON-driver.
kernel + modules should be put into a Debian package and put on a repository on the net.
A packed version of the Miconv2 driver should be there as well.

Why be satisfied on a "repository on the net" when you could have it inside debian.org ;) likewise on MICON, it should be pushed to mainline rather than take the maintainence burden of a external image. It appears most of orion/kuro/linkstation support is already in mainline kernel? then just the list of git commits needed (+ any external patches needed). Then we create another kernel config in linux-2.6 package, similar to the current -iop23x, -versatile and -ix4xx variants currently.
Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
A method to do this safely without the need for a serial cable would make Debian available on the Linkstaion Pro/Live for more people.

I presume we need to create initrd images that look like what freelink does? I didn't find freelink initrd sources on a quick glance.

See:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i/trunk ... iew=markup

for example what is done to create thecus images it's web interface accepts. Also for the devio for kernel and initrd installation, look at the flash-kernel package.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

suihkulokki wrote:
Hi, nice to see some development going on armel debian port. I'd like to give some advice to get orion/linkstation stuff integrated to Debian.

Andreas Bach Aaen wrote:
First of all you will need a serial cable to do this.
Fetch mkimage from:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download/LSPro_ARM9/DevelopmentTools/CrossToolchains/mkimage

The ramdisk must be converted to a u-boot image:
Code:
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x0 -e 0x0 -n initrd -d ramdisk.gz initrd.buffalo

Where does this too come from? u-boot sources? This needs to be packaged (preferred) or included in the debian-installer.

yes, its compiled from the uboot sources. we did that with the codesourcery toolchain

suihkulokki wrote:
I presume we need to create initrd images that look like what freelink does? I didn't find freelink initrd sources on a quick glance.

See:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i/trunk ... iew=markup

for example what is done to create thecus images it's web interface accepts. Also for the devio for kernel and initrd installation, look at the flash-kernel package.

the linkstations/terastations do not have the option to update over the webinterface. they use a seperate application to transfer the initrd/hddrootfs to a custom server application running on the linkstations/terastations. they zip it and protect the initrd + the rootfs with a password. fortunately we already know the passwords.
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... _passwords

thats how it is done (for all arm9-linkstations/terastations):
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... o.2FLSLive

regarding the initrd:
the initrd only needs to be unzipped with the password and afterwards the initrd.buffalo can be mounted like any other initrd...like described in http://nas-central.org/index.php/How_to ... aka_initrd

allowing installation via a simple firmware update would be the best option because then the debian rootfs automatically would be up2date as it most likely would debootstrap the normal debian way.....a problem which we always suffer whenever creating a new firmware image. i also agree that if it would be possible that we should try to get some util-packages into debian....avr_evtd / micro_evtd coded by lb_worm are most important things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 pm 

./,./,./...........

Last edited by dbmoodb on Mon May 25, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yes you can debootstrap from an existing Debian install. For armel just do this:

debootstrap --verbose --arch armel --foreign sid /armel-chroot http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian
chroot /armel-chroot /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage

This will create a armel-chroot directory with the necessary packages for the install. Is this what you were after? This is how I updated mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:44 am 

/............,............

Last edited by dbmoodb on Mon May 25, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:31 pm 
Betatester

On my setup I now with success use micro_evtd, so the LEDs are handled nicely, the watchdog doesn't go off, and the fan is regulated based on the temperature.
This ought to be put into a Debian package.

As initrd I now use yaird, that is a generic initrd that already is present in armel sid Debian. Of cause the initrd made by yaird needs to be packed with mkimage after it's own processing.
mkimage needs to be put into a debian package too.

When a stable linkstation/kurobox kernel is available, a Debian package should be made for this too. It should be made such that an upgrade of the kernel will lead to a newly generated initrd including packaging with mkimage.

Regarding installation without a cable, it would be nice if debian installer could be changed to run over a net-console instead of over the serial console. Just installing a rootfs that you can upgrade isn't as good, as running everything from a ramdisk and be given the posibility to partition the harddisk as you like.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Just installing a rootfs that you can upgrade isn't as good, as running everything from a ramdisk and be given the posibility to partition the harddisk as you like.

or from flash like the kuropro.

how big is the armel rootfs after bootstrapping?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:52 pm 
Betatester

mindbender wrote:
Quote:
how big is the armel rootfs after bootstrapping?

I did not check, I just started to install lots of stuff, so I could start to compile my mythtv backend.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next