Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 pm 

Hi all,

hopefully some of the main contributors to this thread are still reading this...
Yesterday in installed the latest lenny image and kernel from davy_gravy (thanks!) succesfully. After power cycling everything came up nice and shiny.
After installation, I configured my network, created mount points for my extra partitions and did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

All went fine.

Then I powered it down, and powered it up again. Now the led indicator for booting kept on blinking, so it could not finish the boot process apparently.
I made several attempts, always the same result. After a couple of minutes, a beeping sound could be heared, and the red error led started blinking. 4 times, than a short pause. This means there are problems with the fan, and indeed, the fan is not working...

When i sniff the network, I see the kernel booting output passing by. In it, i can see that the root fs is mounted, that is about the end of the logging.

Now i wonder: Is it because the boot process is not continuing that the fan is not running after 5 minutes? Or is it because the fan is not working that booting also fails?

My first guess (to be verified tomorrow) would be that the apt-get upgrade installed an initrd which is not valid or something. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Luksedj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 pm 

To come back on this myself. I went through the whole process of installing the image again, and I am down to two possible reasons for the failure.

One might be an error in my /etf/fstab
The other might be that i tried to install rrdtool (apt-get install rrdtool).

Those where the two changes (not sure about the first) that were applied after the last successful boot. I will investigate furhter when I have switched the drive back into my desktop to modify those things.

In order not to require this dissassembly over and over again, is there a way to boot from a usb drive e.g? Currently the normal boot process is working up to a certain point, so i cannot reboot three times in order to get into EM, nor can i do a tftpboot...

suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm 

luksedj, I safe-upgraded my Squeeze-based NAS yesterday, and now I'm having the same problems as you (ie, no longer rebooting, kernel output, starts beeping after a couple of minutes, no fan). I've got it hooked up to my desktop and I'm having a poke around in the logs etc.

If I find anything I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:56 am 

luksedj, certainly on my system it looks like I accidentally upgraded to a version of udev that the kernel I'm running doesn't support.

Consequently none of the devices are populated properly, the hard-drive included. This is why the boot-up stalls.

I commented out everything in fstab except for the root mount /. (don't actually need /boot mounted).

Obviously this means I don't have access to any of my files at the moment. Going to attempt to downgrade udev. Will let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:10 pm 

I found the problem. It started when i accidentally put an xfs mount in the /etc/fstab. Once that was removed, all was back to normal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:07 pm 

Gagh. Yeah I think this is a udev issue.

Does anyone have a .deb of udev 148 in their atp cache?