Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:23 pm 

It's been a long time since I did any hacking on my linkstation (an old LSPro-250GL V1), but I decided the time has come for a larger HD and a new kernel (I was using good old FreeLink_arm9-1.0rev2, but that's a bit long in the tooth now!)

So, I've been trying to follow the instructions in this post (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5736&p=72241), and think I am almost there, but seem to be a bit stuck at the moment... hopefully someone can help me out!

I've partitioned the new HD OK, extracted armel-lenny-for-lspro-dgv0.3.2.tgz into the right places (I believe), got my TFTP server to send out uImage_em_lspro_sda1kernel_sda2rootfs-setup when requested by the poor linkstation, and can telnet into my box and run footboot -h

The output seems OK, if slightly different from that in the linked thread - instead of
Code:
bootcmd=ide reset; ext2load ide 1:1 0x00100000 /uImage; setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 rw ; bootm 0x00100000

I get
Code:
bootcmd=ide reset; ext2load ide 1:1 0x00100000 /uImage; setenv bootargs netconsole=6666@192.168.11.150/,@192.168.11.149/ root=/dev/sda2 rw ; bootm 0x00100000

However, if I then reboot the box, it just beeps a few times and then sucks down the uImage.buffalo/initrd.buffalo files again, before eventually getting to the stage where I can telnet into it again. ssh doesn't seem to be listening

Can anyone see what I'm missing? Am happy to provide more diagnostic info if that's needed...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:29 am 
Site Admin

FWIW, if you just cut and paste every single instruction, it should work.
AFAIK, no changes/edits are needed whatsoever ... I haven't installed in about a year (since my installation is stable and works fine), but last time I tried the instructions word-for-word, it did work.

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:46 pm 

OK, got it working now, following on from davy_gravy's advice. I thought I'd followed the instructions pretty well, but...

In case it help anyone else to know, the problem seems to be (for whatever reason) that formatting the partitions has to be done via the foonas interface (ie after the linkstation has taken the modified uimage); if the linkstation HD was connected to another computer and I formatted them there, before putting it back into the LS, then for some reason the uimage TFTP booting doesn't take.

Weird, but at least it's all working now :)

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:42 am 
Site Admin

glad to hear it is solved for you ... :)

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'