Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello all,

I am reading and trying now for 3 days without success building a kernel und that the LSProV 2 starts.

I have the latest freelink installed. Currently there is kernel 2.6.12.

I am able to take the stock kernel source and build and run my LS with this documentation:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/How ... tom_Kernel

But then I still have not a kernel higher the 2.6.19 and thats what I want to. I hope spinning down the disk will work then.
I also nneed iptables.

So I went to this documentation:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Buf ... ernel_Port

And did the Compilation & Installation Instructions at the end of the document

The kernel and the modules compiled. So I copied the uImage to /boot/uImage.buffalo and the libs to /lib/modules

When I then reboot the Box I do not get a ping. The Box does not start again. After some time it permantly beeps.

I cannot get into EM mode. So I attached the disk to my workstation, and copied the original uImage agein. The box starts then...

I also downloaded the kernel 2.6.26 from ftp://ftp.dmik.org/pub/common/buffalo/lspro/davy_gravy/

But this dows not work either.

I converted all my partitions to ext3 btw...

Can somebody help me in this issue?

Many Thx
Saibot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:20 pm 

If you have not installed a kernel successfully before, try replacing your 2.6.12 kernel with the
2.6.16.57-lsp_eabi-dh_v4 kernel. This is a very reliable kernel that works both with freelink (debian-arm)
and debian lenny (armel), and is a rebuild of buffalo gpl sources with lots of added modules.

That way you will at least get practice in kernel replacement, before trying your own build of a newer
kernel.

ftp://ftp.dmik.org/pub/common/buffalo/lspro/duncan_h/kernel-2.6.16.57-lsp_eabi-dh_v4.tar.gz

(edit) I see you rebuilt the stock kernel, so I guess you are doing kernel-replacement things right?
The 2.6.16.57-lsp_eabi-dh_v4 kernel provides iptables, but you need to be running debian lenny armel (an eabi) distribution, not a
legacy (oabi) one like freelink to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:31 am 
Total Newbie

Hello and thx for the answer,

I also have a KuroBoxHG for which I often compiled kernels, so I thought this should be mostly the same for my LS.

Where is the difference between oabi and eabi?

Can I just start the box with my freelink and then untar the kernel you advised and run dist-upgrade to get lenny? Changing source.list of course...

Or do I have still then oabi?
How do I install the eabi lenny?

When you mention oabi and eabi I recognized that I obviously use a crosscompiler for eabi (arm-none-linux-gnueabi). Might this be my problem with my own kernel?

More explenation on why I need to compile, because I need:

tun (openvpn)
ipsec
iptables
and usb serial
possibility to spin down the sata hdd, as I read this is possible up to kernel 19, is this correct?

Ist this all in the kernel you advised?

Last: You wrote:
stock kernel, so I guess you are doing kernel-replacement things right

I do not realy know the difference between stock kernel and GPL and what do you mean with kernel-replacement?

All I need is a Kernel for my needs...

Thx
Saibot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 am 

freelink is debian etch (arm) with oabi (old arm binary interface) binaries.

the buffalo kernels are either 2.6.12 or 2.6.16 eabi kernels that can also run legacy
oabi binaries, so they are compatible with freelink. The 2.6.16.57-lsp_eabi-dh_v4 kernel
is a kernel rebuilt from buffalo sources (plus patches) with many more modules, etc.
Its good with freelink (but some things like iptables wont work with freelink because it's oabi.
It can also work fine with a debian-lenny armel (eabi) distribution (iptables will work)
(but needs an older version of udev that was available on lenny while it was being developed).

There are no buffalo kernel sources for Linkstation Pro/Live later than 2.6.16. For recent kernels,
you need to wipe your system clean (or use a new clean SATA drive) and install a lenny-based armel
root filesystem, and a recent 2.6.2x kernel. This is rather complicated until someone
posts a complete recipe and pre-packaged images for this.

One bit of advice: Don't mess with the u-boot bootloader unless you know what you are doing.
Any other changes can be easily reversed by re-imaging the hard disk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:59 pm 
Total Newbie

Hello again,

I now installed lenny armel http://buffalo.nas-central.org/download ... 0.3.1b.tgz and the kernel kernel-2.6.16.57-lsp_eabi-dh_v4.tar.gz

This works!!!

Can I now do one of the following?

Compile the sources by doing
svn co http://linkstationwiki.svn.sourceforge. ... ux-2.6.22/
described here:
Thread viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3633
Kernel 2.6.22 for arm9 boxes ready for test

2. Compile Stockkernel ftom this site:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Buf ... ernel_Port

3. Get the sources for your kernel (config and patch did I see at the download site)?

I need to compile for ipsec and hdd spin down!!!

Can you also please explain the differences between:

arm - armel

oabi - eabi and when to use whih one

stock kernel - vanilla kernel - GPL kernel - kernel I can checkout as described above

I guess I also need a new initrd. How do I make this?

Can I set uboot settings also with nvram or do I have to use a serial cable? I am disabled and can not treat with HW very well...

I am so sorry to ask all this things, but I want to know myself...

Thx for all
Saibot