Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: FTP problems
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:33 am 

I've had a search around and not seen anything to do with the built in FTP server, which surprises me as I'm having problems with it. In my internal LAN it all works fine, but as soon as I try to use it from the outside world I cannot get a directory listing. Now I know as LITTLE about active / passive connections and have opened up both port 20 and 21 on my router (firewall disabled) and cannot connect via either method. Using active, the FTP server recognises that it is being asked to serve back on a different IP so I get "PORT 192,168,10,48,221,211" and the resulting "500 Illegal PORT command".

But if I try to go passive then I get "227 Entering Passive Mode (10,114,xx,xxx,11,65), [11:02:42] Opening data connection to 10.114.xx.xxx Port: 2881, and a message saying "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection fail". Now that 10 series IP address is my internal external IP address. Living in Cyprus I cannot get a direct external IP, but it is mapped over by my ISP, they do say that all ports are transparently mapped, but this is where is seems to be failing. Can anyone suggest a way around this or is there a better FTP server I can add to my box. It is telnet enabled, but my Linux knowledge is limited so some sort of self install package would be good ;)

Thanks,
Gareth

Post subject: Re: FTP problems
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Total Newbie

What's a good program to do automatic online backups to your own FTP server? I have my own FTP server with about 10 GBs of storage. I need a program that will automatically backup certain files to my server. Any suggestions, I'm looking for free.