Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:36 am 

The fact that the system came up in EM mode for you is a bit worrying as it tends to indicate a problem with one of the system files or libraries on the hard disk. Note that using the "shutdown -h now" command from a telnet session is just in effect what the GUI or using the Power button issues it is no more likely to cause a problem than shutting down other ways.

To allow me to investigate the issue can you please confirm exactly what packages you had installed so I can see if I can recreate the issue? For instance some packages might have been done via the larger OpenTera package and others manually? It is always possible that something in the OpenTera package caused an issue and it is nothing to do with uShare itself. Also did you install any development packages - and if so was that before or after any other packages?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 am 

HI Itimpi

PCast, Twonky and Ushare are the only package that I had installed into my Tera. in order to installed Ushare I had installed ffmpeg, libdlna and libupnp package as pre-required by Ushare.

after discovered the problem, I had flash the system with the telnet enable firmware twice, and only reinstall ffmpeg, libdlna, libupnp and ushare only. I think that by flashing the system with the firmware, PCast and Twonky already delete out of the system.

I hope that I had answer your!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm 

OK - I think I have managed to reproduce the problem although I am not sure why it has happened.

What appear to have somehow happened is that the ushare install has somehow removed all the startup/shutdown scripts that were there instead of (as it is meant to) adding its own in addition to those already there. That would explain why the system would not shutdown or start-up properly.

What I recommend is flashing the sytsem back to a clean state (if you have not already done that) and do not install the current ushare package. You could run the flashing program in "debug" mode and unselect the options to update the KERNEL or BOOT area - just leaving the HDD option selected. This will rewrite the hard disk files without touching the flash area which reduces the chance of a flash problem occurring.

I have removed the current package from the download site. When I can work out why the install has done what it did I will upload a fixed one. The strange thing is that not all of my systems with ushare isntalled seem to be affected.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 am 

Hi Itimpi,

I had done what you recommanded, my system is now back to normal (bootup and shutdown normally).

for the time been, I have to use Twonky and waiting for the Ushare to be fix.

thanks for your time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm 

In case you have not noticed it I have uploaded a fixed uShare package.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:17 am 

Hi itimpi

the link is broken, I can not download an fixed version of Ushare

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm 

Hi itimpi

I don't know how you did it, but you had done it again, :up: ushare is now working perfectly, my terastation behave normally when it come to shuting down.

By away, I am recommand ushare to very body out there who want to install media server to their Tera, because it free, it stable and very simple to use. (Twonky..., I found it very unstable as it keep dropping out at any time and you have to pay for un-support product)

thanks alot for your time and effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:33 am 

I need help guys, I'm pretty new to linux and some of the guides on wiki and elsewhere just seem to muddle me up.

I've managed to install OpenTera firmware for my TSPro, version 1.04 firmware. So now have telnet + root.
I then installed the opentera package which includes ushare.

On installation, I installed it to /mnt/array1/opentera/OpenTera_v4

All worked OK apart from PCast, which I am not bothered about, and Ushare.
I've since installed ushare v8 and that went OK.

I now don't know what the next step is. Itimpi sent me a PM to advise that I need to edit a ushare.con file, but I've got no idea where it is located, or even HOW I am supposed to do it.

Could anyone please help guide me on this part?

Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 pm 

OK finally worked it out myself - just thought I'd post here in case anyone else is having trouble with BASIC linux stuff lol

The way I did it is typed in these commands

cd /etc
cat > ushare.config
# /etc/ushare.conf
# Edit this file with 'dpkg-reconfigure ushare'
# Configuration file for uShare

# uShare UPnP Friendly Name (default is 'uShare').
USHARE_NAME=uShare

# Interface to listen to (default is eth0).
# Ex : USHARE_IFACE=eth1
USHARE_IFACE=eth0

# Port to listen to (default is random from IANA Dynamic Ports range)
# Ex : USHARE_PORT=49200
USHARE_PORT=49200

# Port to listen for Telnet connections
# Ex : USHARE_TELNET_PORT=1337
USHARE_TELNET_PORT=

# Directories to be shared (space or CSV list).
# Ex: USHARE_DIR=/dir1,/dir2
USHARE_DIR=/data

# Use to override what happens when iconv fails to parse a file name.
# The default uShare behaviour is to not add the entry in the media list
# This option overrides that behaviour and adds the non-iconv'ed string into
# the media list, with the assumption that the renderer will be able to
# handle it. Devices like Noxon 2 have no problem with strings being passed
# as is. (Umlauts for all!)
#
# Options are TRUE/YES/1 for override and anything else for default behaviour
USHARE_OVERRIDE_ICONV_ERR=

# Enable Web interface (yes/no)
ENABLE_WEB=yes

# Enable Telnet control interface (yes/no)
ENABLE_TELNET=no

# Use XboX 360 compatibility mode (yes/no)
USHARE_ENABLE_XBOX=yes

# Use DLNA profile (yes/no)
# This is needed for PlayStation3 to work (among other devices)
ENABLE_DLNA=yes

>>>>>> THEN PRESS CONTROL + D to save the file
Now type /etc/init.d/ushare start

So I finally got there after 3 days of pulling my hair out.

I now have a working media server on my TS Pro and need to buy a hair piece for my slaphead :biglol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 am 

I have read and I have read and I have read. I've read this entire thread and am having no success. So, I've registered and here I am.

I can't figure out how to get started. I tried downloading and installing http://downloads.nas-central.org/Users/ ... o_104e.zip as my first step and cannot get it to find the device. My TS is active and on the network. I can ping it. I can access it's shares. I can access it's web console. Even the NAS Navigator sees it. But trying to run that update tells me it cannot find the device needing updates.

Can someone point me in the right direction just to get started?

My goal here, by the way, is to simply have uShare running on my TS so that my DLNA BluRay player will read whatever I stick on the TS.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 am 

If the updater does not see the device, then it normally means that you have the wrong firmware for the device you are trying to upgade. What is the actual Model number of your TeraStation?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm 

Interestingly, my model number is not one I can find on Buffalo's site.

It is a TS-H0.0TGL/R5.

I do believe I have a different firmware on the unit now, but it's still a Terastation Pro firmware.

Right now it shows in the NASNavigator as TS-HTGLA1F.

Can I fool the updater?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:36 pm 

I made just a hair of progress here.

Since my unit is a TS-H0.0TGL/R5, I grabbed the closest thing I could find to a firmware match on Buffalo's site. Firmware for TS-H1.0TGL/R5. It wouldn't work, either.
Looking at the updater INI, I saw it was looking for device type 0x2002. The firmware updater which did work was looking for device type 0x00002005. So I plugged 0x00002005 into the stock updater for TS-H0.0TGL/R5. It now finds the device, but tells me the firmware isn't the right version.

Using your updater with 0x00002005 plugged in to the INI, I get the same message:

"The firmware that tries to be updated is the one of a product different from Terastation. Updating is aborted."

EDIT:

I found this: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... om_scratch

Could I force-feed my TS a firmware via TFTP? Or am I just looking to brick my box here?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm 

More progress. It turns out I apparently have a Terastation 2. There is another model number on the unit. TS-H4.0TGL/R5.

Stay tuned...

EDIT: CRAP. Just read about the Arm CPU vs the PPC.

Well, now I guess I'm screwed.