TERASTATION DATA RECOVERY
By Tony Jimenez,
Based on everything read in this thread
Having trouble with:
* Degrade Mode ?
* EM (Emergency Mode) Bootup ?
* Unreadable Partitions ?
* E14: Cannot mount RAID Array1
Read onLong story short
In my experience the acquisition of a PPC Mac, SATA to USB adapters and USB Hub is totally unnecessary (Thus so far)
fortunately I was hard headed enough to continue searching until I found this thread which offers a much easier method of regaining access to your data, as the information is a little "scattered" I promised myself if I was successful I would create a little write-up detailing every step.THE ADVENTURE BEGINSIf you just want to fix the stupid thing skip to "THE SOLUTION"
After several power outages (in which my Stupid Battery Backup failed), I found myself with a Terastation in DEGRADE mode with inaccessible data, it also reported DRIVE 2 as inaccessible, after I pulled drive two and verified it was banging and clicking and was indeed damaged, I attempted to access my data through the Terastation without the drive (Isn't that what RAID 5 is supposed to be all about?)
Anyways I could see the shared folder on the Terastation but when attempting to access it got an error, Arg..., In frustration I set to RMAing the defective hard drive (expedited service) swearing Loyalty to Western Digital and vowing to give them my first born child.
3 Days later I received the replacement drive (which reminds me I should probably send the old one back before they send their "hit men" to get me) plugged it in and turned on the unit only to find the unit will now only boot in "EMERGENCY MODE".Stupid &^!@!&!^#$~~~!!!!!
OK so... I VPN into my office and download my copy of the Terastation pro firmware which I always keem handy precisely for these ocassions, I reflash the box and reboot, it now boots correctly and reports no errors on the drive but still complains about being in "Degrade Mode" and data is still inaccesible......
I log into the Web Interface and tell the array to rebuild with my new drive (As I cross all fingers and toes).
I (not so patiently) await 24 hours for the raid to rebuild itself (which it claims it did succesfully), upon rebooting however I am still greeted with the (E14: Cannot mount RAID Array1) message.
I desperatelly fight the urge to smash the thing against a concrete wall.
Deep breath .... 1, Deep breath 2 ...............
Ok so I set off to search the web for a solution to the problem, most everyone is sugesting I use a PPC Mac, SATA to USB adapters, USB Hub and a recent copy of Unbuntu
Through much meditation and patience I eventually arrive to THIS thread, Which semingly appears to offer a rather easy & straightforward solution (I HOPE), The information is a tad scattered but I follow through and see what happens, and vow to write a step by step if it actually does work... WHICH IT DID !THE SOLUTIONStandard disclaimer ...
IF you f%&8 up your Terastation don't come crying to me, yada yada yada...
hopefully at this time you are so desperate for a solution you don't care anymore
1. Go get yourself and install a modified version of the firmware to enable Telnet & Root access
(IMPORTANT: GET THE VERSION SPECIFIC TO YOUR TERASTATION MODEL)
DIRECT LINK TO FIRMWARE DOWNLOAD SECTION: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/buf ... ERA_TELNET
2. Drop to a command prompt (from Windows Click on START, RUN, and type CMD)
TELNET into your Terastation and run the following command: xfs_repair /dev/md1
You will see a series of messages as Disk check/repair is in progress, once it has finished you should see a "DONE" message and the command prompt (This will usually take an hour or two depending on the state of your data)
TYPE: EXIT (to exit your telnet session)
3. Press your Terastation's Power button a couple of seconds until you see the message stating "Shutting Down"
Press your Terastation's Power button one more time and allow it to boot back up (Hopefully this time it WILL Mount correctly)
Attempt to access your Terastation's Shared folder through your network, at the very least you should now be able to successfully access the share
If you now have access to your data ... Voila ! We are done, otherwise proceed to step 4
4. Drop to a command prompt (from Windows Click on START, RUN, and type CMD)
TELNET into your Terastation and switch over to following folder: /mnt/array1/lost+found
use the "MV" Command to move all your data back to its rightful location as per the chart below
All data should be instantly relocated to the specified location and you should now be able to access it through your network.
One last note:
Root folders and files should now have messed up names, you need to identify them and rename them correctly (small price to pay in my opinion)