Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:44 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Folks,
I have had quite the week with my Terastation Pro 2.0TB. The machine crashed on Friday and went into EM mode. I contacted the tech support and they advised me to reflash my firmware, which I did. Now the Terastation no longer boots into EM mode (I can access the web interface) but after it says the Kernel is loading it gives an Error E14: Cannot mount RAID Array1. It automatically did a RAID scan and gave no errors other then that. I have done a lot of reading on these forums but can't find anything specific to this problem. Buffalo shipped me a new system as they felt it was an issue with the logic board. I took the drives from the new Terastation and popped them into the old shell to see what would happen and voila! the array mounted. My next step is going to be to put my data drives in the new box (I have to wait until the imaging is finished!) but judging by the fact that the new drives worked fine in the old box I'm not so confident that this will work. I have data on the drives that I really need to recover and fast unfortunately. I am currently imaging the data partition on all four drives just in case something completely screwy happens. I was thinking about taking the four images and restoring them to the data partitions on the new drives if the new box doesn't mount the old drives. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:25 pm 

What you could try is imaging the first (and comapritivel small) partition on each disk which is the system partition and then restoring them to the bad set. That leaves your data on the 3rd partition untouched, and if the problem is due to the system partition may well recover everything to a clean state.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Admin

this idea is good....your box may reboot into the normal state that way....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:52 am 
Total Newbie

Any updates on this issue? I'm having the same issue of the array not mounting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

another way would be to connect all the hdds to a powerpc-mac at once and boot from an ubuntu live cd. it should be able to at mount the raid array if it is still ok.

but who has a mac with 4 ide-ports + one for a cd/dvd drive available?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:57 am 
Total Newbie

I'll tell you I'm pretty fed up with this thing. We've had to babtsit it ever since we received it. It started out giving us read/write errors. Moved on to corrupting files. Now, finally, array will not mount. I can't think of a worse product that I have ever owned. If I could just get my data back I'd be a happy person :down:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

i believe you. unbelievable what problems these boxes cause...

[url=http://terastation.org/wiki/Data_Recovery:1af15]http://terastation.org/wiki/Data_Recovery[/url:1af15]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi Guys,
A quick update on this issue. I recieved a second box from Buffalo and they told me to put three of the original drives in plus one of the new drives and let it restructure the array. After 9 hours it still could not mount the array. The tech told me that i could hook the drives up to an Intel box and a linux distro and it should be able to read them ok. I didn't have anymore time to jack around with it so I sent all the drives to a data recovery place to see what they could do with it. I have purchased a second Terastation to keep a mirror of the main Terastation and hopefully keep my data secure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 am 
Total Newbie

Hi,
last Friday my TS Pro 2TB (Firmware 1.03) died the same way. First it showed an error, that one of HDs is defect. I tried to resync the RAID5. After 8h the system gave me Error E14: Cannot mount RAID Array1. This is the actual status. Is there a way to get the data (1,5TB) back?
I tried to update the firmware but the system denied it because there is not enaugh space to do so.

Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:14 pm 
Total Newbie

Hi folks!
A week ago my TS pro came up with exactly the same problem, E14
After long searches I couldn'd find anything that would help me. Buffalo Helpdesk said to update my Firmware, I tried so but the Update said "Not enough space". If that wouldn't work I should send them my TS to repair.
But my problem is the data on the TS.

Is there a way to get my data back (without a PPC computer)???

Hope you can help!
Thank you!