Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 am 

I believe the samba 3 (AD version) integration with the non-AD firmware found here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/itimpi/telnet.htm is broken.

Adding users through the TeraStation's web interface doesn't add these to samba 3, you have to use smbpasswd to add these users yourself to the samba database, the web interface only adds them to smb.conf file.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:14 am 

It might well be! In theory the web interface tries to call smbpasswd, but it sounds as though that is failing for some reason.

I no longer have easy access to an AD based system for testing, so it is not practical for me to find and/or fix any such errors. Also, the AD version is now very old and based on a superseded version of Samba. I have not even been successful in trying to build an AD based version of later Samba versions, let alone test them.

I guess I should post a big warning on that build. The only other practical alternative is remove it altogether - but others HAVE found it useful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:53 am 

I'd say the warning is a good idea, and you can add a blurb about people having to use the smbpasswd command to actually add people to the smb database, as the Buffalo WWW interface only adds the user entries to the smb.conf file, users created before upgrading samba are fine.

However this error doesn't happen on an orginial TeraStation 1... that's the weird part.

PS. Don't remove the software :) I find it very usefull!

PSS. I was able to build the latest Samba 3.5.6 code branch on my TeraStation Pro 1 however I couldn't get it to run... :(