Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:59 am 

terror station at it again ....

as most of you already experienced or are familiar with the E14 Array 1 can be mounted i won't go into a huge explanation on it but basically the rep from buffalo told me the array will cover the failure of the discs but not the failure of the virtual structure of the discs, what the hell :?: , this is precisley why i invested in a nas with a raid 5 setup... the rep played words game with me "the failure may or may not be caused by the nas's software", anyway seems like he knew what was up but didn't want to admit any wrong doing on his company's part.

I did not back up any of my data beyond the NAS and don't have the money to send it off to some data recovery center.

anyway i have read up on the issue and found some very helpful advice... however i'm stuck at step one... i have an old version of the firmware (1.0) and i am unable to telnet into the device to do any of the steps listed.. does anyone know a way around this?

the rep explained that the firmware has to be somehow transfered onto the mounted array... this seems wierd to me, why can't it just flash the firmware straight over the network?

I also tried hooking another drive in via the USB ports, thinking that i could transfer the firmware data there but i am stuck with another error message telling me the drive is disconnected.

Anyway does anyone know a way of flashing the firmware without the raid array intact or for that matter ANY WAY TO RECOVER MY DATA?

Do all NAS use linux based file systems?

thanks guys

-b

ts-1.0tgl/r5 firmware version 1, 4 250gig harddrives

P.S. The site registration is awful, i spent over an hour trying to create an account, that verification box is impossible to read!!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:44 am 

Re-flashing is always done over the network unless you have special hardware to do a JTAG enabled flash. Is the system visible on the network if you run the Buffalo Client utility (or firmware flasher) - the RAID array does not need to be working for this to happen. If so it is probably possible to do re-flash. However depending on the state of your system it is possible that a re-flash might end up re-formatting the disks and losing their data. Reflashing is relatively safe if the system is working fine, but riskier if it already has an error.

How important is the data on it to you? There are articles in the wiki area about recovering data from damaged systems and you may want to look at one of them before deciding how you want to proceed.

Where are you based? I am at Potters Bar in the UK and might be able to help if you are close enough?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:05 pm 

Heh unfortunately I am located in the states, New York.

I have looked through the wiki on the recovery but.. they all require that you flash with the new version of the firmware.

I thought the same thing too but when i try to flash the firmware it says

"Product's disk free space is too small : 0mb
Firmware update is canceled"

using the buffalo TS-TGL updater ver 1.04

I do have access to the GUI via HTTP and i can mess around with the settings, it seems like just the array is damaged, i still don't understand how this happens since redudancy is what raid's are for.

I am willing to work to get my data back however i lack certain technical expertise.

What about this, i take the old harddrives out and replace them with 2 new harddrives.

I format the new harddrives and then i will be able to flash in the new firmware.

Then i take out the new harddrives and put in the old harddrives.

Will it detect the raid structure of the first set (the original harddrives)?

Let me know what you think of my idea.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm 

It sounds as if there is something seriously wrong with the system partition at the very least so that re-flashing is not possible. The problem with RAID is that it only protects you against hardware failure -it does not protect against software failure that damages the file system.

Whether the data partition is intact it is impossible to say. At this point I would say that the only chance of recovering the data is to use one of the methods that involves connecting the drives (at least 3 simultaneously to allow the RAID array to be accessed) to another machine and using something like UFS Explorer to try and recover the data.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 am 

I know i read a few posts with people having the same error and to be clear if you have the old version (1.0) firmware you cannot update the firmware with the E14 error, after having a few sessions with buffalo tech support and trying a few methods there is no way to update it and it probably won't help anyway.

Again i'll just point to this wiki just to get the information out there

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Ter ... a_Recovery

if you have windows you can attempt to recover the software via UFS explorer you just have to hook up all your drives to your computer.

I will be trying this in the next few days once i can get a power adapter for my power supply so i can plug in all the harddrives.

I will let everyone know how i made out, post the results, and NEVER buy a terror station again!

thanks itimpi

-B

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 pm 

Okay so i hooked up all the drives to my computer using a SATA expansion card and the exsisting SATA ports on my mobo.

Booted up UFS

Built the Raid array

The partition was not automatically found so i did a search for it

Once i try and search for the partition i keep getting errors like this

I know the array is in the correct order because luckily Buffalo builds there array the same way the drives are number from top down 1-2-3-4 plus in the hex editor they actually put DISK1 DISK2 ETC... pretty convienant

anyway im thinking maybe the drives are actually corrupted which is wierd though because the NAS did not detect a harddrive failure, unless its just a POS

Does anyone know if there is anyway to determine which harddrive that sector resides on? If i could find that then i could replace the drive and rebuild the array

Or is anyone familiar with UFS enough so that i don't have to keep clicking "yes" to continue the scan after it finds a bad sector, that would be helpful also and maybe it could find the partitions even with the bad sectors and atleast get some data.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:09 am 

Just a thought - as it is a RAID5 array you should be able to get it working with only 3 of the 4 drives hooked up. You therefore might be able to experiment with removing one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

The problem comes when the file system really has got corrupted. Then the fact you had RAID does not help you.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 am 

I was having trouble with disk 4 and it wasn't even detected in the UFS explorer this time. I assumed this was the bad drive and i build the raid without the fourth disc.

no more sectors errors!! it is now looking for the lost partition

my question is...

do i have to rebuild the array somehow onto a new disc (the fourth) before i can locate my files? or will this partition scan be successful?