Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 am 

Hello guys,

This is the first time I post here. I have a linkstaion V2 (MIPsel) and firmware is 2.05 with telnetd enabled.

I compiled the ram-test U-Boot 1.1.4 from LNI's package and use u-boot-loader.sh to ram-test the loading of kernel2.6.22ls2 from par(0:3). After u-boot-loader reset linkstation (init 6?). The power LED starts flashing...

Even I get the response on netconsole soon ("==>") and boot the kernel fine from U-boot. (Can logon LS with ssh and "uname -a" tells me "2.6.22ls2") The power LED didn't stop flashing. After about 4 minutes, I lost the ssh connection and seems system is reboot.

I recompile the kernel with the solution from weini to unset "CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y". And it doesn't help. Still get power LED flashing and system reboot...It happens with ram-test booting original 2.4.20 kernel as well.

Now I am a little bit confused, is this ram-test of U-boot will stop avr_evtd feeding watchdog anymore? (I installed the newest avr_evtd already, it works fine with the stock system by normal booting).

The situation is, I don't want flash the original bootloader with U-boot since I don't want lose the warranty, but still want use kernel 2.6.22ls2 by ram-load of U-boot (uloader.o) without rebooting so fast. :P

I checked in Christmas mode, it's fine but just make all LEDs flashing during whole nights :shock: ...

Is there any solution for that? Ram-Boot U-boot and 2.6 kernel without stop watchdog feeding? And no Christmas fireworks either...

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:13 am 

Welcome idhly!

I´d guess you´re mixing up some things here:

idhly wrote:
I recompile the kernel with the solution from weini to unset "CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y". And it doesn't help.
This only solves the problem that the box will freeze after you push a button when you use u-boot.

Your problem sound more related to (from http://www.linuxnotincluded.pwp.blueyon ... l-ls2.html)
LNI´s website wrote:
Using u-boot-load.sh leads to the above results on devices with standard OpenLink installed. On some LinkStations reboot has been modified to send a reboot command to the microcontroller. This is indicated by the fast blinking of the power LED immediately after running u-boot-load.sh. Once the microcontroller receives a reboot command, the reboot process cannot be stopped. The microcontroller will reboot the LinkStation 5 min after receiving the reboot command.

If you find yourself in the above situation you can only test the RAM build of U-Boot by booting your LinkStation with the microcontroller watchdog disabled. Now you can use the procedure described above with one caveat: when the microcontroller watchdog is disabled, pressing the buttons will have no effect so you will not be able to test the behaviour of the minimal console. When you finish testing, press and hold the power button and the LinkStation will power off.
To work this around, you need to keep the reset button pressed when you power on the box (-> christimas tree mode). I had the same issue when I flashed my box with u-boot.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:03 am 

Thanks weini,

What a shame I missed that important part of LNI article. I agree with you, this exactly should be the reason for rebooting of my LS2.

I think the only solution is to flash the U-boot. Indeed, I need more time to study how to make it safer.. :P

Great thanks to all hard working guys like LNI here, you make things happened. :up: