the answer is yes, but you might have to jump through a few hoops...
if I remember correctly, the installer by default mangles some bits when it sets up the partitions, so they aren't readable as a normal ext2/3 partition would be. If I remember correctly, you may have to run the program "fix_ext2_magic" on that partition in order to be able to mount it normally. and then untar the freelink tmpimage.gz on it.
Another option would be to tftp-boot your LS2, use mkfs.ext3 to set up your hda1 fresh, and then untar the freelink tmpimage.gz on it.
I'm thinking that foonas-em is the only tftp-boot image we have for the LS2.
I was in a rush to answer your post, and I now reread it...
1. So thanks to the great work that has been done here I had my LS2 running Freelink with UBoot flashed on to it. All was great until one day I found the boot partition had gone bad. Now I have a LS2 with UBoot and all partitions are wiped clean.
2. Is it possible to write the Freelink images to the hard drive directly from say another linux box and then reinsert the drive into the LS2?
3. UBoot works great but I suspect I can no longer use the Freelink firmware update program.
4. If this is not possible does that mean I would have to find a way to reflash the original loader on to the LS2?
I am looking for the best way to get back to having a LS2 with Freelink and UBoot. Then I can move on to trying for a 2.6 kernel.
1. This is a hdd w/ no partitions on it? Just a blank drive?
2. Yes, as long as the partitions are normal ext2/3. If the partitions were created by the Buffalo LInkStation Updater, then you'd need to run the fix_ext2_magic program on it to unmangle the partitions bits.
3. That is correct, uboot makes it impossible (as far as I know) to use the LS Updater program on it. But you can still tftp-boot it with foonas-em. http://foonas.org/index.php/Foonas-em:TFTPBoot-lsmipsel
4. Uboot is so good (in my opinion) that there is no reason to go back to the original bootloader. That is just my opinion, though.
LS1 (foonas, nfs, Tranmission
print server, Firefly
for my Roku
Various LS-Pros v1,v2 (unbricked w/ serial & jtag)
KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org
lately... => wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'