Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:18 am 
Site Admin

... eiji`s loader is bundled in andre`s webinstaller already....

i heard that kuroguy sent the LS2 he unbricked to linuxnotincluded yesterday...so it should be there in 2 weeks.

as this box has serial access it would good to see what happens after loading the kernel...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

This is great news. If LNI can un-lock the UBoot issues then this would also open up the kernel build issues too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

lb_worm wrote:
This is great news. If LNI can un-lock the UBoot issues then this would also open up the kernel build issues too.

UBoot on all boxes would be great :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:00 am 
Site Admin

What I would love to see is a tftp-bootable firmware with uboot, like the dboxes have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:22 am 
Site Admin

andre wrote:
What I would love to see is a tftp-bootable firmware with uboot, like the dboxes have.

i would like to have an Uboot option to boot from /dev/sda1!...then i would be able to boot from an usbstick....

now that you saw that you know why i like my dbox2....as long as the UBoot-bootloader is working everything can be recovered...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Can't you simply pass a kernel parameter to uboot?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

andre wrote:
Can't you simply pass a kernel parameter to uboot?

i think so too. i even added support for most of the usb-stuff directly in the 2.4.33.3_v3-kernel.

just had no time to mess with this....tampakuro tried that but somehow was no successfull. but i still think this works as the NSLU2-guys are also booting from an usb-stick/usb-hdd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:41 am 

LS 2 Kernel development seems to be quite dead at the moment (no offense, sorry).

Is anybody out there aware that someone is currently working on this?
Did the LS 2 that have been sended around get to their targets?

Of course, LS Pro is the new toy! But the LS 2 has quite a large installed base and all owner would be very happy to be able to run a 2.6 kernel on it.

Maybe somebody could give a short status update?

TIA
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Admin

i emailed with Linuxnotincluded a week ago because i still try to get him the terastation pro he earned via the bounty from buffalo/revogear.

he told me that he had some time lately to look at porting UBoot to the LS2. unfortunately Mipsel is not that highly supported as PPC/powerpc was.
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKS ... hitectures

he told me that has to code much initialisation-stuff on his own.....thats why it will take longer.
most important thing is that he wrote that he still plans to finish the uboot port to the LS2.

regarding the 2.6-kernel on the LS2:
well, jonli447 is currently working hard with lb_worm to get a late kernel working on the LS pro/LS Live. they worked several months on this in the dark. i think they have the needed info they need now. thats why it is more important to get this done....i think it is a personal thing between jonli447/lb_worm and the ls-pro kernel now ;)

nenik2 also mentioned it lately that he might mess with the LS2-kernel when he finished the debugging of his dvb-kernel-module-problems.

thats why there is no progress on the LS2 front. jonli447 was the opinion that it might not take that long to port a 2.6-kernel on the LS2 as there are all needed documents available for download. that was the problem with the LS Pro...marvel does not host the needed docs for downloading...

so....it is still planed. we know there are many LS2 users out there. manpower (guys who can code C and who have messed with the kernel before are missing!) is the problem....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:54 pm 

Many tanks for your immeditate replay!

So there is still some hope to get my LS 2 up to kernel 2.6. Too bad that I lack any kernel development knowledge myself.

CU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

If I get a donated LS2, then I will do the LS2 kernel project. However, our resources need to be focused on the new server/site at the moment. We spent I believe $50 USD ($30 for the box, plus shipping), but the flash was completely destroyed. That is why currently no developer has worked on the LS2 kernel project, as was planned. Furthermore, mindbender is correct, in that I (and many others) are quite busy with the arm9 kernels/development. :(

Now, I know this may upset some people, but the LS2 is quite obsolete and I am not quite convinced anymore that pursuing LS2 kernel development is worth it. However, a donated or very cheap working LS2 might convince me and others else wise. So, I'll make good on working on the project, provided we don't have to exhaust resources. Otherwise, it will have to wait until later when resources become available or when another person with an LS2 pursues the project him(her)self (Note, a Development LS2 would need to be sent to kuroguy for installation of serial/JTAG components, and then to me or another developer....the price for parts and shipping is included in the resource expense).

Perhaps linuxnotincluded is willing to work on the kernel, so we can save expenses (sorry to put you on the spot LNI, I know you're busy ;) )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:05 pm 

jonli447

I have a very very NOISY battered but fully functional ls2,
you can have. I would prefer to ship sans Hd for postage reasons.

pm if interested to work out the details of posting Im uk based.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I have responded growlly :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have a replacement fan for that unit too as well as a soldering iron for the jtag and serial.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:01 pm 
Betatester

Top man growlley!!

I've just realised that I've been very selfish in the fact the I killed my LS2's HD a while back and it's been sitting gathering dust ever since. I would'nt mind letting science have a poke around at it, but would love it back at some stage (I am just a poor man with many mouths to feed !!!)

growlley : ----

what HDD is in your LS2?? :P