Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: PPC kernel discontinued
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Mostly due to the lack of time, but also due to the decreasing number of PPC boxes, the fact Sylver is out, and I don't even use the latest kernel myself (I'm on variant-nfs), have made me think things over during my vacation.

My line of kernel builds, starting IIRC with 2.6.15, will end with kernel the upstream support for kernel 2.6.25.15/v112 -- now. Security fixes to the Debian etch kernel (variant-nfs) will be available.

I would like to thank everyone for their trust, help, cooperation, donations, and their patience, as not everything went as smooth as I like it.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Thank you andre!

Your service has been the most important ones in the linkstationwiki.net era IMHO.....thank you for providing us with the latest stuff for such a long time.

Is there anything i could do for you? does the webinstaller work properly from the nas-central.org server? if not we could fix that if you want? its working very reliable the last months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 am 
Site Admin

The webinstaller is fine and will not be removed as far as I can see into the future. One thing that bit me in the past is the non-working FTP access; not kernel-related in the strict sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 am 
Site Admin

"variant-nfs", a Debian based kernel 2.6.18 to allow for NFS [rw]size > 8192, has been discontinued as well. User are advised to no longer use the old kernels, as security implications of the latest "variant-nfs" are likely according to Debian.

The reason for the discontinuation is a happy one: With the help of the linux-nfs mailing list, after almost two years, I found the cause and the cure for the bad sizes in a kernel parameter.

echo 32768 > /proc/fs/nfsd/max_block_size

cures it. The NFS server must not be running when you set the size. Test the results with

cat /proc/fs/nfsd/max_block_size

As kernel 2.6.29.* works fine for me, I'm planning to release a new "variant-latest" kernel based on, and limited to, 2.6.29.* soon, to fix possible security implications with later kernels. But as I can't test any kernels based on the kernel loader mechanism any more since I'm on UBoot, I would need someone on the kernel loader (i.e., non-UBoot users on PPC boxes) to test if it kernel works for them. Testing is safe.