Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:36 am 

I may need to configure Samba with the store do attributes = yes option. According to the Man page shown here, it looks like kernel support is required. I will go ahead and give it a try, but thought I would ask first.
Quote:
store dos attributes (S)
If this parameter is set Samba attempts to first read DOS attributes (SYSTEM, HIDDEN, ARCHIVE or READ-ONLY)
from a filesystem extended attribute, before mapping DOS attributes to UNIX permission bits (such as occurs
with map hidden and map readonly). When set, DOS attributes will be stored onto an extended attribute in
the UNIX filesystem, associated with the file or directory. For no other mapping to occur as a fall-back,
the parameters map hidden, map system, map archive and map readonly must be set to off. This parameter
writes the DOS attributes as a string into the extended attribute named "user.DOSATTRIB". This extended
attribute is explicitly hidden from smbd clients requesting an EA list. On Linux the filesystem must have
been mounted with the mount option user_xattr in order for extended attributes to work, also extended
attributes must be compiled into the Linux kernel.

Default: store dos attributes = yes

The reason I ask is that I plan on using my Kurobox with TiVo Desktop software on a PC, which has a bug that prevents it from saving shows to a NAS unless it can fiddle with the dos attributes of the desktop.ini file in fthe folder where it saves the shows. I speculate that they do this to prevent people saving copyrighted materials on network drives and thus potentially violate their terms of service agreement to keep the shows in their own home on the PC running TiVo Desktop. cmetcalf at tivocommunity has described using store dos attributes = yes as a workaround for that limitation of TiVo Desktop. I want to try it out.

Anyway, I won't be doing the experiment before tomorrow and will skip trying if the 2.6 kernel from Andre's web installer is known not to support it. If no one is sure, I will go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks for your time.

CuriousMark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Should be supported; see the .config for details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:14 pm 

Works like a charm. Thank you very much.

For those people with Linkstations, terrastations, and various flavors of kurobox here is a quick howto.

Edit /etc/fstab to add the "user_xattr" option to the file system containing the share you want to make TiVo Desktop compatible. Here is my modified fstab as an example. Yours may show /dev/sdaX instead of /dev/hdaX which is fine. The X may differ on your NAS, make sure you add the attribute to the correct file system.

Code:
Serenity:/etc/samba# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>               <dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=20                   0 0
/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults                        0 0
/dev/hda3       /mnt            ext3    defaults,noatime,user_xattr             0 0
Serenity:

Next, edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to add the store dos attributes line to the share you want to make TiVo Desktop compatible. Below is an example of my modified smb.conf with the addition. Your shares will be different, and you may have other options which are different. Most likely you will have settings that provide security for the share instead of the ones shown below which leave the share wide open. (I may add some security later).

Code:
Serenity:/etc/samba# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
security = share
workgroup = global
create mode = 777
directory mode = 777

[share]
comment = Serenity Share
path = /mnt/share
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok = yes

[tv]
comment = Folder for Television Shows
path = /mnt/tv
read only = no
public = yes
guest ok  = yes
store dos attributes = yes

Serenity:/etc/samba#

If you have done this all in one session, simply restart the NAS for all changes to take effect. If you restarted the NAS after editing fstab, you can do the following here to force samba to re-read the configuration file.

Code:
Serenity:/etc/samba# /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba restart
Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Serenity:

That should be it.

Andre, or other moderators, if this belongs in a different place, please feel free to move it.

EDIT: I created a wiki article in the Buffalo area, it was fun. http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Make_your_NAS_Compatible_with_TiVo_Desktop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Nice article, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

PS: You might consider adding

large readwrite = no

to your smb.conf, which might speed things up (or not)