Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:28 am 

Hi,

I'm using an instream kernel on a gentoo Kuro HG. My uname:
Code:
Linux gmyth 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 #1 Tue Oct 16 03:22:32 EDT 2007 ppc 82xx Linkstation I/Kurobox(HG) GNU/Linux

This is essentially a vanilla kernel.org kernel with gentoo patches, so it is very much a lyakh kernel documented in http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Kurobox_support_in_stock_2.6_kernels. It uses /dev/sda for the PATA driver. It uses /dev/ttyS0 for the serial port for the AVR.

I see andre has many kernels available for download and it's not clear to me whether they are instream kernels, or more like the legacy kernels with patches handed down from baulab or javascout with perhaps more development by others. Do they use /dev/hda or /dev/sda? Do they use /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 for the AVR? Do they send the init string to the AVR to cancel the watchdog timer?

I also see Sylver's thread regarding the universal kernel, so I have the same questions regarding the universal kernel.

I'm asking these questions because I am preparing a gentoo image for PPC boxes, which I am intending to include the 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 kernel. But if many people in the community are familiar with andre's kernels and using the webinstaller, maybe I should include an ebuild for the webinstaller so people can download new kernels with the webinstaller? They might perhaps have to change the fstab file to use /dev/hda and the inittab to change the ttyS0/1 for the agetty and make sure avr_evtd uses the right port.

Thanks for any explanations or comments! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Take a look at the .config, that will answer many questions -- it's a patched kernel, available via SVN; changing /etc/fstab is not enough. Also at /etc/init.d/avr_evtd. PATA is a problem, I avoid it for the time being. But it is one of my next tasks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am 
Developer

My universal kernel is a kernel with support for all Buffalo boxes (Linkstations/Kuroboxes & Terastations), it's based on the commonly available patch for linkstations/kuroboxes and have been modified to support :
- Dynamic detection of RAM amount
- Dynamic detection of CPU speed
- MICON V2 (ie driver for the AVR chip that is in the Terastation Pro & new devices based on ARM processor)
It's also supporting few ARM devices (at least Kurobox Pro & Linkstation Pro).
I'll also add some other features (don't know when) like AVR Chip init from kernel (where it's done in some startup scripts for now).
My kernel is still in a "beta" state and few things may not work correctly yet ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:53 pm 

Perhaps you could clarify what advantage the 'universal kernel' over the vanilla kernel has for ppc users, which supports the ppc platforms straight out of kernel.org with no extra patches... thanks! If there is a compelling reason to use this instead I will integrate it into foonas!

Click here for more information and donations

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:37 pm 
Developer

Well, the support in vanilla kernel needs a special u-boot version and is only available for linkstations/kurobox, moreover I doubt that everything is in the vanilla kernel (like AVR chip driver ...). For people have a Terastation/Terastation Pro, my kernel is the only alternative (as long as u-boot is not available on these platforms). My kernel is also allowing to make a single kernel binary compatible with several hardware (for now with kurobox/kurobox HG/linkstation/linkstation HG), this can't be done using the vanilla support ...
But anyway my kernel is still "beta" and it seems to have an issue with RTC (date) management on ppc platforms ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:44 pm 

So for the ppc TS & TSP (and obviously the ARM platforms for the time being), this should probably be added to foonas! Useful info, thx :) Also I know you are classifying this as beta for obvious reasons, but is there a preferred rev for testing the latest one for kuropro or should I checkout the head rev?

Click here for more information and donations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:55 pm 

Sylver wrote:
My universal kernel is a kernel with support for all Buffalo boxes (Linkstations/Kuroboxes & Terastations), it's based on the commonly available patch for linkstations/kuroboxes and have been modified to support :
- Dynamic detection of RAM amount
- Dynamic detection of CPU speed
- MICON V2 (ie driver for the AVR chip that is in the Terastation Pro & new devices based on ARM processor)
It's also supporting few ARM devices (at least Kurobox Pro & Linkstation Pro).
I'll also add some other features (don't know when) like AVR Chip init from kernel (where it's done in some startup scripts for now).
My kernel is still in a "beta" state and few things may not work correctly yet ...

Is this work being pushed upstream? It would be greatly appreciated and would reduce the work of maintenance and, as the kernel interfaces change, the drivers would be fixed.

BTW, you mention that for booting vanilla kernels there is a need of a special uBoot (I have a standard Kuro). Could you provide some pointers on that?

Thanks, Rogério Brito.