Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 am 

I'm running testing for about 5 years now. Except for the HG, it never ruined any of my systems... I guess that for the HG, I'll have to stick to Etch with backports.

Anyway, how do you see this in the long term? Eventually, lenny will become stable; how will this be handled? As it seems like now, 2.4 won't run simply because support is dropped, and 2.6 won't run because it doesn't like to boot with the new glibc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:10 am 
Site Admin

When Lenny becomes stable, I'll update my own system to it. Fortunately, they have agreed on shorter release cycles than they used to have...

The glibc version the kernel was compiled on, should be irrelevant. It's self-contained. So there are two possibilities: Either you can still boot into 2.4 as an emergency fallback, and use insmod/loader.o/2.6 (I'm pretty sure you can because it's the very first thing loaded after the kernel itself); or you could flash UBoot.

I've got to check my system again, can boot into 2.4 fine, just might be unable to use the modules? Or could I.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:17 am 

You mean that 2.4 will boot nicely without modutils? If so (and if the new glibc won't hurt it), then 2.4 should boot indeed.

If the installed glibc version is irrelevant to the boot process, I don't understand why my 2.6 won't boot anymore. I updated only two things, and 2.6 stopped booting: libc6 (which caused an update of tzdata as well) and module-init-tools. Of course, it could be either one; do you think module-init-tools is a more likely candidate?

Just installed v85; seems to work just fine (with etch).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Admin

If you can load the kernel, you are fine. It contains support for all LS "core functions", no modules are needed for a Buffalo style NAS. So UBoot will work in any case.

Several solutions-to-future-problems-I-might-or-might-not-have ;) seem possible. One is to have two OSs, with 2.6's / on a different partition than 2.4's; or, as my openlinkhelper does, install legacy code into /usr/local. This is one thing you could try too (have a backup copy of your system, check what you untar before untaring into /).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 pm 

Did some more testing, cause I still cannot put my finger on it, and came up with this result:

On my etch/stable 2.4/2.6 (v85) HG, if I remove the modutils package, kernel 2.6 won't boot anymore (switches back to 2.4), but 2.4 still does. Installing modutils again restores 2.6.

Any idea why this is happening?

Sidenote: The two systems on different partitions seems nice, but obviously imposes additional maintenance. OTOH, if you keep one system as a fall-back option only, one for normal use, and maybe one to play with, it's not too bad. I haven't installed UBoot yet, because it's rather daunting to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

You need some insmod that works with 2.4, for the kernel loader. I might provide one in /boot/ some day

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Would you please test the bootloader in my tmp directory for me?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:04 pm 

I didn't see your reply before, so I'm rather late getting back to you...

I again want to move to Lenny, but I'd rather not blow up my system (again). From this thread, it seems that installing lenny results in being unable to load a 2.4 module. I upgraded to your newest kernel (I guess it's 109 or something like that), and I now have a /boot/insmod.ppc file. Is that supposed to fix my earlier issue? Or do you still want me to do some test?

I also read that the newer kernels should support the LS HG out-of-the-box. Does that mean that I can just use Debian-provided kernels?

Best,
Koen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:14 pm 

I took the plunge and upgraded to Lenny. Seems to work fine, so I guess you fixed something :-) Thanks!

Koen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Most interesting! Are you using my bootloader, and does it also work when you switch to kernel 2.4 (kernel24.sh; kernel26.sh to hopefully get back)?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:45 am 

Ah, your question made me realize that I installed UBoot, so I guess it may not be using your kernel loader trick.

With UBoot, can I still boot in the 'old' way? If so, how?

Koen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 am 
Site Admin

You could boot into LNI's 2.4.3*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:46 am 

And the inevitable question: How?

I have installed UBoot, and I can reach it through netcat, but I have no idea what to do with it or how to do it.

Koen