Buffalo NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the Linkstation Wiki community
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:33 pm 

Hi,

I currently am running a debianized linkstation with kernel 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation and would like to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel. I have read through the various posts and am not sure I follow what needs to be done to achieve this, has anyone done this with success? if so care to share the steps you took?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

UBOOT-way:
this is a somehow inofficial topic as there are still problems with 2 different hardware revisions of the LS2.

LNIs uboot worked on one LS2 revision but it was not flashable because of the different flashchip to the other hardware revision.

if it finally was successfully tested on LS2 with the non working hardware revision we will announce it very big on the wiki news.

WEBINSTALLER way:
become a betatester for andre`s webinstaller. i think he has already everything inside to load a 2.6 kernel on the LS2 via its bootloader (loader.o).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:02 pm 

I followed the Uboot guide on LNI website and had to disable the watchdog timer in order to run the ram copy of Uboot, it seemed to work ok in that i could press S to stop the boot sequence and issue various commands, however when I then told it to continue booting it said loading kernel, a few things were displayed on screen (no errors) and it then just stopped i.e. did not boot the OS, I am assuming this is because I was using the kernel LNI supplies which does not include the modules directory that normally resides in /lib - is this assumption correct or should it have booted to a login prompt?.

I dont want to flash Uboot to the firmware yet until I can guarantee its going to boot correctly but really want to upgrade to 2.6 so I can get my printer working.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:22 pm 

I have now got 2.6 to boot - it was booting all along just did not know because it takes a while to appear on the network, however for some reason as soon as I am able to ssh in to the linkstation it drops off the network, it appears to do it at the same point every time, it even happens if I ping it and dont log in, i.e. it replies to pings and then after about 5 mins it stops replying - any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 am 
Site Admin

I _do not_ have an LS2 anymore, so I am not an expert on what you are trying but the dropout after 5 minutes to me sounds like it could be an avr_evtd problem... I said _could_ be... may be that is some place to start, or someone will correct me and point you in a more correct direction...

have you tried a port scan to see what ports are open for those first 5 minutes?

KuroPro, LS2 & KuroHG (foonas)
Working on davysweather.dyndns.org lately...

=> wooohooo!
wooohooo!
Unknown command 'wooohooo!' - try 'help'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:23 am 

I thought starting the linkstation up while holding down the red button on the back disabled the watchdog - isnt that what avr_evtd did? I have not done a port scan on the box yet but I know for definite that port 22 is open, normally the only other port I have open on it is 80. I initially thought it was due to the nfs service starting as that was the last entry in the log file but I disabled that and it made no difference.Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:26 am 

hi kernoman, I do have a LS2 with MIPSel and Macronix flash chip (The flashing problem seems only occur in ST chip). After a couple of days studying on this forum. I encourage myself to flash U-Boot and Kernel into my box last night. It works fine with my stock firmware in par(0:1) and Debian 2.6.22ls2 in par(0:3). I mainly follow the steps from Lupin in the famous LNI u-boot and 2.6 kernel HOW-TO post.

I would say, if you know exactly what you are doing. Especially for those danger activities e.g erase and re-fill the flash rom with "erase" and "cp.b". Then flashing U-boot is quite safe. At least you can use U-boot to load the kernel (&rootfs) from somewhere else via NFS in case of non-bootable anymore.

So my suggestion is, check your chip type firstly and then go though the post of following very careful.

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Information/MIPSelFlashROM
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3769&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And then decide whether flash U-boot into your system or just use ram+loader with Christmas tree...;-)

Btw, if you want get help from others, you need tell us more details. e.g. flinfo output(chip type), partation topology...etc

Good luck